New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Jeff - We are published now. Expect to receive your cut of the ad revenue from all page hits on this site

http://hondabeat.com/article_details.php?ID=144
If I knew that you planned to syndicate the photos, I would have asked for more money!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

It was all Ellen's idea. We ought to bill her
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

racing a MG-A good stuff. That picture is epic of you next to the Bugatti!

Have fun and good luck.

Wish i could take my MG-B on the track but i spent 2 years doing a ground up resto and would hate to mess her up out there.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM

I'm much looking forward to my first race weekend this weekend. Car is pretty much ready. I felt the brakes were still spongy, so I had Nancy come over to help me bleed them. Left rear and front right seemed to have some air in the line. Right rear had some dirt. They are much firmer now, although I'm still not sure I don't have some air in them.

I put number rondals on the doors, so the car has a new look. The one on the driver's side has a little crinkle, so the job is not perfect. I have one for the hood and a small number for the rear of the car but I have not put those on yet.

I tested the sound of the car ith the Car Chemistry tailpipe insert and with the SuperTrap tip. I set up the sound meter in a tree about 30 feet away where I could still see the needle. It seemed like the car was at about 92 dB with the insert and the tip at 4200 rpm. This represents a 6 to 8 dB reduction. I'm hoping it will be good enough. With this set-up, I turned the carburetor three (3) flats towards lean since Car Chemistry recommends that the carburetors be run leaner at wide open throttle with their insert.

I was able to get the car on the trailer without the usual hang up on the exhaust system.

I never did try to repair the gas guage since other issues came up. I did noticed,m however, that the gas gauge came on and was registering 1/8 of a tank. But it still registered 1/8 after I filled the tank up.

Have fun on the Great Scandaga (sp?) Lake cruise tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Good luck this weekend!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff dont you also have to be on track today? nevertheless I shall be looking forward to your update. Good luck and dont worry too much about the sound police. I'm pretty sure you are good
Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Criminies! That was a bust!

In response to my concerns over the sound issue, I inserted a Car Chemistry "baffle" into my exhaust pipe, and leaned out the carburetors by "2 flats" or about 15%. Then, because all the cars seemed so quiet, I added a Supertrap difuser on the tip of the exhaust, and for good measure leaned out the carbs an additional flat.

Went out for the first practice run and had absolutely no power above 3,000 rpm. Only did about 5 laps and came in to the pits. Checked spark plugs and they looked good. So I removed the SuperTrap to open up the exhaust for Race 1. Well, I had a little more power at the higher rpms, but not my normal. If I gently feathered on the power, I could make some more speed than the practice run, but again it felt the car was "choking". I had some close racing with a 1935 MG -- I was faster in the corners, he was a little faster on the straight, so I could never pass him. I think I finished dead last except for one car that spum out.

For Race 2, I adjusted the carbs 2 flats towards rich, so still one flat lean compared to last year. Once again, I had trouble making power at the higher rpms. If I stomped on the accelerator, I kind of choked out. If I feathered the accelerator, I could make some speed -- eventiually. Say about 10 mph better on the straight than my practice run. Still not as fast as last year. But there was some close racing -- and multiple changes of position between me and three or four other cars.

Last year, I had water on the passenger side floor that I attributed to wet track and holes in my wheel wells. But I had water today as well on the passenger side. Looked like radiator leakage, but I have no heater and I'll be damned if I could find where it was coming from. Thought it might be a blown head gasket, but so far no water in the oil.

Tomorrow, I have 3 races. First one at 10:00. I may just take the exhaust apart, pull out the Car Chemistry insert in the tail pipe and re-adjust the carburetor to what it was when I started with these mods. See if that cures my problem; and if the sound police bust me, at least I'll know what my problem is.

Alas, no pictures by me. I'll try to find some though. My car looks good with the new rondals.

Have fun on the drive tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I hope tomorrow goes much better with the changes you plan to make. Look forward to seeing pics of the car with roundels in action or standing still

Maybe you need a little help from Buddy Palumbo
Old 05-07-2011, 02:41 AM

Buddy Palumbo's of no use to me right now. He's too busy dreaming about how to get into Julie's underpants. I need a mechanic who can focus on the task at hand, not some hormone crazed New Jersey teenager who pumps gas part time!

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2