New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Pic of the Day

Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Year resolutions anyone?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAY FOUR...

Did not get chit done yesterday, distracted and busy with new furniture deliveries
Today though I'm ready to start painting the bottom shelf, and resolve the cutting hole and altering the top so the saw can be attached
I did though get out to Home Depot for a new can of my custom grey, this is my color, had it mixed years ago to match the new electrical panel box so the big piece of plywood it is mounted to is a perfect match, and then one thing leads to another and all my other machine stands have been painted the same black & grey
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Riche
Have you considered drawers in the bottom? Mine is mounted on the other end of that metal bench that has 6 drawers. Very handy. It holds saw blades, the remote pedel for operating the saw, clamps, measuring tools and lots of my wood working hand tools. There is a power strip on the back too that is handy for my purposes for running other power tools when the unit is moved outside.
Again, your setup sounds great, very nice

Drawers would be cool, but for me not a real big need, there are two drawer units that each have four drawers that make up my existing work bench. If I did not have all that storage drawers would have been a great idea for the bottom of the saw.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Riche' timestamp='1325191031' post='21271819
Have you considered drawers in the bottom? Mine is mounted on the other end of that metal bench that has 6 drawers. Very handy. It holds saw blades, the remote pedel for operating the saw, clamps, measuring tools and lots of my wood working hand tools. There is a power strip on the back too that is handy for my purposes for running other power tools when the unit is moved outside.
Again, your setup sounds great, very nice

Drawers would be cool, but for me not a real big need, there are two drawer units that each have four drawers that make up my existing work bench. If I did not have all that storage drawers would have been a great idea for the bottom of the saw.
When my Dad built the table for his Craftsmen table saw years ago he put in slides for a large cardboard box under the saw that captured the saw dust. Simple and effective. Periodically he'd slide the box out and carry it out to the compost pile to empty it.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
When my Dad built the table for his Craftsmen table saw years ago he put in slides for a large cardboard box under the saw that captured the saw dust. Simple and effective. Periodically he'd slide the box out and carry it out to the compost pile to empty it.
Dad's are clever... that was a great idea, I might add that, will have to think if it is needed
What my Dad did was build a housing around the bottom area of the blade, that has a standard 3" round connector, and the electrical switch for the saw has an outlet on it. The hose from the shop vac connects to the 3" round and the shop vac plugs into the outlet, so when you turn on the saw the shop vac comes on and it takes most of the saw dust right into the vac. It makes the setup loud, but it works. There are times I don't use it though because sometimes I can't think through all that noise.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 AM

DAY FIVE...

It was a good day, lots got done, test fitted saw to the top, got the top hole cut out, layed out the location of the metal braces that the top bolts to, got two coats of paint on the bottom shelf pieces, and one coat onto the top.

Today is more painting, screwing the bottom shelf pieces in, bolting the top down, and finally getting the beast mounted. I am so looking forward to picking this thing up for the last f'ing time...
Old 12-31-2011, 04:47 AM

Wow, it's really coming together nicely! I wish I had a hobby like that.

I don't think working with saws is a good idea for me though, I might lose one or more fingers
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

My dad was using one of those saws to cut a piece of wood and had his fingers too close to the blade,
he took a little bit off of all the fingers on his right hand...wasn't pretty.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
My dad was using one of those saws to cut a piece of wood and had his fingers too close to the blade,
he took a little bit off of all the fingers on his right hand...wasn't pretty.
My Dad is missing the tip of one finger for the same reason. A friend at work has a full wood working shop at home, but is missing 1/2 of every finger on one hand.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 AM

Another new years resolution