New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jeff
Glad to hear you are sticking with it for now. I only have a couple of days at lime rock but it sounds like you are learning some of the "secrets", waiting to turn in for the left hander! putting a little weight on the front for the uphill etc. A roll bar in the s will open up a lot of tracks/groups to you. I just returned from 3 days at Mt Tremblant with Boston BMW. I was at Watkins Glen the week after you with NEQ (Audi) and get lots of NHMS with several groups. Greg who was with the two of you at WGI was my paddock mate in Canada, we had met previously at NHMS. Hopefully we will cross paths next season and good luck with the racing. VIR looks like a fantastic track. I believe Greg is going there for HDPE perhaps he may have some tips for you?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks PG,

I was looking over several of the cars with roll bars at the Knapp Sporting Roadster Tour, and I may install one this winter.

But I'm also hoping to have some more options for the MGA next year. Aashish & I went to Watkins Glen Saturday morning to watch the Group 1, Group 3 and Group 2 races. I've decided that my car is mid pack Group 1 material. We hung out in the Boot where we could see how the cars were running through the Lefthander and through the Toe. Other MGAs seemed to have enough power to come up the hill, so I'm assuming I can do the same. And everybody's line seemed to be about the same line that I was running with the S. I spoke to several of the drivers and now have the line on what is required to enter.

I also went back on Sunday to watch an enduro for Groups 1 through 8. I wanted to see how the enduro was run with the required pit stop. Some cars changed drivers and fueled up during the pit stop. Others just sat in their car for the required 5 minutes. Aashish, the young guy with the green midget #043 (whose uncles we met) did not finish the enduro. He came in for his pit stop, and after a few minutes they pushed his car back to the paddock. So I wonder if they will give him his license.

I'm still hoping to go to VIR in November. I sent in an application last week, but they e-mailed back wanting a "Race Car Information Sheet" and photos of the car. I looked at the SVRA regulations for my car and I think it should be acceptable.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Jeff, is it mandatory that you need to stay in the pits for a full 5 minutes? You could just get a splash of gas and head out cant you or do they have mandatory items that must be completed during the pitstop window.

I say we call you in early and have you go the distance. If you will be driving in this race, I'm pretty sure you will have a full pit crew to work on your car.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM

No, it looked like you had to stay in for the five minutes.

I think that MG Midget and an Austin Healey Sprite (#151 white with an arrow) were the only Group 1 running the enduro. Not that many Group 3 cars running either.

The green MG midget started (and stayed) in last place. The lead car lapped him in his second lap!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Would be cool to have you bring the MG to the festival next year Jeff!

Count me in for pit crew if you do.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Five Weeks until VIR! I'm getting pretty excited. (Could care less about the upcoming trip to England!)

I've been rehabilitating my front suspension. I also want to modify my sway bar, but that requires cutting and welding of the sway bar links to shorten them about 4 inches. I may defer that project until after the event to eliminate the possibility of any "incompetency" snafus.

I've been doing other small projects and checking everything that I can think of. Once the suspension is back together, I plan to run the car on the jack stands to see if I can identify my oil leak(s). I think it's the rear seal on the engine. Not planning to repair it - will just keep fingers crossed that it holds out.

Been checking out the track. 3.2 miles with 17 turns! Hope I don't get as lost as I did at Watkins Glen!

I was getting close to red line on the straight at Lime Rock with my 4.1 differential. I think I need to start seriously looking for a 3.9 rear end for the longer tracks.

I think I'll be running in in Group 1. Looks like the races are about 25 minutes

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9964747/VIR2...ePRO5632F2.pdf
Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

England!!

I thought you were going to see the Juan Manuel Fangio museum in Buenos Aires. Change in plans?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Buenos Aries, Uruguay and the Fangio Museum is for winter. England is for fall.

Since I am responsible for driving on these little jaunts, the itinerary will take us to Abington. Nancy planned this trip over C.A.R.T, and VSCCA track days. I'm planning a little surprise!

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Ab...nthusiasts.htm
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ splendid plan Jeff. You seem to have planned a wonderful surprise. Now I wonder how much fun that MG test loop will be in a rental car, but on the plus side, 9 out of 10 times you will likely get a car with a manual transmission.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

I mentioned the side trip to Abington. Nancy has rebelled. Doesn't want to "waste" a whole day of "our" vacation at Abington. My "March to the Sea" is under way and I will soon quash this "discontent".

Received confirmation that I am indeed entered in the Heacock Gold Cup Classic Vintage Races at VIR. Group 1.

If I don't kill myself, maybe I can win myself a trophy

(Actually, I just hope the car can hold together so that I can complete four days of racing!)

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2