New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

I need help - my horoscope said to ask!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help - my horoscope said to ask!

Well, like the title says, my horoscope told me to ask for help, even though that does not come easily to me. As most of you know, finances have not been great for quite some time and business has continued to be slow.

It's to the point now where if things don't pick up, I am going to have to get some type of receptionist/admin job where I will probably go ballistic in 2 weeks and murder someone

I had in interview this morning. I tried to be positive and upbeat but inside I was dying. I am not entirely opposed to getting a "real job' - although it will mean the end of alot of things that are important to me, like going to the gym, volunteering at the shelter, wearing comfortable clothes and shoes, and being able to go to the doctor when I need to.

Long story, short - I would VERY much like to continue working for myself if at all possible.

Ideally I would like to find a couple more graphic designers who need help with the programming side of web sites. My two best clients now are graphic designers and provide some regular work, BUT not enough hours. I need just 13 billable hours per week! Sounds like so little and yet apparently so far out of reach.

I'm open to any suggestions - such as how to find new customers/paying work (fast) or perhaps a partnership with someone who has a great idea for a site that might make money down the road if implemented - or anything else my brain has not even considered.

Any brainstorming appreciated. I've spent all day on this after my interview and just not coming up with much that is helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Have you posted in Vintage? May be a good idea to post there as well.

I don't know of any graphic designers as such, but have you talked to any AD agencies that may have freelance work to hand out. Brian from 8th Civic works for an agency called Potratz partners. That could be one avenue.

Have you posted on Craigslist? Companies usually hand out piece meal work out there. When my company (as in who I work for) started we used Craigslist to pursue several leads and found some projects.

Have you considered a part-time position in an office? Or even full-time for that matter. I would love to only spend time on the things I enjoy. But I have to find a trade-off and prioritize. If you have to take a job, do it and bear with it for as long as it takes you to find other work. You can give up volunteering at the shelter and go to the gym. Once you've met your fitness goals you can give up going to the gym and spend all your spare time at the animal shelter.

In a sense life is a bitter pill that you have to swallow. I haven't seen anyone post on here even though it has been a while since you started this thread. It is not because no one wants to give you advice, but they probably fear that saying something may sound bitter and they value the relationship they share with you.

I'd suggest you do the following:
1. Identify the cost of your basic needs (Rent + Insurance + Groceries + Car Payment + Gym Membership etc.)
2. Arrive at a cost figure.
3. Find out what opportunities exist where you can earn the cost of all the things you need. Take it even if you don't like it.
4. Absolute priority is to spend time in the gym (that goes for me as well)
5. Create time for your personal projects / money making ideas. Set aside 3-4 hours a week where you only work on such ideas.

Everyone finds people that will make them go ballistic at work. You have no idea of the lady that I meet with on a weekly basis. Sitting through a day long meeting getting her to focus kills it for me. Those meetings are why my past attempts at quitting smoking have never worked. I just deal with it, because I have no other choice. If I did not have this job I would not be able to put food on the table and afford the things in life and support my family. That is what keeps me going.

I will say no more and want you to know that we have always wished for the very best for both you and Tom. The stuff above maybe a little more of an answer than you sought, but I hope you see where I am coming from.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have much to add, only this...
I used to work for myself, I did lots of freelance work out of college
Some people are created to work for themselves, some are not
I never had a problem staying motivated or focused on work
I never had a problem making due dates and my customers were always happy
I did however have one problem, and it was too big for me to deal with
I hated the process of getting projects, I hated life when I had no work or too little work

I admire your determination Ellen to work for yourself
For me though, over the years I have discovered although working set hours can be an adjustment it is well worth it
My life is no longer consumed with fear of where the money is coming from
I just love the fact that it is someone elses problem to bring in the work, all I have to do is do it, when it shows up
Everything in life is a trade off, for me the lack of stress is way more valuable than a totally flexible schedule
And, I suspect most people will agree, finding a job that you like, with a company that you like, is not easy
Although you may have had some bad experiences in the past, persistence usually pays off
Maybe you should consider a fulltime job and leave your web work as more of a hobby
Or maybe you should find a part time job and balance the two, at least then there would always be some money coming in on a schedule

Good Luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Deleted

Re-read your post and decided I wasn't offering the help you are looking for.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Doug and Aashish made some good suggestions, Ellen. I've done bookeeping/office management for the same company for 25 years. I know full well how much pressure is on the boss when work is slow, and the cash flow sux. I'm in Doug's camp. I would not want that responsibility, too much stress. I'd rather show up and be on a set schedule and collect a paycheck each week. I do realize some folks prefer working for themselves, however if the $$ isn't there, other avenues must be explored.

You are an organized person, you can work around a set schedule if you have to. I managed doctor's, dentist, orthodontist appointments for myself and my son when he was young, by asking for the first appointment or last appointment. It didn't always work, but, for the most part it minimized the disruption that medical appointments can cause. Lots of folks manage to hit the gym after a day at work. Volunteer work is great. I've done some myself. Mine was an evening thing one day a week. Most places will be happy to work around YOUR schedule.

If you can find part time work, even better, as then you would have better availability to do the things you want to do.

Craig's list is an excellent suggestion, both to look for a job, and to look for work for your business. My sister used to manage a large medical practice. She used Craig's list to hire people. It worked well.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I actually need a simple logo for JSEnclosures. I've got a deal on the local subaru forums that if someone comes up with a logo i like i'll give them a free subwoofer box but i could throw you 100- bucks if your interested. Probably not worth your time, but pm me if interested
Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I do check Craigs List and have picked up two new clients in the last year from that source. I look every 2-3 days but I think I am going back to every day for awhile...

I have no problem with setting hours and getting work done. I do find I am "best" in the morning for programming and intense thinking...

I created a business Facebook account today (apologies to those of you who got invitations and/or posts)

Going to try and find some local graphic and web designers (and ad agencies) to offer my services to.

If anyone else has ideas please add here, and thanks again
Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Promoted EWP on Facebook. Hoping someone within my rather small network has work they can use EWP for

Very cool E. I never thought of Facebook. Also add a link to your website on the FB page so people can get to it.

May also wanna create FB communities for HondaBeat and the other site you run
Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks buddy There is a link from FB to site, you have to goto "info" apparently.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 AM

I sent out about a dozen emails this weekend to local graphic designers asking if they'd be interested in future partnerships... got 3 responses so far, all positive. Hopefully someone actually comes thru with some work.

I've also sent out an email to all my current customers offering a discounted rate for work on their sites, and/or a 10% referral kickback credit if they send me a friend who wants a web site.

Still looking for someone to give me the next "Facebook" big idea

Quick Reply: I need help - my horoscope said to ask!