New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Oil Change from Hell

Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Smile Oil Change from Hell

I've had an interesting morning I thought I'd share with all of you...

I recently had the oil changed in my Subaru (thank god not the S2000) when I took it in for a state inspection. I was at a Midas that I had been to before here in Buffalo, that I had been to before as well as a couple of my friends and I'd never heard of any problems with them before. This was on Wednesday I had the oil changed.

Fast forward to this morning. I'm driving on the 990 on my way to the university. I go over a small bump in the road and all of a sudden I hear a loud bang near my muffler. I look in the rear view mirror and see a ton of smoke. For obvious reasons I immediately pull over.

There is a ton of smoke coming from the hood of the car and a lovely trail of oil leading up to where I pulled over. Not to mention the puddle of oil collecting underneath the car. I knew it was one of two things - either the filter came off, or the drain plug was gone. Even though there were places I could take the car just a couple of miles away, I knew for certain the engine would sieze before I could get it there, so I'd have to have it towed.

As soon as we got the car raised up on the tow truck, my suspicions were confirmed. The drain plug was gone.

Long story short, I got it to a local Subaru dealer just about 3 miles away, and they took care of putting in a new plug, oil, and cleaning the oil off the tires. All said, including the towning, I'm out $108.

Do you guys think I'd be able to go back to the place that changed my oil and get some sort of compensation for that? Seems pretty obvious to me that they didn't put in the drain plug properly, and the oil change was less than a week ago. What do you think?

And at least it didn't happen to the S2000. I'd be a lot more upset.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would think that you could and it's worth a try but I'll bet they are not going to refund you for money that you spent elsewhere. They will say that if you would've went to them they would've fixed it for free (which wouldn't cost them anywhere near $108) and so they probably won't do anything but maybe give you a free oil change the next time around (but don't get your hopes up).
Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 PM

man that really sux~ just more reason for me to start doing my own oil changes... especially with the S. i have an impreza too, 2005 wrx wagon!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:14 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

At least you were smart enough to stop before too much damage was done.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That really sucks man. At least the motor is saved. This is exactly why I prefer to do my own oil changes. Damn young high school punks.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Serious engine failure could have resulted. I would go back to this Midas and give them hell. Don't just let the manager of the local store hear about it, make it known to the regional / national levels.

Make it clear to them that you will have the engine fully diagnosed (taken apart and examined) at their expense. If there are any damage to the engine, it will be fixed at their expense.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 AM

UPDATE:

I went back to the Midas and made it known my displeasure. Apparently corporate is going to be sending me a check to cover all my expenses incurred by having the car towed, oil cleaned off the undercarriage, etc.

The manager was really nice about the whole thing, he made sure I had his name and business card. When I left, he was going back with a nasty look on his face (I'm assuming he was about to ream out whoever performed the oil change.)

We'll see if I get that check or not. I'll give it a month or so.

At least it happened this week, and not next week (final exam week).

As far as having them tear apart the engine, I'm not going to have that done for 3 reasons:

1) If they managed not to tighten the drain plug on the oil pan, who knows what would happen if I had them tear apart the engine?

2) Next week is finals week for me (5 finals in 4 days - eek!) and I can't be hampered by lack of transportation. And for those of you who drive your S in the winter - I'm not crazy like you guys are!

3) I pulled over immediately and shut the engine off. Never saw the oil pressure warning light come on. There was still oil coming out of the oilpan when I got out to have a look - it takes a while for those suckers to drain. I doubt there was any damage.

So we'll see if I get the check...I'm not holding my breath, but they were really much more accomodating than I had anticipated.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM

For the engine tear down examination, I was referring to have Subaru do it.

But from your post, it looks like you saved it, and did not let it run without oil.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thrilled you decided to go back to Midas and speak your mind, crap workmanship cannot just be ignored. Please keep us informed of your overall situation - meaning I want to know if and when you get a check and the amount they decide to give you. I suspect you have no engine issues to worry about if you did indeed shut the car down quickly after the noise. You have to keep in mind you had some time as the oil drained out through the small drain plug. That type of oil loss is much slower than something like blowing out the bottom of the block.

The liability risk on a stupid mechanical failure like this is beyond imagination. Just think, say for example you were going at a good expressway speed, lost control of the car as it slipped on the oil, crashed and killed someone or yourself. I have seen cars go into walls from something as simple as a radiator leak because oil and anti-freeze and extremely slippery stuff!

And I love your comment on how you would have been much more pissed had it ben the S; funny how our winter rats seem to catch a bit more slack.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 AM

UPDATE:

I am honestly shocked. I received a check for the full amount of expenses I incurred because of this whole situation. Midas covered the cost of the tow, the subsequent oil change and new drain plug, even the charges I incurred to have all the oil cleaned up on the undercarriage of the car.

I really expected a huge knock-down, drag-out fight over this, but it seems that I walk away without being down any cash from the whole experience.