New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

What dates do you go to VIR?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

I hope to leave before dawn on Wednesday, November 2. I fugure it is at least a 12 hour drive with the trailer. So I'll be on the road all day Wednesday.

Test, tune and practice day on Thursday. That will probably be the day with the most track time.

On Friday, I think there is one practice session and one qualifying session. Saturday, two qualifying sessions. Sunday, final qualifying session and then the Gold Cup race.

With all the qualifying sessions, I'm assuming I will end up mid to rear pack. But the cars back there should be running about the same, so maybe I will be in a "race within the race" scenario.

I think I'm done by about 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, so will pack up and start home. Probably get home on Monday.

I'm very excited! As usual, I need to concentrate on putting the car back together.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That is a long drive. I was trying to see if I could perhaps make it out to see you race coupled with a visit to family in the DC area. However they wont be in town on those dates. I think I should stay home and hunker down for winter.

That aside, I hope you have a nice and inspiring trip to England. The MG test loop should be fun and get you in the right mindset to tackle VIR

Old 10-16-2011, 07:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

So how was the MG test track loop? Was the rental car up to it?

Posting my mid-ohio video here for reference sake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_LNWYSptNg
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Inserting my Mid-Ohio posts here so as to keep them from getting lost.

Originally Posted by aashish2
phew! tired as hell and aching all over.

Dave Roush (the Chief Instructor and also an AP1 Spa owner) took me out for a spin at the end of day in a Mid-Ohio S2000. I thought I'd turned the camera on for that and am feeling totally depressed that I did not capture that. He was blazing fast, drifting the car through the corners and riding the kerbs. Felt like I was a passenger in a hard lap in a race car. At the end he pulled on to the front straight and did burnouts right in front of the start-finish line. by the time we pulled into pit lane, the wheels were smoking. I guess it helps that Mid-Ohio owns the car and maintains it.

Instructors were awesome and a who's who. Tommy Byrne was my instructor in the skid car. Dave Roush was my lead-follow instructor. Brian Till was another instructor. Surely some pedigree. Today was largely autocross, braking and skidpad session. Dave Roush let me demonstrate the S2000 to the group before he let them all into the cars. I got one extra round driving the S2000 on the autocross section. The final test was in a Acura TSX and I dont know why but I could not come to terms with that car. I think I was definitely faster in the S2. In any case I did not win a prize in the AutoX test, but then I'm Captian Slow after all

I got to drive my S2000 on the lead-follow sessions and that was quite the experience. The Key hole is phenomenal...they had us using the chicane, but I can only imagine how much different it'd be if you avoided the chicane. All day long Indy cars were out there (Andretti autosport trailer in the lot) and the track had so much rubber on it. By the time I was done, the grooves in my tire were filled with tire clag. Dave Roush said that I could drive it around the AutoX section for a few times tomorrow to get rid of that.

Tomorrow will be an all track session. Lead follow exercises all day followed by open lapping in the afternoon. Day is supposed to end at 4:30 and I will leave then to head back home before the rain arrives.

Im gonna go find some dinner now and then sleep

Originally Posted by aashish2
It was pouring out there today. Mid-Ohio is a slippery, slidy beast in the wet. I chose to drive the TSX contrary to everyone's opinion here as it was already paid for. The TSX itself was a handful as this track by virtue of its nature and surface undulations is waay more slippery than Lime Rock or WGI. What Jim Bishop said about squueeeezing the gas or the brakes was drilled into my mind today in the rain.

Passed a few cars including the two M3's. The gentleman (yes he was gray-haired) was not playing nice. I was on his tail through the windy sections of the track and as soon as we got to the front or rear straights he'd step on it, and the TSX could barely keep up until we got to the end of the straight. They called him in twice noticing how he was obstructing me.

Morning sessions were all lead follow lapping and post lunch, we had another brief lapping session and two hours of open lapping. I made full use of it and got my moneys worth.

Today I was in a group with three people from the Tire Rack. These guys are all pros as they get to go out a lot on the Tire Rack track and on Gingerman. They've also done Mid-Ohio before and two of them were the only people that passed me. They were seriously fast and it turns out they actually race part-time. I asked them about the RS-3's and they were unanimous in their declaration as the best tire out there for the buck. They told me that as I liked the RS-2, I'd really like the RS-3 a lot more. They gave me a good insight into how they work and the kind of track and testing experience they acquire working for the tire rack. The older person in the group was a CFO of some company and he then came on board at the Tire Rack. Cool group of people.

