New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Jeff (blueosprey90) goes racing in his MG A

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^ It was my pleasure Jeff. Thank you again for and lunch. That restaurant we went to was very good.

I was sure there'd be an inquiry of sorts seeing how that pristine Chrome Porsche was damaged and that too under a yellow flag situation.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

So after coming home and thinking about the car’s handling and my driving, I think that my tire pressure was way too high.

Because of my experience at Pocono, I ran the first session in the rain with tire pressure of 42 psi. Because my tires locked on braking and because of some small rear end kick outs on cornering, I lowered pressures to 38psi for my second run. This is where I spun out.

I think that when I hit the hill under acceleration, my front end loaded up and had better grip than the rear. The fact that I was accelerating added to the loss of rear end grip. And if I lifted the throttle after the spin started, that would have added to the load on the front tires and lessened the load on the rear even more, contributing to my spin. Surprised me since I’ve skidded through black ice with much more control.

So for Saturday morning run 1, I lowered my pressure to 36 psi. I still locked up my brakes coming into a corner. Finally for run 2, I lowered my pressure to 34 psi, and that turned out to be my best run even though I wasn’t pushing hard.

I think that pressure might still have been a little too high. In hindsight, I think that the my brakes were locking because the tire pressure was too high, not because I had the new race pads. So it seems that I have a delicate balance between too low pressure where the tires get squirmy and lose their grip versus too high a pressure where the tires lose their grip because of less tire contact surface.

So now I know that unless it’s blazing out, 30 psi is too low and 36 psi is too high. Probably the optimum pressure is 33 or 34 psi. Once I find that optimum, then I have to try to fine tune front to rear.

I sent Eddie some hard cash for these photos so I assume I can share.

I was running in the pre-war class. Here I'm chasing a 1935 MG P-Type Lester.

Being passed by a 1927 Bugatti T-35C

So my first race season has come to an end. I accomplished a lot, but mostly off the track and under the hood.

Who would have guessed. If it wasn't for Ellen, I would never have gotten active on this site. If it wasn't for Aashish and Doug, I would have never gotten interested in tracking the S. If it wasn't for that damned rollbar requirement, I would never have started looking for an alternative. If it wasn't for AllWorldLax (Chris), I would never have gone to Racecars.com. If it wasn't for Glenn, I would never have joined the VSCCA or had the courage to buy the car. If it wasn't for Aashish, none of us would have any idea that my times are really, really slow. It's been a real blast. Thank's for all of the support.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=739936&st=0
Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ Good summary Jeff. You can only improve as you go into next season

Doesn't Disgruntled have an opinion he'd want to share about your first driving season, considering he is the other (unseen but only heard) half of your loyal posse
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM

No, Disgruntled has been burried in articles from the News Editor and others at the Home Page reading and watching videos about the 10th year anniversary. Says something about wanting to go to Puerto Rico. Maybe he'll surface, maybe not.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Oct 16 2010, 03:50 PM
Cyrus,

What a surprise to come on-line and find your pictures! I immediately got Nancy up here for a look see. The picture of the S with the rainbow is really cool - almost doesn't look real. Maybe Zzziippyyy could edit the midtones a tad to brighten the car, but as far as I'm concerned that's a picture for the S2000 calendar.

And the pictures of me are much appreciated. Those are the best of me "racing" so far. Nancy's first comment on those was "I wonder if you can send those to my father." So if you don't mind, I'll copy them and sent them to her aged relative.

Not being a car guy, the S and the race car are me having my 2nd childhood. Considering the affinity for Corvettes that runs in your blood, I think its really cool that you have the S. Always a pleasant surprise to see you.

The best part of the weekend was that Aashish* showed up and that I was able to introduce you. He is the Man!

* my loyal posse!
Thanks, Jeff - I'm glad you liked the pics! Please feel free to use/send them however you'd like to.

Unfortunately, the pic of the S w/the rainbow has already been brightened up quite a bit (I took it in a hurry, so I accidentally underexposed the shot badly), so any further brightening will probably make it look very grainy... ...next time I see a rainbow arching over the car, I'll be more careful

It was great seeing you and Aashish - I'm sure we'll meet up again at the next VSCCA event in the spring (and rumor has it that they're hosting the Nutmeg Rally in January: so get the snow-tires ready).

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ Cyrus - you should keep stopping by here, and must come along on a drive as and when we have one planned. It'd be great to have you along
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

My friend Glenn has a devious mind!

Three day drivers school at Skip Barber costs $3,999. (Aargh )! Twenty percent discounts are available (like right now) from time to time dropping cost to $3,199. (Aargh )!

Glenn has given me an idea on how I might buy it for less. Will cost me $100 to find out. Will keep you posted.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Nov 15 2010, 05:09 PM
My friend Glenn has a devious mind!

Three day drivers school at Skip Barber costs $3,999. (Aargh )! Twenty percent discounts are available (like right now) from time to time dropping cost to $3,199. (Aargh )!

Glenn has given me an idea on how I might buy it for less. Will cost me $100 to find out. Will keep you posted.
sounds like a plan Jeff Do keep us posted. Provided the price is right I'd someday like to do a Skip Barber school.

oh! and I also think this needs to be your new avatar

^ I'm sure Cyrus Jr. would not mind you using that picture.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Well, my friend, you'll have to resize that picture for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Nov 15 2010, 05:32 PM
Well, my friend, you'll have to resize that picture for me.
Here you go

Quick Reply: Jeff (blueosprey90) goes racing in his MG A