New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Helmet stores in Albany area

Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Helmet stores in Albany area

HELP!!

I'm thinking of getting a helmet for my first track day at the Glen and have been searching Google for stores in the Albany area that sell SA2005 helmets. All I can seem to find are motorcycle stores. Do you think I could go to one of these places and try them on for size?

I intend to purchase the G-Force helmet from Racer Wholesale but am open to buying locally if the price can be matched. I would like to try on helmets to know which size would be a good fit (since they will also have to fit my eye glasses) and then go forward from there.

Do you know if there is a difference in the sizing charts for M & SA helmets?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can make a really nice, well crafted tin-foil helmet Sadly, they are not Snell rated.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is if you do not know your helmet size, Go and try one on before buying. Last time I bought a helmet it was quite the adventure. Also one thing I did notice is the sizing was NOT standard from manufacturer to manufacturer. One's medium was larger than the nexts guys large

Good luck in your purchase.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 AM

I bought mine online and had to return the first one and order another larger size. You will need to take your glasses off to put the helmet on then slide them back on thru the eye hole area

Try on a motorcycle helmet from the same manufacturer if you can and that way the sizing should be as close as possible. Sizing typically runs like hats -- you will need to measure your head to get a starting size.

This will at least get you in the right direction...
http://www.xsportsprotective.com/hel...ing-guide.html

I went with a size larger than what measurements said to allow room for glasses and to not feel quite as claustrophobic

I wore my helmet a few minutes than longer and longer every day before my first track event trying to get used to it. I was really uncomfortable with it the first week but got more used to it. I even drove home from work with it on one day

Once you are in your car sitting on pit lane waiting to go out on track you will completely forget you even have it on
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a snell 2000 helmet from Griffin Motorsports over on Central Ave way back when. I believe mine's a large but just like previously mentioned, I had to try different helmets on to get the size right. Then I made an order for a "wineberry red" helmet that wasn't in stock at the time.

Thats my advice and most motorcyle/recreational shops should carry them. Give it a shot.

-Jer
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by GPMike,Apr 10 2009, 11:39 PM
I can make a really nice, well crafted tin-foil helmet Sadly, they are not Snell rated.
As long as it has Brawn GP colors I wont mind getting a tin foil helmet
Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks Ellen, Jeremy & Ziippy. I'll try out the motorcycle stores. Your advice is much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Apr 11 2009, 12:26 PM
As long as it has Brawn GP colors I wont mind getting a tin foil helmet
Baw humbug - team colors come and go. My helmet is classic Black with a Silver "H" Honda logo on the back to match MY race car

At some point I would like to find some lettering to put my name on the helmet as well but that's probably not an issue for this year.

Make sure to take care of your helmet... by this I mean cleaning after each event!!! I use a sponge dipped in soapy water and wrung out to go over every surface inside the helmet several times.

I then repeat with just plain water to remove any of the soap. Let it air out for a day out of the bag or carry case to dry. If you use it again this year you may want to repeat the cleaning a few days before the event so it doesn't smell bad when you put it on

Forget having a good hair day at the track Bring along your favorite hat for when the helmet comes off

Dress in layers, bring extra socks and shoes (rain happens), bring a folding chair, bring a cooler of drinks and snacks. You have plenty of room in your cars vs the S
Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Apr 11 2009, 09:55 AM
Baw humbug - team colors come and go. My helmet is classic Black with a Silver "H" Honda logo on the back to match MY race car

At some point I would like to find some lettering to put my name on the helmet as well but that's probably not an issue for this year.

Make sure to take care of your helmet... by this I mean cleaning after each event!!! I use a sponge dipped in soapy water and wrung out to go over every surface inside the helmet several times.

I then repeat with just plain water to remove any of the soap. Let it air out for a day out of the bag or carry case to dry. If you use it again this year you may want to repeat the cleaning a few days before the event so it doesn't smell bad when you put it on

Forget having a good hair day at the track Bring along your favorite hat for when the helmet comes off

Dress in layers, bring extra socks and shoes (rain happens), bring a folding chair, bring a cooler of drinks and snacks. You have plenty of room in your cars vs the S
Yes ma'am

But seriously, thanks for all the advice Ellen.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Apr 11 2009, 09:55 AM
My helmet is classic Black with a Silver "H" Honda logo on the back to match MY race car
Is there a place that I can get a Honda helmet with the "H" logo?

Quick Reply: Helmet stores in Albany area