New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gilly needs a job!

Old 06-25-2009 | 01:41 PM
15 Year Member

Well, as of today you can also add me to the ranks of the unemployed. Corporate cutbacks.
Crimminies!

You know, The Gilly Project checked S2ki forum rules to see if one could create a "resume" thread on the main board. The rules are silent on this specific subject but the rules have a general prohibition against commercial sales. Anybody know how to get an official ruling on this? Maybe the Spa Leader would at least let Upstate create a resume sticky thread, but it really couldn't be a chat thread.

Incidentally apropos of my earlier comments Gilly, you should check the informal rules.
Old 06-25-2009 | 02:13 PM
15 Year Member

Gilly, I'm just one guy across whose desk a few resumes have passed. The resume and the letter get like two seconds - maybe five seconds on a good day. If I don't see something right away that grabs my interest, the resume is put aside and never looked at again. That's what your up against - and the others too. Maybe if your resume is going through a human resources department, some non-decision maker picks out 10 candidates that look good - and that person wants to see a different kind of resume - and then The Project's advice is useless and actually a negative. Who knows. You can take my advice and chuck it. But I think you want somebody to see Johns Hopkins. You want somebody to see your relevant work experience or skills. At this point, that's just about all you have to get into the door. Otherwise you need someone, like Eric, who has a contact and can say, look, here's a pretty interesting guy that I know about that maybe we should consider.

Just a little story and then I'm going to go for a ride and then home. My daughter got an interview at the UVA medical school on the strength of this phrase in her admissions essay: "And what did I learn from watching the Dukes of Hazard? --- Absolutely nothing." The essay was well done, but that phrase cought the eye of one of the doctors involved in the admissions process and he was so curious about the person who would write about the Dukes of Hazard in a medical school essay, that he invited her in. He literally told her so. The essay could have been a complete backfire. You know, all of the other actually qualified students probably wrote about volunteering in the E.R. or their plans on saving the world or controlling health care costs. Her's was a little different and she got picked out. She didn't have a great academic background for medical school. At first she got wait listed at UVA and then did get in. I'm convinced that she was ultimately accepted because when it came right down to picking someone off the wait list, the doctor who interviewed her said "take her." I may be completely wrong, but that's what I think because that's exactly what I would have done.

Isn't this more fun than Tuesday night's postings?
Old 06-25-2009 | 02:34 PM
15 Year Member

it is more fun. unfortunately it has gotten me more worried about getting a job. its a roller coaster really. it got me excited, now i'm more worried, and soon i'll be excited again.

hopefully something will come along. until then, i get to work in a fun environment at the clothing store and hopefully i can just keep going with this job search.
Old 06-25-2009 | 02:47 PM

Dont stress to bad, you will land a job. Most often its when you least expect it.
Old 06-25-2009 | 03:43 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by markpenske,Jun 25 2009, 12:59 PM
Well, as of today you can also add me to the ranks of the unemployed. Corporate cutbacks.
Sorry to hear that Mark. I hope you find something soon.

Jeff - Wondering if we should expand the Gilly project into something larger. A networking thread for people that are looking for jobs.
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:48 PM
15 Year Member

New England has a stikey thread titled New England Job Bank. So I guess something can be done - although were not talking a job bank, rather a resume bank.

For Gilly United Health Care resume Tips
Old 06-25-2009 | 06:25 PM

^ if one cannot sell themself, than one should not exist.
Old 06-26-2009 | 03:45 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jun 25 2009, 06:25 PM
^ if one cannot sell themself, than one should not exist.
But zzziippyyy, not everyone has a Type A personality like you do
Old 06-26-2009 | 05:01 AM
15 Year Member

My parents brought me up to call my "elders" (i use that term lightly by the way) as Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. Blank.
My problem is that I'm a 24 year old in a 61 year old body. But back to

The Gilly Project. Strategy, Part One, Follow the Money

I was going to try to suggest ways of trying to track the Obama Stimulus money, which starts at http://www.Recovery.gov and http://www.FedBizOpps.gov. At the state level, the money comes into some state agency and then is used as a source of funds to support either a state or local project. But for Gilly, I may have a possible Obama Stimulus triple play right here under my nose.

Stimulus money funneled to New Milford Sewer Commission to build a $28 million sewer plant. Project expected to take 2 years. Bids opened a couple of weeks ago and now moving through Town channels. Steve Seigal (sp?) at CDM is the design engineer and they may need to beef up their staff for the project. Carlin Construction and Contracting of Waterford, CT is the apparent low bidder and they may need to beef up their in-house engineering staff as well - for shop drawings and the like. New Milford Sewer Commission may be hiring a "clerk of the works" to act as the eyes and ears of the Commission during the build. They are very likely to do that either directly or through CDM. See http://www.ReedConstructionData for CDM's information. You would send the resume directly to Steve Seigal (sp?) who I sort of know. You would send the resume to Ken Bailey at the New Milford Sewer Commission with whom I would be happy to set up a conference call to see if the Commission will be hiring its own "clerk of the works" and to discuss the other possible options

Gilly's lucky since he can go just about anywhere in the world, even to Iraq and Asganistan (where I bet there are some high paying engineering oportunities). For Mark, I don't know. Carlin Construction may be the only option on my triple play depending on if you work construction.

It's 8:55 a.m. Where's Gilly? Sleeping in?
Old 06-26-2009 | 05:31 AM

eric,
Do you work at moog?

Quick Reply: Gilly needs a job!