New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

OCTOBER 8th 2011: Rensselaer-Columbia Drive

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts
Red face OCTOBER 8th 2011: Rensselaer-Columbia Drive

OCTOBER 8th is the date for this drive. See info below.

We will meet at:

McDonald's
310 TROY RD & RT 4
RENSSELAER, NY 12144

Drive Starts at 10:30 AM
Expect to reach Hudson, NY around 12:30 to 1:00 PM
We should be back in Rensselaer by 3:30 PM

UPDATE 10/2 - I pre-drove the entire route and we are good to go. We have to be wary of deer, ATVs, joggers and cyclists. Everyone bring radios.

Please note:
- This drive will be scenic and hence undertaken at a leisurely pace
- The quality of roads we drive is of paramount importance and I'd rather have a shorter drive than have a long drive on boring stretches of asphalt.
- Indicate your interest to attend by posting below and letting me know if you can make it. We had 4 cars last year and I'd have no issues if more people wanted to come.

Here is a link to last years Drive

My original plan was to have the route finalized prior to Knapp, but with Irene and all the rain fall and damaged roads, I was unable to do much planning. However I did some driving this past saturday on a potential route and except for a 3 mile stretch, the roads seemed in good condition. This 3 mile stretch is a downhill, mountainous gravel road and was a lot of fun, but I want to warn people before hand (we will be driving slowly through there).

On the pre-drive I also got to drive some roads that were recently washed out and which were being traversed by 4X4's and dirt bikes, needless to say we are not doing those roads.

The plan is to start in Rensselaer County (East Greenbush area) and take the back roads into Columbia county. We could stop for a wine tasting at Hudson-Chatham Winery and for lunch in Hudson, NY. Following lunch we will follow the Hudson River back to Albany.

I will be doing another pre-drive (come rain or shine) on Saturday 9/24 and only once I'm happy will I conduct this tour.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

- aashish2
- Tadashi
- riggit tony +1

Tentative:
- S2KNFR
Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Reserved
Old 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Will advise...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 AM

in +1
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Weather looks really crappy for the rest of the week and then some Don't think you are going to get in a pre-drive over the weekend.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Weather looks really crappy for the rest of the week and then some Don't think you are going to get in a pre-drive over the weekend.
I will, even if it means I have to drive the Impreza

That way we will have a route in case the weather is nice on 10/1
Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

can't make it on oct 1 due to an afternoon wedding but what time are you doing the pre-drive tomorrow? Maybe i'll tag along if you don't mind
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

My story starts in 1950.

A young man with questionable prospects takes his wife to the hospital as she is starting labor. It is their second child. They arrive safely at the hospital - the blizzard has passed.

In those days, husbands did not go into the labor room - and certainly not into the delivery room. Birth was a passive activity for men, undertaken in a special room where they could smoke and pace.

Another young man was also in the waiting room, waiting for his wife to deliver him up a child.

Hours pass. The men strike up a little conversation and pass the time.

Suddenly, in the early morning hours, Dr. Gabby comes in, presenting himself in a rather excited manner. He says to the first young man: "You've scored a double! one with outside plumbing and one with inside plumbing!"

It takes a moment for this news to sink in, but then the young man is staggered and slumps into his chair. He and his wife were ready for one baby - but not two. The second young man offers congratulations. Then he reaches into his pocket, pulls out a nickle and offers it up to the fellow to help meet his additional expenses.

Five years pass, and the baby with inside plumbing goes to school. There she meets another little girl that she likes and they become lifelong friends. Turns out she is the daughter of the second young man. Two little girls, born in the same hospital on the same day and now in first grade together. They were inseparable for years and years until finally parted by marriage and relocation to distant cities.

Some 9 months ago they planned a reunion of sorts to be held in Lake Placid on October 1. This event prevents the Shirt from joining the drive.

I can imagine that this news comes as a body blow, but try your best to have fun without me.

Quick Reply: OCTOBER 8th 2011: Rensselaer-Columbia Drive