Tommy Byrne followed me for a while in the TSX and as I pulled into pit-lane for a break he came up behind me and in his thick Irish accent said "well done lad, you are doing good out there". Coming from a former F1 driver it felt nice and I was glad I was able to get over my nervousness off the track. I broke it down to the basics. Accelerated in a straight line, braked in a straight line and feathered the gas in a few corners (keyhole included) as my confidence grew. My exit speeds were getting higher and I was able to carry more speed down the straight. It was unbelievable how much hydroplaning I was experiencing initially going down the back straight through the kink. I checked the tires at this point and asked to be put back in the car I was driving yesterday. As I had the seat and harness all set up (from auto cross) the past day, I was more comfortable once I changed cars or maybe it was just psychological. There were several points on the track where I was experiencing excessive wheel spin, so that was a revelation as I had to work harder to smoothen my line and be more gentle with the gas pedal. If the TSX was equipped with a limited slip differential, I think it would ease out a lot of the wheelspin that was occuring on some areas of the track. BTW, the Tire Rack guys looked under the TSX and said it had after-market suspension and sway bars from HPD.

Towards the end of the day I got talking to the E92 M3 owner, and turns out he is also new to this, which kind of explained why he may not have gestured for me to pass. He said he was a tad nervous as well. He said that he'd participated in the M Performance Driving School and that this school was a much better experience than the rest.

To sum up, I missed having an instructor in my car, but I had the advantage of experimenting with different lines.Instructors though were available to take you out and show you the line, and I did that midway for a few laps with Jim Bishop just as the red mist was kicking in and I was starting to drive a little angry. Tomorrow is the final day of the program where they do a track walk during the first hour and have open lapping all day. I wont be attending that and will be heading home.

Gotta get dinner now and sleep. Im staying one more night because of the weather. Plan to head out early tomorrow AM.

oh and I did around 50 miles on the S2000 yesterday on track, so I think I'm off to an auspicious start in it

Must I take I-90 or the Souther Tier back? What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Aashish,
Great work!
Very happy to read that you went to the Mid Ohio School. I was afraid that you had decided not to go.

Also very happy for you for finally cutting the instructor-student umbilical cord. I felt that you suffered from an unwarranted lack of confidence to go out on your own. Nothing wrong with having an instructor right there next to you, but eventually you need to get your own seat time to progress. You'll figure out for yourself what you do wrong - You may not be able to fix the problem in the next run or even in the same event, but when you analyze your runs, you will figure out how to improve.

Now we just have to teach you how to pass without a point by! Would they have done that the day that you missed?
Thank you Jeff. I've always been curious about the professional driving schools and how much benefit they hold over a school organized by a club like the BMW CCA. Needless to say at the end of the day I think the benefits are even for both types. What one gives you in terms of track access and access to instructors, the other makes up for by providing an in-car instructor so you spend less time with trial and error.

I've always looked at schools like the BMW M school in South Carolina and Skip Barber, but was always put off by the cost. The expense involved in a driving school could last me several seasons of club racing at the rate I do them (about one per season). The Mid-Ohio School is vastly cheaper than anything else out there and also appeared to have high-quality instructors. I signed up not being very sure if any of the big names on their website would actually be present. When I got there I was being fitted for a helmet by Tommy Byrne. That was quite humbling.

On day one we had lead follows and this was repeated on day two as we divided the track into sectors and ensured we attacked each one of them. Must add here that they did not have us turning back after a sector was completed, but actually had us go around the whole track that helped with familiarity. All the more so, because it was poring on day two and the rain-line was vastly different and needed to be learned.

