New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Pic of the Day - Take Two!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Here is my pic of the day />

These bastards are NOT going to take over my feeders and drive away all the good birds!!!

This thing is fast and accurate, a hand-pump pellet pistol, a target pistol my Dad used to love playing with
It's 18" long and works like a champ
Hey, I grew up on a farm, taking care of pests is just a part of life as I know it
And after all, I just can't use the 30.06 M1 Garand in this neighborhood />
Doug is a meanie
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A 2
Doug is a meanie
I suspect most people here already knew that

What's funny is after I get a few more they won't even stop in my yard
It's the same thing every year, it takes me a while to train them
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 393 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by A 2' timestamp='1354306534' post='22182308
Doug is a meanie />
I suspect most people here already knew that />

Doug! I thought you were a bird lover! They're just trying to survive -having to consume their body weight in food every day to make it through the night in winter weather. I'm not going to preach- but it is a life.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Headchef
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1354306676' post='22182319
[quote name='A 2' timestamp='1354306534' post='22182308']
Doug is a meanie />
I suspect most people here already knew that />

Doug! I thought you were a bird lover! They're just trying to survive -having to consume their body weight in food every day to make it through the night in winter weather. I'm not going to preach- but it is a life.
[/quote]

Very well said. Felt much the same way, but who am I to say anything. I have my own flaws, hence I laughed it off.

I agree with this definition of pest: Pest (organism), an animal or plant detrimental to humans or human concerns. Birds can be damaging to crops and considered pests. This guy was only trying to get at the bird feeder - not a pest in my point of view, but I did not grow up farming like my some of my ancestors did.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:18 PM

European Starlings are an introduced species; IMO they should be eliminated on sight. Anyone who has sympathy for them has obviously never seen what a place looks like after thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of them roost in the trees overnight...unless you're the type that feels we should let rats thrive in the city.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

When the Starlings fly through here on their way back North for the spring migration they can wipe out my bird feeders in an hour thus taking away my local birds food. A real pain.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Headchef
I'm a good bird lover, these things are just pests, pigs actually.
Can I afford to feed them and the good birds? Nope.
I can though teach them to stay out of my yard.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
European Starlings are an introduced species; IMO they should be eliminated on sight. Anyone who has sympathy for them has obviously never seen what a place looks like after thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of them roost in the trees overnight...unless you're the type that feels we should let rats thrive in the city.
Exactly!

I did grow up on a farm. We shot woodchucks all the time, it was that or let the man who rented the fields kill them, actually torture them, by smoking them to death in their holes. We also had horses, and the last thing ya need is a pet (horse) breaking its leg by tripping in a chuck hole.

Starlings are a huge pest. I don't mind how piggy Bluejays can be, they are a good bird, even though they can ravage my feeders I would never shoot one of them. Starlings though, just plain destructive. I would rather look out and see a couple happy Cardinals than see my entire front yard just black with hundreds of Starlings.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by A 2
I agree with this definition of pest: Pest (organism), an animal or plant detrimental to humans or human concerns. Birds can be damaging to crops and considered pests. This guy was only trying to get at the bird feeder - not a pest in my point of view, but I did not grow up farming like my some of my ancestors did.

Starling Problems

What type of damage can occur?
Problems are typically associated with massive gatherings of roosting and nesting starlings including damage to trees, buildings, and crops. Droppings can quickly accumulate causing unsanitary, unsightly and unsafe conditions. Bird droppings are corrosive and can damage stone, metal, car finishes and masonry. Nests built in machinery, drainage pipes and other available building spaces can damage property, create fire hazards and spread unsanitary nesting materials. In agricultural areas, flocks of starlings cause significant damage to crops harvesting seeds and young plants. They will also take advantage of feed lots and can actually cause significant depletion of feed supplies. Large flocks can also be a danger to aircraft when active near airports.

Do starlings carry disease?
Yes. Starlings, and their droppings, can present a health hazard to people, pets and livestock. Although typically a problem only with large accumulations of droppings, diseases can be transferred from starling droppings including histoplasmosis, toxoplasmosis, encephalitis and more. Always exercise caution when dealing with bird droppings.

One of the more serious health concerns that starlings have is the "fungal respiratory disease histoplasmosis. The fungus Histoplasma capsulatum can grow in soils under bird roosts, and spores become airborne in dry weather, especially when the site is disturbed {such as cutting the lawn}. Histoplasmosis, in its most extreme state can cause blindness and/or death to humans.

Starlings also play host to ticks, fleas, mites and lice. These parasites can infest buildings, which can then be transferred to people and animals. These aggressive birds are even known to drive out native songbirds and woodpeckers by taking over nesting sites.

http://www.crittrcatchr.com/animal-c...nati-area.html

I think the issue is a bit more complex than just a bird trying to get to the feeder.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't feed birds because entitlements leads to dependency... (I'm speaking metaphorically )

Quick Reply: Pic of the Day - Take Two!