New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Jeff (blueosprey90) goes racing in his MG A

Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Spin after curve on short uphill straight. Car lightens up at crest of hill, so one has to be running straight, but I think I started to lose control before the crest gunning to make a pass. Stopped just at or just after top of crest. I am really lucky the momentum kept the car going up track and not into the wall.

The guy in front came up afterwords and asked if I spun because of something he did. He said it looked rather dramatic in his rear view mirror. I assured him he had nothing to do with it.

By skid marks from last time, some cars seem to lose control after the crest of the hill beyond were I had my problem.

I'll look today. Wish I could figure out what track worker was there as I came to a stop right in front of the station.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Jeff I have plans of coming. Got some errands to run and I'll be there around 11 am.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff, ever hear the sayin spin to win
Old 10-16-2010, 12:57 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Just got back from LRP. Jeff did good
Old 10-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from LRP. Jeff did good
here are some shots of Jeff I managed to take while wandering around LRP today

..and a shot of the s2k, taken while the weather was changing from rainy to sunny (which it did throughout the day)

Old 10-16-2010, 02:10 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ hey! Cyrus

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Cyrus,

What a surprise to come on-line and find your pictures! I immediately got Nancy up here for a look see. The picture of the S with the rainbow is really cool - almost doesn't look real. Maybe Zzziippyyy could edit the midtones a tad to brighten the car, but as far as I'm concerned that's a picture for the S2000 calendar.

And the pictures of me are much appreciated. Those are the best of me "racing" so far. Nancy's first comment on those was "I wonder if you can send those to my father." So if you don't mind, I'll copy them and sent them to her aged relative.

Not being a car guy, the S and the race car are me having my 2nd childhood. Considering the affinity for Corvettes that runs in your blood, I think its really cool that you have the S. Always a pleasant surprise to see you.

The best part of the weekend was that Aashish* showed up and that I was able to introduce you. He is the Man!

* my loyal posse!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures! Glad you had a fan section today Jeff Once again I am searching for the <jealous> smiley
Old 10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff's laptimes in the all-comer race as follows:
Lap 1 - 1:32.9
Lap 2 - 1:31.9
Lap 3 - 1:28.2
Lap 4 - 1:39.6
Lap 5 - 1:38.2
^ Above race had all cars across all classes, needles to say there was a lot of traffic and I egged him on to do the race. This race was stopped after lap 5 because of an accident behind Jeff. The track was then closed as there was too much debris and oil on track.

In an earlier session Jeff went up all the way to 1:26.9 his fastest timed lap for the day
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Aashish, Thank you so much for coming! I didn't expect you (not having seen your post).

Despite all the sliding and spinning around, I did enjoy the run that started just as you arrived. I was working on my technique, rather than trying to run all out, and I think I learned a few things. I found what I think is a better line for Big Bend, taking it wide and treating it as a single apex rather than double apex curve. I was able to do turn 8 without a downshift and therefore with less or no brakes. And I was able to do turns 9 and 10 without brakes, at least to about 60mph, before sometimes losing my nerve. I was uncomfortable with my brakes. On the one hand they feel soft and inadequate. On the other, they lock up the front wheels pretty easily. My most comfortable tire pressure seemed to be 34, but I think I might try 35 next time.

I have to admit that I'm shaken by that accident in the all comers race, especially since I don't think it should have occurred. That Porshe got taken out pretty instantaneously, and it was lucky for me that she was tucking in behind me, because she spun so fast and hard that she would have taken me out if she hadn't tucked back.

When I went under the tower to ask about us going out in the S at the end of the day, the event chairman (the guy we spoke to) indicated there was a major inquiry under way. I don't think it is conducted by the VSCCA, either, maybe by guys from the track. Somebody is going to get put on probation or his license yanked, I think.

After this, I think I'm going to stick to races with my own class of slower cars and drivers. That's risky enough.

Quick Reply: Jeff (blueosprey90) goes racing in his MG A