New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gilly needs a job!

Old 06-25-2009 | 09:34 AM
15 Year Member

I KNEW your area sounded familiar to me Eric! I've applied to (at least recently because those are the only ones that are being shown on the website) East Aurora! I'm pretty sure I have applied to some other areas, but they were probably filled and taken off of my job search profile on the moog website.

and as of to whom:

the only business segment that is still posted that I can view is "aircraft"

I will apply to more tonight and will let you know as soon as I have done so. (and to which jobs I applied to)
Old 06-25-2009 | 11:42 AM

cool -- !!

i can hand-carry it to the person in the type of job you want!

i can help!!
Old 06-25-2009 | 11:48 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by eric,Jun 25 2009, 03:42 PM
cool -- !!

i can help!!
yea! if you want you can you PM me your email address and i'll send you a formatted copy of both my cover letter and my resume... although like jeff said i need to try to rewrite some of my cover letter

if you would/could do that for me though I'd be so grateful!
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:09 PM
15 Year Member

hehe i'm checking right now. i just wanted to respond as soon as I could because I feel weird with this thread being all about helping me find a job!
It's called "networking". Get used to it since it's the future for your generation. We had to keep you constructively occupied and The Gilly Project just seems to have taken on a life of its own.

So sorry to hear about your mother's health problems. That diagnosis is the worst news one can get. Hope that your mom can stay upbeat and that her condition can be treated with success.
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:15 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Jun 25 2009, 04:09 PM
It's called "networking". Get used to it since it's the future for your generation. We had to keep you constructively occupied and The Gilly Project just seems to have taken on a life of its own.

So sorry to hear about your mother's health problems. That diagnosis is the worst news one can get. Hope that your mom can stay upbeat and that her condition can be treated with success.
she actually had surgery a week or so ago but the found it in time. they thought it was noninvasive but after further tests after the surgery it was determined that this was not the case. she has an appointment with the oncologist on tuesday and we'll know if chemo is needed then.

the funny thing is, is that she is very upbeat and she is a big believer that everything happens for a reason, the reason for this is that she needs to slow down.

i'll definitely keep you all posted though
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:18 PM

^ my mom is almost the exact same. She went thru radiation and did part of the chemo she quit the chemo as it made her too sick. So far so good this was last summer.
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:27 PM

here is my email --

eric@spbr.org

i am sorry for your mom, too --

-- my mom is a BC survivor and is the pres. of the wny breas cancer coalition -- she's really in to it.

let me know if you'd like them to send your mom a fact-bag for those recently diagnosed.
Old 06-25-2009 | 12:59 PM

Well, as of today you can also add me to the ranks of the unemployed. Corporate cutbacks.
Old 06-25-2009 | 01:22 PM
15 Year Member

Talk about The Gilly Project having a life of its own! This is exactly what The Project is trying to achieve! But much to fast for my methodical approach. Obviously, strike while the iron is hot, but if you plan to send to Ecic tonight or tomorrow, consider this.

First, The Gilly Project doesn't have the slightest idea what MOOG is so take its advice with a grain of salt.

Second, The Project would restructure the resume generally as follows.

Education. The high school can be dropped. Doesn't add much. Assuming it is important, the EIT Certification Candidate, July 2009 can be moved up after JHU. (Is that the first of the series of tests for a P.E.? )

Move Mechanical and Computer Skills up behind Education. They want to know right off the bat that you can design or build something. Can you read blueprints? Maybe that goes without saying for a M.E. Even your basic carpentry and plumbing skills could be listed. Don't you know something about motors, combustion theory or something like that. This may go to activities/interests, but consider here.

Employment Objective. This maybe should be first, but in your case I think third, but it has to be not lower than the middle of the page. Have to somehow express that you can work independently or as part of a group. Maybe look at the five year plan and modify it to this position/company.

Work Experience. Have to shorten this up and drop the list method. For example, I condensed these from your cover letter (with a little creative license).

"Open-ended task of designing and fabricating an autonomous charging mechanism for the REMUS underwater vehicle. Leadership roles of external corporate liaison and primary machinist contact throughout the completion of this project."

"Partial and complete automotive restorations, including mechanical and structural parts fabrication.

"Research evaluating the flow structure and turbulence in the bottom boundary layer of the coastal ocean." (Was this some sort of computer modeling?)

You can beef them up, but the Project wants to try to get the resume down to one page. I don't think the list method is too effective anyway.

Activities/Achievements. Use commas rather than the list.

Order of the Engineer, what is an Inaugural Inductee and does it mean anything to your qualifications? Drop the paintball. Leave Eagle Scout, because anyone who knows anything about scouting will know that's a big deal. Put the date, maybe and the specific project if it is impressive.

References. It should read "References - Available on request" And if you get an interview, bring the list of references with you!

The Gilly Project doesn't have time to address the cover letter today. But whatever you do, don't sign it "Regards" - too informal. Close with "Sincerely" or "Very truly yours" , but if you use the latter, check a letter writing handbook to see if all words are supposed to be capitalized.

Apologies for this post given my earlier post indicating that I wouldn't post to allow you some breathing room.

P.S. Don't blow you old resume away.
Old 06-25-2009 | 01:39 PM
15 Year Member

first, the EIT is the first step towards the PE.

Second, I will have to spend tomorrow (my brother is coming in soon from baltimore and i need to spend SOME time with my niece.) revamping my resume to send to Eric (if that is okay with you Eric).

Third, I have my resume's from two years ago so i haven't thrown any of them away, I just save new ones.

I will post tomorrow a new updated resume for critiques. This resume that is seen above was based on a few other resumes and read over/editded by a northrop grumman HR employee which is why i've been using it as is.

Jeff you are truly knowledgeable, something all hopkins grads should aspire to be!

I hope its okay i call you jeff by the way (and everyone else by their first names!!!! that is another thing that bothers me a lot when talking on this forum. My parents brought me up to call my "elders" (i use that term lightly by the way) as Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. Blank. Calling people by their first names has always bothered me. quick story i used to call one of my mom's co-workers who took me to many bills games Mr. Sam because he didn't want me to call him by his last name... so we compromised with that haha

Quick Reply: Gilly needs a job!