New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Growing hops... my story

Old 04-13-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, this is a beautiful trellis. wow...

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 AM

YAHOO - I'm finally done...

Between Thursday night when it was decent out, and this past Saturday I finally got all my updates done for the season
The spring weather has been a real challenge, between the rain and the wind I just could not get stuff done quick enough

I'll post pics this week, I just ran out of time this weekend

Here was the issue
- the yellow braided plastic like line could not handle 2-years of weather and UV, and the supports broke, letting a few of the plants to fall to the ground last year
- so all the climbing rops had to be replaced
- the original method of tightening the rope during the season was to nail a stake farther down into the ground, that design idea was flawed as it was putting the stake right down into the root mass which seemed like a bad idea
- so a new bottom mount system was needed

The solution for this year
- replace all yellow plastic rope with better white braided nylon
- do some testing this year to see what diameter metal cable I need for them to grow up
- add 2" x 4" x 12' boards with eyelets to the bottom of the trellis posts on the two 12' sections
- add 1.5" x 1.75" x 14" board with eyelets to the bottom of the 23' pole

Mother nature really had me worried, I was not sure I could get everything done in time, but I made it
3 of the plants were so tall/long I was able to get them wrapped around the rope so they can start climbing, and now the rope does not start until it is about 8" off the ground
Old 09-19-2011, 04:49 AM

Well it was a year that I learned a lot...
My oldest plants are on their 3rd year, I have one that is on its 2nd year and I started a few new plants this year from rooting clippings
The rooting of new plants was a trial and error thing, but I was able to not only get 2 done and growing, one of them was from my most extreme variety, Nugget
Next year I need to make up 2 to 3 new plants and then my entire 24' fence will be filled

If I start another 12' section I have to be very specific about what I add
The one I want is Saaz) – Czech Rep – 4.00%) – Aroma, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to find it
Here is what i now have
Name – Origin – Alpha(%) – Type
Cascade – US – 5.50% – Aroma and Bittering
Mt. Hood – US – 6.00% – Aroma
Nugget – US – 13.00% – Bittering
Willamette – US – 5.50% – Aroma

This was my 1st year of harvesting, a very labor intensive process I might add
And for sure, I now know, harvesting somehow needs to be done before KNAPP, as in end of August

Cascade + Willamette

Mt Hood - top rack
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 AM

Wow, holy crap, it was easy to find...

Saaz Hops - Our Price: $10.00
http://www.egardenseed.com/Saaz_Hops_p/0712.htm
Availability:: Shipping begins Spring 2012- Order NOW!

Saaz (Saazer) Hops are also called Bohemian or Bohemian Red Hops. Saaz is a very traditional aroma hop that was originally selected in Czechoslovakia from a hop that has been grown in the area since the middle ages.

Saaz is classified as one of the four true Noble varieties of hops, its primary use is for its distinct mild spice aroma and mild flavor. The saaz aroma can be described best as spicy, clean, classic and noble.

Saaz hops are the defining element for the classic Pilsner Urquell and Budìjovice Budweiser beers, and are popular in light lager, pale ale, and wit styles. Saaz are suitable for production of highly premium beers. Their mild bitterness is particularly suited for Pilsener-type beers.

Substitute: Sterling.
Alpha 3-6%.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Wow, holy crap, it was easy to find...

Saaz Hops - Our Price: $10.00
http://www.egardenseed.com/Saaz_Hops_p/0712.htm
Availability:: Shipping begins Spring 2012- Order NOW!

Saaz (Saazer) Hops are also called Bohemian or Bohemian Red Hops. Saaz is a very traditional aroma hop that was originally selected in Czechoslovakia from a hop that has been grown in the area since the middle ages.

Saaz is classified as one of the four true Noble varieties of hops, its primary use is for its distinct mild spice aroma and mild flavor. The saaz aroma can be described best as spicy, clean, classic and noble.

Saaz hops are the defining element for the classic Pilsner Urquell and Budìjovice Budweiser beers, and are popular in light lager, pale ale, and wit styles. Saaz are suitable for production of highly premium beers. Their mild bitterness is particularly suited for Pilsener-type beers.

Substitute: Sterling.
Alpha 3-6%.

That's one of the key hops in the Wagner Valley Miss Street beer, one of my favorites.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

So are you going to get into home brewing now?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
So are you going to get into home brewing now?
Yes and no
Yes eventially
No now

This year I want to play with some smoking of meats, as well as maybe some mairinated baths
I'm going to put a beer makink kit on my christmas, so maybe next year

I have some growinv pruning, changes to make and I'm hoping that will bump up my yield, and of course I have no clue how much I need...

Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

So what happens with your first harvest? Can hops be stored for a long time or is there someone you plan to give this to? It would be nice to see some sort of end product coming from your first yield.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
So what happens with your first harvest? Can hops be stored for a long time or is there someone you plan to give this to? It would be nice to see some sort of end product coming from your first yield.
Storage would seem to be a no
I'm going to try some marinades and smoking on the grille
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^ That sounds like a cool idea.

Quick Reply: Growing hops... my story