When it came time for open lapping, I had my hand up asking for a ride with an instructor. Brett Roubinek (who raced in NASCAR i think) suggested that I go out for a few laps and then come in for the ride-along. I was worried about the carousel as the line I was taking had me heading towards pit entrance and not on to the front straight. Brian Till (the Speed TV commentator) had taken me out in his car on the last lead-follow (one student rides along while others follow behind and take their turn riding with the instructor after two laps) and told me that I must aim the car between two grand stands that overlook the carousel and brake in a straight line all the way to the edge of the track (past the slippery asphalt) and at the point my tires gripped, turn the wheel and then keep the car in the middle of the asphalt as I turned onto the front straight. While all this was good I still wasn't sure I could do it. The slippery asphalt before the end of the track was causing me all kinds of problems.

In any case, I strapped in the car and was let out into clean air, and as I did two laps my confidence started to build. Then I came upon the E92 M3 that was fast on the straights, and miserably slow on the tighter sections of the course. Based on line alone, I could have passed him in the slower sections, but passing was restricted to the front and back straights, so I had to slow down. Without the M3 I seemed to be maintaining around 55-60 MPH through the slower sections, but when restricted by him I had to slow down to 30-40 MPH. The M3 held me up twice, and pitted both times to let me by. Same with the other M3 (E46) that was present. The track started drying up and traction seemed to be increasing, but the brakes were spongy and I was starting to make mistakes. I slowed down at this point and only started driving for pleasure and focusing on the line. I'd speed up in a sector but would take it easy on the straights.

Here's the track layout below. Between turns 9 & 10 there is an uphill, and the car does get light in the front and the Acura's were experiencing major wheel spin because it was wet and also because of the leaves. At Turn 4 I late braked and nearly went off the course. I looked ahead at what lay in front of me, thought this cant be happening, looked right in the direction I wanted to go and gently turned the wheel. I found traction and survived.

Sector 3 is my favorite and is the real teacher at Mid-Ohio. It is a sequence of corners that requires one to compromise and look ahead and was also the only sector that took the longest for me to learn and absorb.

But I forget, you asked about passing. I did not pass anyone, unless you counted the M3's that pitted and one or two TSX's, but towards the end, I was passed by the Tire Rack guys who were very good. I think I heard them both say that they had passed everyone that attended. Passing was upto the car that wanted to pass. They only asked the car being passed to be watchful and yield so as to avoid damage. Both time I was passed (by the Tire Rack two) was exiting the keyhole, and I let them by signalling with my turn indicator.

I would love to go there again and it would be great if a bunch of us got together to do this.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Great report and video Aashish!

I'm wondering if they put you on a skid pad where you would learn how to come out of a skid; and if not, how that might relate to the autocross exercise. At Skip Barber, I had a lot of fun on the skid pad throwing the car around - but it was clearly not an autocross event since the object of the experience was to teach you how to come out of a skid once you got into one without spinning the car.

It doesen't sound like the Mid Ohio school had classroom sessions. Right or wrong?

From the video, it didn't look like you hit the curbing very much. I'm wondering what they told you about that. One of the schools that had a nice write up on Watkins Glen (BMW??) was advising students to keep about 2 feet away from the curbing. But when I got to the SCDA event, Ian Pruit and the other instructors were telling us to use the full track, including the curbing. That's what I learned at the VSCCA school as well, but I don't remember them saying too much about that at Skip Barber. Early on, I was mostly trying to put my wheels on the curbing at turn in, apex and track out. Since I learned (sort of) to pass in the corners, I do that less for both offensive and defensive reasons. But I still like to get right up there on the curbing. Sometimes at track out, I don't have much choice!

Lately, I've found myself turning out before turning in on some corners. Usually there is a line at the edge of the pavement with maybe six inches of pavement outside of the line. On some corners, the pavement widens out to 12 to 18 inches. As I approach the corner, I try to put my tires right on the line as I'm approaching (I'm sure I'm a few inches inside). But when the outside edge of pavement widens, I turn out and then in. The turn out probably lasts 2/10th of a second, but it seems to result in a slightly later turn in so I don't get an early apex. Suffice it to say that most of the time I'm trying to hug the furtherst outside or the furtherest inside of the track when I'm cornering.

