New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

NY speeding ticket advice

Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY speeding ticket advice

Got a ticket driving up to Syracuse last night. Was in a rental (big old Yukon), ticket was for 78 in a 65 (It was 11:30 pm and there was no-one else on the road). I haven't had a ticket for at least 10 years, no points/etc on the lic.

Really strange, Younger guy, he was on the other side of the highway and must have really wanted me, as he did a U-turn on the highway, hopped the grass divider (pretty sure he got the cruiser airborne doing it - I reminded me of the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies). When I saw him do it, I didn't actually think he was coming after me (I mean 78 IS speeding, but really?) figured he just got a "calling all cars" radio call.

Anyways, pulls me over (I'm expecting the "Hey buddy, some guy in a blue SUV just robbed a bank, show me your hands), but he just give me the ticket, and he's off. Strange thing is, there is no fine on the ticket. It's just a form to indicate if I am guilty/not-guilty, that I guess I have to send in to NY and wait for them to either send me a summons, or send me a bill. I am a little hesitant to simply check "guilty" and see what kind of bill shows up in the mail. I have no idea what I am pleading guilty to, simple speeding? I fear Im going to see the "You were going 78 in a school zone on Wednesday, driving a blue SUV, where there are cows, so here is your 10^6 dollar fine and give us your lic.) I mean, NY state is really hurting for cash right?

So what do I do? Hire one of those $150 a ticket lawyers, just go to the hearing myself, or just check guilty and see what happens.

Thanks much!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If you check guilty, you are looking at a $150+ fine. (Could be more, been awhile since I've had one.) If you can make it to the hearing, I would check not guilty, and get to the hearing early to meet with the DA. Explain that you haven't had a ticket in 10 years and that it was an unfamiliar rental car and see if you can get the ticket knocked down to a lesser offense.

Next time try to stay within 10mph of the speed limit. They generally let that go on the highways. I would go even slower if there is no one in front of me to draw attention first.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^ Yeah well times are tough and 78 is no longer a speed that will keep you from getting a ticket.

Was it a State Trooper (Dark Blue car) that pulled you over? If so, they dont negotiate because of the mandate given to them a couple years ago by their boss.

NH_S2K_Guy also got ticketed last year, he hired a lawyer and made it go away by paying a fine.

My suggestion:
1. Plead Not Guilty
2. Court will mail you back with a date.
3. Show up to court if not too much of a drive with a copy of your diving record (if its clean)
4. Or Hire a lawyer that can handle this for you.

You may have to pay close to $200 in fines. If you hired a lawyer it may cost you double that but then you have peace of mind.

If it was a State Trooper, dont count on them not showing up to court. They are required to show and will not offer you a deal. If you go make sure you present yourself to the judge in the best light so that he will let you off with a minimal fine. If you hire a lawyer then you dont need to worry about it, just be prepared to pay a few extra $$$.

Good luck to you
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep, this happened to me last fall coming home from Knapp.

Hire a lawyer, write a letter if there are any circumstances that would
warrant the increase in speed (mine was to avoid a larger trailer from
coming into my lane without seeing me), if you have a good driving
record, put that in the letter, send all the documentation to the lawyer
and they will represent you and most likely get it reduced.

My fine was dropped from 82 in a 65 to illegal parking on the pavement,
which is a non moving violation. Cost me around $150 total.

It's all just a money making scam for the town that you get pulled over
in. I have also been told that if you get pulled over in NY you WILL get
a ticket no question, then you have to fight it or plead guilty and pay
the fine.