New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2

Old 08-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1313678415' post='20890089
What about the Sept 22nd CART event at Lime Rock? Are you not doing that?
No, Nancy scheduled her eye surgery for that day yesterday knowing full well that C.A.R.T. was on the schedule. I don't know why it was so important to have the surgery on that date, and not the week before or the week after. That's why I'm depressed and thinking I might as well sell the car. No sense owning it if I can't use it.
You don't know me at all nor I you or your situation but having sold several things I wish i had not I would hold on for next year/less busy times. You look to have had some great fun with both cars. If they are yours and the space is not an issue keep them! I am having a fortunate season where I will make about 9-10 track days this year and I enjoy every one so much. I am envious of two different vehicles to play with. I have a planning director who also schedules conflicts but she deserves some fun too. If you continue to not have time to use them re-assess next season or the following but jumping now is wrong for at least a couple of reasons, getting late for open top sales, seems that you are perhaps a little to close to it right now? Good luck either way
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for the words of support, PG.

No, I'm not going to sell it just yet. Was too hard to get permission to buy it in the first place and otherwise, too much inertia on my part. But because of my age, I really can expect only a few years for racing and HPDE events before my vision and reflexes really go. So it's a disappointment to have so many events blown off by the wife this year.

I still have that VIR Heackock Gold Cup race in November way down in southern Virginia to possibly look forward to. Having trouble getting some of my medical information for the application, but I'll send in an application this week I hope. They may not accept my car, however, as their race classes are based on 1972 SCCA classifications, and my car was no longer classified in 1972 as far as I can determine.

I also looked at Lime Rock's website. They have a test and tune 1/2 day next Tuesday (but I have a hearing in Hartford so a conflict with work) and on Sept 27. Maybe I can get the Sept 27th in. That's maybe far enough out that I can reschedule any work conflicts. In any event, I'll focus in on the test and tune days a little earlier next year.

This is all pushing me in the direction of putting a roll bar into the S this winter. That might give me some more options next year as well!

But thanks anyway.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Jeff, since you now have a passenger seat in the MG A, do you think I can ride-along next time you are at Lime Rock (either this season or the next). I will bring my own helmet.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Jeff, since you now have a passenger seat in the MG A, do you think I can ride-along next time you are at Lime Rock (either this season or the next). I will bring my own helmet.

Aashish,

I don't think the VSCCA will let you ride except after the event when they do track worker rides. But sure. I need to get some belts.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 AM

YES!!!!

Going to "test and tune Tuesday" at Lime Rock next week. At least I will get a half day on track. Staff says that there will be some very fast cars, but also enough vintage cars (getting ready for Labor Day weekend) so that I should be OK. Apparently they only run two groups - open wheel and closed wheel. Should be interesting running with cars that do 58 second laps to my 1:22.

Now I just have to get the car put back together. Why is this always the case with me? I'm in the middle of replacing the main brake lines and relocating the coil to the main bulkhead. Well, I have the generator and can work on it through the hurricane on Sunday.

I think I can get it all together and I may take this opportunity to try some different carburator setups on the track.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
YES!!!!

Going to "test and tune Tuesday" at Lime Rock next week. At least I will get a half day on track. Staff says that there will be some very fast cars, but also enough vintage cars (getting ready for Labor Day weekend) so that I should be OK. Apparently they only run two groups - open wheel and closed wheel. Should be interesting running with cars that do 58 second laps to my 1:22.

Now I just have to get the car put back together. Why is this always the case with me? I'm in the middle of replacing the main brake lines and relocating the coil to the main bulkhead. Well, I have the generator and can work on it through the hurricane on Sunday.

I think I can get it all together and I may take this opportunity to try some different carburator setups on the track.

You are welcome to have the GoPro if you want. I'm willing to meet you half-way and give it to you tomorrow. Let me know.

Glad that you got some track time Jeff. Have fun
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 AM

I'll pass on the Go-Pro for this one Aashish. This is supposed to be a test and tune day, not a track day. I think I have to pretend that I'm there to test the car, not having a track day!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Test and Tune Tuesday at Lime Rock was a blast! I don't know what my times were, but I had to be going the fastest ever!

My primary goal was to increase the speed on the corner into the Uphill because I felt that was where I lost a lot of time. Well, I left the brakes off and increased the speed through that corner anywhere from 12 to 20 mph. But that speed carried to the West Bend, through which I had some very interesting (read "uncontrolled") passes. Eventually I concluded that I needed to hit the brakes for that corner, at least to settle the car. The Downhill - first time ever no brakes. Consistently making that corner above 70 mph, once 80 mph. So I was carrying more speed into the straight and was consistently over 90 mph. Now Big Bend is my nemisis at about 52 mph before I can get the car under control. On the left hander, I wasn't using brakes and was turning much later than usual, so I think even that was faster than my usual.

The day started with some sort of misfire in the garage as I loaded up the car. That might have been the result of a loose wire, as I checked the wires before I went out on run 1 and tightened up one that was loose. Still, for the first few laps, I had a misfire - different I think. But after a few laps that seemed to resolve itself and I was running fine.

I ran hard. After the 4th run, I noticed that my steering wheel was no longer centered. It was about 1-2" to the right. I also noticed a definite wobble/vibration in the steering wheel. I decided to put my spare tire on the front, thinking one of the tires was out of balance. That actually worked. In doing so, however, I noticed some movement in my lower A arm and metal on metal wear spots on my steering rack and anti-roll bar. I have to do some research on those issues and try to find a correction.

I ran, maybe, one run too many. I noticed a lot of oil under the car after the last run.

I didn't know what to expect on this test and tune day. I actually had to talk my way into Lime Rock letting me run. I was apprehensive about the fact that virtually all cars would be faster than me. They all were. But the groups were split between small bore and big bore, plus open wheel and modifieds. After a few runs, the open wheel cars that were running one minute laps or less were moved to my group. I probably was running 1:18 to 1:22. There were a lot of Miata Spec Racers, several Porches, a Triumph Spitfire, another MGA (Wilbur had a major oil leak and went home), an OSCA, probably 1950's vintage, a Lotus 7 and many specially built race cars that I couldn't identify (one car I couldn't even see except for the top of the driver's helmet!).

It was like being in pole position with the slowest car in the race! Everyone was passing me - especially in the corners. It was actually very good experience. But I'm exhausted. My shoulders hurt from fighting the steering wheel.

I probably did about 90 miles, 5 twenty minute runs.

In other news, I went to the doctor and he "certified" me as physically and mentally able to race. He filled out some medical form so I can apply for a Vintage Motor Council license.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That is awesome Jeff. Glad you had a great day out on track. Wish I'd been able to come so I could have timed your runs. The season does appear to be coming to a good conclusion after all

During my running there, I realized that a proper turn in to the left hander and proper entry on to no name straight were vital to speed at the entry to big bend. Im really happy for you that you had a great time. Congratulations on the physicians assessment and good luck with the Vintage Motor Council license. If you want me to, I can put in a word for you with good friend Big Ed Baumstein
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM

I can put in a word for you with good friend Big Ed Baumstein

I've actually met a few Big Ed Baumstein type's trying to break into racing. No thanks!

Quick Reply: MG On Track! BlueOsprey, Season 2