New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a complete set of spare brake parts would be good to have handy. I think I would have a set of calipers, rotors, and pads in a box ready to be swapped in if necessary for future race weekends.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
One of the sections of track that I haven't mentioned is the roller coaster. Its a left, tight right, left on a steepish down hill at the end of the back straight. It's a fun sequence.

Looking forward to seeing video of that. I hope the audio-visual equipment is functioning without mishap
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Sounds like a complete set of spare brake parts would be good to have handy. I think I would have a set of calipers, rotors, and pads in a box ready to be swapped in if necessary for future race weekends.
Well, it's a learning experience and a money issue. Initially I had all sorts of electrical problems, so I have all sorts of extra ignition system parts. My brakes have been a real problem. So now, I'll have to install a new set of piston seals, and I'll get an extra set or two. I have a second set of brake pads, but they are just factory stock. All the rest is money I don't want to spend on parts.

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1320420310' post='21128765

One of the sections of track that I haven't mentioned is the roller coaster. Its a left, tight right, left on a steepish down hill at the end of the back straight. It's a fun sequence.

Looking forward to seeing video of that. I hope the audio-visual equipment is functioning without mishap
I haven't used the video yet. Planning to start with it tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Update #3

After it was all said and done, I was pretty happy how today went. It had rained hard over night and was supposed to clear up by the time of my first run at 9:15. It was pretty gloomy, but the track was fairly dry. As noted in my mid day post, I did go out and my brakes seemed to function - although I was not taking any life threatening chances. At some point, I passed and Alfa Romeo, and from there on I made it my business to stay in front of him. My best time was a 3:27.2 ranking me 12 out of 23 drivers. The Alfa had a 3:23.6 earlier so he was "qualified" as #10.

Shortly after my run was finished, it started to rain pretty heavily. Very few cars were going out, and it was pretty clear that any lap times established today would be meaningless. I debated with myself whether I should go out, and in the end, reason prevailed. It was only drizzling by then, so I Rain-Xed my face mask, uncovered the car and went out. I figured I could proceed slowly around the track and and study potential turn in points. This time 12 cars showed up at the false grid, however, and I somehow forgot what my assignment was. The track was wet and I was careful. I didn't really improve my line. Sometimes I got it perfect - other times I was way off. Eventually, the track started to dry up, and I picked up my pace a bit - but my best time was 3:31.4.

The winner of both qualifying sessions was a Triumph Spitfire who had best times of in the 2:49's, which works out to about 69 mph average speed.

There are some interesting pictures of me actually leading some cars at these links (if they work).

Photo Copyright owned by F & S Enterprises. Photos may not be republished.

Tomorrow I have to get down to brass tacks and stop babying the car. I have a qualifying session which will determine grid position in the qualifying race, then a qualifying race. Finish order in the qualifying race (not lap times) will determine grid position for the race on Sunday.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff, you are in the lead in all those pics. Very cool

Can't wait to see the video of the track. Happier still that you went out in the rain.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 AM

Jeff, you are in the lead in all those pics. Very cool
Aashish, those pictures are all of the same corner. They must have more than on photographer at the track, because they have us coming and going.

Now, if you can visualize the best back roads on the Solidarity Drive for Levi - without any trees - you will have an idea of what VIR is like.

Up and down, left and right with enough complex hill corners to keep you awake, on a two lane country farm road with no center line and no lines painted on the edge. Cool!

Now, time to get out of this reverie and get down to business.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

ha! maybe it was the late hour and the beer I'd consumed playing tricks on my eyes

Would love to do VIR someday. Your description of the track is tempting me a lot. Maybe BMW CCA will have some kind of event there next season that I can run in the Si
Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Is the event complete? Hope it went well
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM

I think I put two and two together and decided what my brake problem was. I noticed some brake fluid leakage at the cork gasket on the master cylinder. I'm figuring that the brake fluid heated up and expanded to the point that it locked up my front brakes (and leaked through the gasket. What was odd, however, was that when I opened up the bleader valve and released fluid, the pistons in the calipers did not budge.

Anyway, my brake problem seems solved for the moment.

I had two runs today, but am too tired to give a blow by blow report. The first run was a qualifier. I ran a 3:03.308. That placed me 25th on the grid for the qualifying race.

The qualifying race shows us running seven laps - but three of those were under a double yellow flag, as there was a serious crash with injuries on the first lap. But a double yellow flag seems to mean nothing as they run almost full speed under the double yellow. I'll have to remember for next time not to slow down. On the restart, the cars ahead of me were away as soon as the pace car pulled off.

I had Aashish's Go-Pro running, but after the restart, all of the action was behind me. I was dueling with a Bug-Eye Sprite. Able to out power him on the straights, but he always caught up in the corners - and at my nemisis, the Oak Tree corner, he was always right behind me eager to pass.

Anyway, in the qualifying race I ran a 3:02.426. That leaves me at # 25 on the grid.

I have a practice run tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. and a sprint race at 10:30. Then I'm done.

