New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

My adventure last night

Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My adventure last night

It all started simple enough, a car friend called and asked me to do him a favor. A simple, easy, fun for me kind of task. It just involved a quick trip to Eastview Mall after work, an easy 15-minute expressway run, and then a review of a product I know a fair amount about. Sounds simple. Sure. I’ll do it. I’m your man.

4:30- I look out the window at work and I can see less than 2-blocks away, think snow, lots of snow.
4:45- Depart work early to get a little jump on the 5:00 490 E traffic.
5:00- This was supposed to be a quick little expressway run. Damnn the expressway looks like a parking lot.
5:30- Yeeha, Eastview at last! I’m sure glad that stupid lady walking across the mall road looked up at the last second because there was no way I could have stopped for her, she just popped out between two cars. I wonder if I had run over her at 15-mph, would the skid plates have protected my transfer case from her huge girth? I wonder about these kinds of things…
5:40- Cool, nothing I like more than crawling around on a dirty floor while wearing my wingtips and black dress pants.
6:20- I’m done, review is completed. I have to go find a bathroom; my hands are filthy, good grief.
6:30- Back in the trusty truck. Let me do a doughnut or two in the parking lot before I leave, it would be a shame to waste all this fresh snow. WOW, I love these Hankook LT tires!
6:45- Yeeha, the thruway even feels like a slow moving parking lot, this snow is really coming down now. I could be home sucking down a cold beer right now, but nooooooooo.
7:15- Clearly that has to be one of the slowest trips I have ever made to transverse just 2 exits on the thruway.
7:20- OMG!!! That Buick is NEVER going to STOP. Holy Crap! I wish it were daylight out so I could see this in better detail. Cool, check that out, Buicks can fly, that sucker caught some really nice air. Moron flew right through that stop, through the T-intersection, across the road, and right out into the field. That must have been a hell of a ride; the field is a good 5-feet below the height of the road.
7:25- Good, some other person will play the good samaritan, sure glad the old guy was ok. I swear, had I been just 30 to 40 seconds farther up the road he would have T-boned me, probably would have pushed me off the road, totaled my truck, and gosh knows what would have happened to me.
7:30- Yahoo, home at last. Hey cool, look, I got a package on the front porch, wonder what it is, I don’t recall ordering anything recently.
7:35- Calling friend to report findings.
8:25- Finally… off the phone, so what’s in the package I wonder.
8:30- Unbelievable, or, well, very believable… The Buddhist law of cause and effect does not always manifest itself so quickly. The package contained a surprise gift, a perfectly very cool gift, wow, what a surprise, and how appropriate, from another car friend. I go out of my way to help one, and yet another goes out of their way to help me. I love this universe and car friends.
8:40- F’ it, I’m going for the Laphroaig, the one the Knapp S2000 people got for me, such a perfect way to finish up this evening.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if I had run over her at 15-mph, would the skid plates have protected my transfer case from her huge girth?
I dub thee... Al Bundy

What was the present?!?!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Jan 5 2011, 08:25 AM
What was the present?!?!
An original, in perfect condition, year 2000 Honda motorcycle brochure
And of course my yellow VFR looks awesome in it
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad I could brighten your day!

Also glad it remained a surprise. In the original post, I told everyone what you were getting. I knew you weren't online over the holidays and got lucky that the post dropped down in the list and you didn't see it when you got back on line.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great ending to an exciting adventure! Glad that no damage was done to you or, especially, to your transfer case.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 AM

And now Skip, I have a new found appreciation for Buicks, for I have seen with my own eyes, they do indeed fly
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Jan 5 2011, 08:38 AM
Glad I could brighten your day!
Also glad it remained a surprise. In the original post, I told everyone what you were getting. I knew you weren't online over the holidays and got lucky that the post dropped down in the list and you didn't see it when you got back on line.
It did!!!
And it was a total surprise.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Jan 5 2011, 08:25 AM
I dub thee... Al Bundy
Upstate POTD
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Also, speaking as someone who used to work a couple of miles down the road from Eastview Mall...I was always glad that I lived in downtown Rochester when it came time to go home.

Traffic would flow on the 490 going westbound, all the way up to the Can of Worms. Eastbound was always slow. Throw lots of snow into the mix and you have the perfect recipe for a parking lot.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Last night, it was just a brutal drive...

And Marc, I know exactly what you mean, I used to live in the city, and worked out in Bushnell's Basin, so I was always going the opposite direction of the masses, it was great.

Quick Reply: My adventure last night