New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

I found an entry list for the VIR event next week. As of Monday, there were 34 cars listed for my group, Group 1. So assuming some last minute additions if the weather is nice, there may be 40 cars. Should make for some very treacherous starts for yours truly!

There are three MGAs on the list, but their engine displacement makes me think they are the Twin Cam cars. There are also a number of Triumphs - Spitfires and TR3As, some Austin Healey 100-4s, a couple of Morgans, a Lotus 7 America, quite a few Midgets and Sprites, a couple of Alphas, Morris-Cooper S, an Austin-Cooper S and a Volvo P1800S.

I was surprised to see about 6 drivers from this area attending, some with multiple cars. Glenn tells me that his "other" friend, JR Mitchell (JR Racing) from Newtown, CT is headed down with a trailer full of cars.

I've been getting excited and nervous all at the same time.

I've started to watch some in-car videos to try to learn the track. On one video that I found last night, the driver (Peter Rouse?) followed probably the perfect line on the Oak Tree corner. I would never have figured out that line for myself, but I will give it a try when I am there (assuming my nerve holds out!) On another corner, he had a inside passing line. I just have to look at the video with a map in my hand to determine which corner. I may need the technique that he uses.

I'm concerned that my car won't hold up to the abuse. The track seems very long. I was approaching red-line on the front straight when I last ran at Lime Rock. The straights at VIR look to be two to three times as long.

The car is as ready as it's going to be - but I did not modify my sway bar and I did not fix the rear oil leak. I'm hoping for the best - and especially that I come back in one piece!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Good luck Jeff. Im sure you will do well

Wish I had the time to come. I've always wanted to visit VIR.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best wishes! Keep the shiny side up! A couple of people I have met at the track have been after me to get to VIR, please post up your impressions when you return and debrief yourself. I would like to hear how you found it.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff, here is a video for inspiration. I really loved how well the S800 kept up with the Midget's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixBjghgICY
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Plan to head out to VIR tomorrow morning by 4:00 A.M. (assuming I wake up!) I figure it is at least a 12 hour drive with the trailer. Heackock Gold Cup Classic.

Thursday is a practice day, not part of the official event. Supposedly four groups, 5 sessions each. Then it's two sessions per day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, all listed as qualifying except for the final race. It looks like the sessions will go on for about 30 minutes. I will be very surprised if my car is still running on Sunday. At a minimum, I'm expecting it to be leaking like the Exxon Valdiz!

It looks like about 37 to 40 cars in my group. This will be the second time racing with such a large field.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Plan to head out to VIR tomorrow morning by 4:00 A.M. (assuming I wake up!) I figure it is at least a 12 hour drive with the trailer. Heackock Gold Cup Classic.

Thursday is a practice day, not part of the official event. Supposedly four groups, 5 sessions each. Then it's two sessions per day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, all listed as qualifying except for the final race. It looks like the sessions will go on for about 30 minutes. I will be very surprised if my car is still running on Sunday. At a minimum, I'm expecting it to be leaking like the Exxon Valdiz!

It looks like about 37 to 40 cars in my group. This will be the second time racing with such a large field.
Save the cocktails till the end Cptn. Hazelwood!
Have a safe trip and come back shiny side up, good luck!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

hey! Jeff When ya turn the sturrin' wheel, ya put the throooouuutle down -- And I don't mean any of this part throoouuutle either. I MEAN ON THE FLOOR!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

and if you have any questions at all about the GoPro, do not hesitate to call

Edit: oh! and you got called "crash nasty" on Facebook
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM

I arrived in one piece. Twelve hours straight driving, mostly down Route 81. Took three full tanks of gas to get here. Down here, regular is as low as $3.16 per gallon, cash.

The track is in the middle of nowhere. I didn't get to see too much, but it looks very open with big run off areas. I registered, found my spot in the paddock and pulled the car off of the trailer. It started right up which is a good omen.

I'm here representing the open trailer racers (I think I am the only one!) Most everybody else is here with a racing team and tractor trailer full of cars, parts, awnings and equipment (plus flat screen TV). Lots of motor homes as well.

I'm staying at South Boston, about 20 miles away.

If all goes well (i.e., I pass tech), I should be on track tomorrow morning at 9:00 A.M.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Glad you reached safely Jeff. Good luck for tomorrow. Will be looking forward to your updates. Have fun

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2