I saw a S2000 Spa Yellow in the lot on my way in - at least I think it was a Spa. Was there another yellow? So between sessions, I went up there and met the owner (and there is also another one for sale, '05 with 12,500 miles and priced at $25,000). Anyway, the fellow I met is older than me, and he comes to all the races with a gang of other retired guys. They became my little fan club on the hill at turn 4. I waved to them as I went out for the qualifying race and on the cool down lap they were all waiving their baseball caps. So I guess they enjoyed my drive. I'll have to stop by tomorrow.

Lots of bent metal today. In my group, I think a total of 4 cars are gone due to crashes. In other groups, the attrition rate is about the same. I saw two open wheel cars hit the tire wall together at almost full speed. I was sure one of the drivers had to be injured, but he was not. Another fellow (non-driver) is with a group racing Sports 2000 vehicles. He told me that his group damaged two cars and probably sustained $20,000 in damages.

So I've got some video, but without a crew, I have to start it when I leave the paddock. My arms and shoulders are so bound up with the shoulder harness and arm restraints, that I can't reach it to start when we are about to head out. I'll need an editor.

The video of my run on the qualifying race is, at least to me, startling. When I watched it, my body wanted to roll left or right with each curve; and the brake board seemed to fly by as I drove into the hard brake corners.

Oh, and I know it is heresy, but I've decided that VIR is a more interesting and challenging track than Watkins Glen. That opinion may be based on the car I'm driving, but see ...

Photo copyrighted by F & S Enterprises

And here's one for Jeff

Photo copyrighted by F & S Enterprises

Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Sunday, I had a practice / warm up session at 8:00 a.m. I was braking hard and downshifting for the Oak Tree corner on the second lap and my throttle got stuck somewhere near wide open throttle. That's not supposed to happen! So I rode the brakes hard for half a lap to get back into the pits. Turns out an unused choke cam flipped up 180 degrees to prevent the throttle from returning to the idle position. Needless to say, I removed that offending cam!

So at 10:30, we grid up for the big race! I'm starting in pole position #25. There are about 35 cars starting. I don't have a chance of winning, so my goal is to try to shave 3 seconds off my lap time and get it under 3 minutes. Since I was flying on Saturday, I don't think it is really possible!

We have a good start, and I'm passed immediately by about 3 cars from the back of the field that are very fast. We get around the first few corners safely and are speeding up the Uphill Esses and around the South Bend. But Yellow flags are flying and there has been a big crash at the Oak Tree Corner. I see two cars spun out on the grass and a flipped car right in the middle of the track. I have to go off track to get by.

So we go around a second time under a double yellow caution. Then they throw the black flag and we all return to the pits. They hold us there for about ten minutes, then cancel the remainder of the race until 1:30.

At 1:30, many cars are missing from the false grid. Only 19 cars show up - but we start from our original grid positions. Once again two or three cars from the back of the pack pass me at the start and soon the field moves off into the distance. The few cars remaining behind me also fade as I pull away from them. So I'm by myself. Might as well try to improve my lap time.

So I start to fly - Hard, hard brake at turn one, downshift to third, Accelerate through turn two. Lift and hard, tire squealing left at the NASCAR corner. Accelerate to Turn 4. Brake hard, sliding left to 5, then hard right to 6. Squeeze foot to the floor. Right, left, right through the lower Esses. Upshift to fourth. Foot to the floor. Flying left, right, left, right through the upper Esses. Squeeze brake down to 60+ for the South Bend left, then foot to the floor. Brake, Brake, Brake down to 35 for the Oak Tree, downshift and hold on through the Oak Tree Corner- double corner 55' radius. Hold, hold, hold all wheels on pavement as best as you can coming out! Foot through the floor before you're out onto the back straight, crest the hill, foot still through the floor. Corner boards 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 fly by. Brake like your life depends on it at 2. Keep braking down to 60+ as you turn left! You're in the roller coaster. Downshift to third - right. Squeeze accelerator (stay on the damn racetrack!), accelerate Left, Right, now hard, you're coming to the Hog Pen! Accelerate left through 16, Brake and hard right for 17. Accelerate, accelerate, accelerate, squeezing out of 17 as this is part of the Front Straight. Foot through the floor. Wide arching turn to the right they call the front straight. The car is up on its tippy toes. Corner boards 6, 5, 4, 3 fly by. Brake like your life depends on it at 3. Don't turn if your wheels lock up, and if your wheels lock up, you have to release brake pressure. Quick downshift and you are in turn 1 going a little two fast. Get yourself under control and start to accelerate out of turn two, because you are about to do it all over again!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I do this pretty much by myself (although I am lapped by about 6 cars) for about 8 laps. But something is wrong with the car. Then I see the checkered flag and the race is over. As I do my cool down lap, I wave to my friends on the hill, but the car is laboring. My brakes have seized up again! As I make my way into the pits, I'm waived into Victory Lane. I'm a little confused since I think I'm almost dead last. But I'm first in my class. I'm presented with a trophy (a brass Gold Cup) by two blonde girls, and I have to make a speech. Well somehow, I got a little carried away and promised to return on Memorial Day Weekend to defend my trophy. In retrospect, I think that means that I'll have to go on yet another cruise.

What was even more shocking than the trophy was my lap time. My best time was recorded at 2:41.913, an improvement of 22 seconds!

So that's my weekend. Driving home tomorrow. I have some video. If Aashish can edit, he will post on U-Tube - but that may be months away.

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2