I think the MG is pretty much ready for the trip to VIR. I've put the front suspension back together,but in hindsight, I think I should have gone further and magnufluxed the pivot pins and the king pins. That one pivot pin on the driver's side was so loose as to have started a stress fracture. And when I had everything back together, the driver's side king pin had a bit of grinding when I worked the wheel back and forth - so maybe it was a rust pitted king pin to begin with. I wanted to modify the front sway bar to shorten the links as they interfere with the tie rods on the steering. But I decided to defer that project since about four inches have to be cut out of the links and then then they need to be re-welded. I was afraid I wouldn't get that done correctly befrore VIR. I drained the differential (it needed it!) and drilled some holes in the plugs so that I could wire them up as per all of the vintage rules. I got my parking lights working and tonight I had a positive test of the headlights, although I am missing the low beam-high beam switch. I don't need the lights for racing, but did want the parking lighs for night trailering in case the trailer lights konk out.

Glenn and I did go to Abingdon, and had a short, wonderful (and enthusiuastic) tour of the Kimber House, home of the MG Car Club. Unfortunately, we did not have time to drive the MG road test course. We had a little side trip that limited the amount of time we could spend in Abingdon.

One of Glenn's friends had supposedly purchased an Invicta Sports Car (replica about 1930). It was sold as a kit, but the Invicta Car Company would put it together for some additional money. Glenn's friend paid about $200,000 for this car and it was supposed to be delivered in 2005. So we trecked out to Invicta headquarters to investigate the status of the car. There was no car, only a frame! It didn't look like there was even a kit. Although there were some "bits" in the shop, I didn't see a body, transmission, rear end, wiring harness or wheels. The principal of the business pointed out a motor, but he did not say it was for the car Glenn's friend had bought. I took some pictures and I'm sure Glenn has told his friend the tale of woe by now!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Great report and video Aashish!

I'm wondering if they put you on a skid pad where you would learn how to come out of a skid; and if not, how that might relate to the autocross exercise. At Skip Barber, I had a lot of fun on the skid pad throwing the car around - but it was clearly not an autocross event since the object of the experience was to teach you how to come out of a skid once you got into one without spinning the car.

It doesen't sound like the Mid Ohio school had classroom sessions. Right or wrong?

From the video, it didn't look like you hit the curbing very much. I'm wondering what they told you about that.

Glenn and I did go to Abingdon, and had a short, wonderful (and enthusiuastic) tour of the Kimber House, home of the MG Car Club. Unfortunately, we did not have time to drive the MG road test course. We had a little side trip that limited the amount of time we could spend in Abingdon.

Jeff, we did have a skid control session. A Civic was used for this exercise and Tommy Byrne was the instructor for this exercise. Needless to say once everyone was done he jokingly said we'd all made him dizzy. Videos of skid car at link below
http://www.midohio.com/School/Course...riving-Program

The Skid control exercises, helped me more out on track, where I was saved by looking in the direction I wanted to go and reacting accordingly. On the AutoX course, the S2000 was a blast to drive and very easy. The TSX however displayed a lot of understeer, and as that is not something Im used to in the Si, I know there are sections where I could have gone a little faster. Other than feathering the gas when understeer was experienced, there was nothing more that I did.

Classroom session were part of the program. Day one we had classroom sessions lasting about an hour where the basics of threshold braking, friction circle et al were discussed and from then on learning took place in the off-track paddock exercises.

Day Two was focused on driving the track. The instructors had a more serious demeanor (considering it was pouring) and talked to us about the rain line, and tips for driving in the rain. We were also instructed on rules to pass and how to outbrake someone (an exercise reserved for the third day that I did not attend).

Yours truly is a "low-life sleazeball early apexer" in the words of Brian Till which explains why I was not using the kerbs.
The sessions on day one were speed-limited in the sense that there was an instructor setting the pace ahead of the group of cars, and driving the S2000 I never quite reached the speed where I had to track out all the way to the edge. I also found that I did not have to brake going into the keyhole or going through parts of sector 3 on day one. Also I was learning the track having not had the chance to study it as extensively as I studied WGI and LRP before driving on them.

Glad Glenn and you got to do a tour of the MG Car Club. Im sure the Juan Manuel Fangio museum beckons to you now
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM

"Early apexing is it's own reward".

I don't know if that has anything to do with racing!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ just finished reading Tommy Byrne's book and he talks about a situation where he used early apexing for a car that had a lot of understeer. Won the race too.

Must make a note to give you this book. I think you'll like it

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2