New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

intake manifold

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default intake manifold

As you may or may not know, I cracked my intake manifold pretty badly right where the bleeder port sits on the left side. I am ultimately trying to install a Hondata gasket in there and in the process I cracked the metal while I was breaking loose the bolts securing it to the engine.

Well, 2 weeks later and all the parts and fittings from Honda arrived, so now its time for the install.

But I have a quick question; Could I use some heat wrap around the manifold channels and not have to worry if it will crack in the future like what happens on headers for that matter?

I think heat management is the name of the game this year and I've been busy making sure I don't forget anything.

Thanks guys and gals, I appreciate the help.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice, do not wrap anything especially if heat can build up in that area. Wrapped headers are common, but the life span is shortened due to cracking.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:14 PM

You'll never crack an intake manifold from heat, your engine would pop before that happened. As far as wrapping it though, it's probably not going to make a lot of difference. Certainly won't hurt, but likely won't help.

As for the crack, I would just JB weld it. Unless you're going to be pushing positive pressure into it, you don't need to worry.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Ahh, and $280 later and I have a new manifold.

Yeah, I thought about the JB Weld stuff a bit but just decided to go with an entirely new piece as the crack turned into a break instead.

As far as the wrapping goes, I'll just steer clear of it in that area, it'll probably get in the way when I go to install it tonight. (damn, why couldn't there be warmer weather in NY state?)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll post pics when everything is complete.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM

What happened to your old intake? I might look into doing some sort of project for it if it is destined for the trash.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 PM

I can hold it for you.
Shoot, I'd be glad to just give it to you if you like.
I plan on making a meet out west this season so that'll probably be when we could make the exchange.

Got some great deals on the OEM header, springs, and exhaust perhaps too.

Let me know what you think Brent. Take care.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Sounds good. I'd really like to take a look at it and see what I could do. Without a head, I won't know if I can port it much, but I could certainly polish it a bit and maybe improve the flow. Might also look into polishing the outside if I get bored...

Hopefully I'll have my Rx7 done soon. If so, I'll definitely come out for some meets.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:57 AM

Photos to check out, here you go!

You can see that the break isn't in a very good spot but its reserved for you and I thought I would post some photos to show you Brent.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Cool! Thanks.

Now that I look at it, I don't think I'll be polishing the outside (so many angles, never looked at the manifold from a polishing perspective before), but I bet I could sneak a few HP from the runners with a quick port n polish. Too bad I won't be able to get into the plenum without some major work, but I have a sneaking suspicion, due to the lack of gains ITBs make, that Honda really did things right in the plenum and it's probably something I don't want to mess with.

Anyway.....

I definitely look forward to meeting up this summer, intake manifold or no. Should be a lot of fun and I'd love to put a name to a face.

Do you do your own oil changes/diff fluid? I still have some new maintenance parts that need a good home. 1 new bottle of LE607 and 2-3 OEM oil filters, if I remember right.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Yep, I try to do all of the oil changes in my tiny garage and some other work, obviously including this recent one.

I could always use a few oil filters.