New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Growing hops... my story

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Jun 8 2010, 10:25 AM
Forget the dog run tie out. Try anchor augers.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-garden/o...et-of-6-1110418
These are a smaller version of what they use to hold up telephone poles - but my Tractor Supply also sells the telephone pole version on an individual basis. Also smaller versions as well.
So these would be stronger than the spiral type design?

And yes, for sure, smaller versions would be fine, there is very little actual tension on the stake as I don't pull the rope real tight, just sort of snug.

I have a Tractor Supply in Canandaigua, and I'm out that way often enough so that's no issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 8 2010, 10:34 AM
How does that work?
I need something I can get into the ground, and then tie the bottom of the rope to it
Then as the season goes on I'll need to retie the rope tighter
It is kind of like a ratchet strap for a rope, it lets you pull it tighter, but you can't slacken it without pressing down on the collar. You still need some way to anchor it to the ground - this saves you the untie/re-tie.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

The clothes line device has 3 ball bearings through which the line runs. When you pull the cup shaped retainer part in the middle, it pulls the ball bearings out toward the wider part of retainer and you can slide hte rope. It works for a roughly 1/4" diameter rope.

Of course, once you get fruit on the hops, the squirrels can run up the rope with no trouble at all.

If you study up on your knots, you should be able to come up with a slip knot that you can tighten from time to time. The one Nancy uses on my neck would work, but it's one of those historical suspension type knots rarely used in prisons these days. I think you can finding something with a more simple design, especially since you don't want to do untoward damage to the hops.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Maksim,Jun 8 2010, 02:24 PM
It is kind of like a ratchet strap for a rope, it lets you pull it tighter, but you can't slacken it without pressing down on the collar. You still need some way to anchor it to the ground - this saves you the untie/re-tie.
Very clever, thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=blueosprey90,Jun 8 2010, 02:35 PM] Of course, once you get fruit on the hops, the squirrels can run up the rope with no trouble at all.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this thread is hoppening!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 AM

People have been shot for things less punny
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Where are the hops?

Did they have a nice warm mulch cover for the winter?

Have they received their spring feeding?

Are they ready to sprout and show their growth to glory?

Or are they forgotten, abused, abandoned and left to rot in the dirt?

Where are our friends, the Hops?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

It will be 2 years next month since this thread started. Wonder how the 's been growing
Old 04-12-2011, 04:10 AM

Cool, I'll update...
Thanks Aash for bringing this back

In simple terms this will be my 3rd year for 8 plants and the 2nd year for 5 plants, and within a month or so I will take clippings from the new growth and get 4-5 more plants started. I have found this silly vine is very easy to root from a clipping, just snip off a 3" piece, put it in a glass of water, and about 2-weeks later it has developed roots. Then pop it into a little paper (self rotting) plant cup with good soil and let it grow for about 2-weeks inside where I can keep it watered like twice a day. After that it can go right out into the ground, cup and all and it takes off from there. Very simple.

There is nothing to do to them after they die in the fall, the dead vine just blows around all winter. In the spring, I did it last weekend, I get out the mower and run everything down. Everything above the ground is dead and gone by the time the snow is all melted. Sunday and last night I went around and weeded all around each of the plants. Right now you can see poking up through the ground this dark red shoot, if we keep getting warm weather and rain they should be green plants about up to 4" tall in a couple weeks, by July they will be 12-feet tall, no problem...

The 1st couple of years I have trimmed each plant to give me only one vine because I was interested in how tall they would grow. Now that my main plant has shown it can easily do 25-feet or more, for this year I'm changing my strategy. This year I'm going to allow each vine to have two shoots, this in theory will mean they don't get too tall for the trellis, and will be much more full, which will mean more fruit.

Quick Reply: Growing hops... my story