New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gilly needs a job!

Old 06-24-2009 | 04:45 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Great resume & cover letter Gilly. I am well & truly impressed
Old 06-24-2009 | 07:52 PM
15 Year Member

The Gilly Project, Preliminaries, Part I

O.K., we have something to work with. Big Deal! (Oh, did I say that? )

1. With this resume, why don't you have an engineering job? You don't have to say publicly, send me a p.m. (or not) But you have to be brutally honest with yourself to assess this issue and then maybe we can help. Is it just a lack of organization and you didn't get to job search during the last semester? Or are you rubbing potential employers the wrong way because of brashness and immaturity? Or are you instead a quiet and shy guy who has a hard time selling his talents (Your posts would have to be a cover in that case) I don't know squat about mechanical engineering, but I do know that employers will try to make a position for great candidates even if they don't have a position. (My nephew in highschool got hired in an engineering firm out of Quiznos after a student of the month newspaper article. The boss came looking for him!) And on paper you look great. So my immediate reaction is that there is something about you that worries or puts off potential employers. You have to figure this out sooner rather than later. We'll give you 36 hours. Ask your mom and dad. They know you best.

2. What's your life plan. Where do you expect to be in 5 and 10 years and how do you plan to get there. Life is like a moon shot You have a plan even if you have to make lots of adjustments along the way. And you still may never get to the moon. So when we are trying to help you get a job, where should we be aiming our rockets? We'll give you 36 hours. We want a clear response to this.

2. Before we get down to hard tacks (maybe you though we were there already), we have to address the background check. You need to clean up any FaceBook, MySpace or similar social websites, eliminate any blogs that portray you or others in a negative light or that are critical to your school, prior employers and the like. Take down anything that is derogatory or reflects badly on you. You have to get a copy of your credit report and clean up any messes that it reflects. And you should be very careful of how and what you post on this and other sites. If I was Robert Ballard at Woods Hole and was thinking of hiring you to work on the next deep submersible and saw just about any of your posts on this site, I would move on to the next candidate so fast your head would spin. I know you post in great fun, but to an potential employer, it would translate much differently. I personally know a young woman who lost two jobs in two years because of what she posted on her blog even though she thought her posts were perfectly innocent and acceptable and constructed to avoid any employment issue. The first termination might have been bad luck; the second was stupidity. The background check is important. You have to worry about it.

So I have to go home. This is just a starter for The Gilly Project. Don't be depressed. Even Charles Barkley is getting his swing back.

Jeff

P.S., Nothing wrong with it, but do need to work on your letter a bit. Got to get you hired by the 3rd paragraph.
Old 06-24-2009 | 08:25 PM

well this thread just got real serious, and maybe for the best for Gilly, so im outta here.
Old 06-25-2009 | 03:06 AM

Wow, when we're done with the Gilly Project can we work on the Emerson Web Project??? I need another $10k a year out of the business so I can move to Watkins Glen next year
Old 06-25-2009 | 03:46 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

^^ We wanna keep you in the area Ellen just as we'd like to see Gilly gainfully employed
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:45 AM

I got nothing here for the most part. And I'm not close to Albany anymore. I don't have any real friends near by I can get a drink or coffee with, shop with, see a movie with or anyone I am close to.

At least in the Glen I can visit with Cheryll more often - if Eric will let her out of the house And watch F1 with other people several weekends a year, attend all the major racing that happens at the track...

Goto opening day and drive my car around the track. Maybe afford a track day or two because I won't be paying for extra gas, food, or lodging... I could go on

In any case, I need an extra $10k a year to pay off a HUGE amount of debt and avoid eventual bankruptcy
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:50 AM
15 Year Member

The Gilly Project, Preliminaries, Part 1A, Afterthoughts.

The job of finding a job is a full time job.

1. Gilly, I think you should edit the post of your resume to take down the names, addresses etc of your references. Say "References available on request." They may not appreciate having their information posted on this site. Maybe on Monster.com where you have to register for access, but not here.

2. The only company I know of in your area is the Graham Corporation in Batavia. They make condensors and other equipment for oil refineries etc. Is that thermodymnamics? I don't know. But go mine their website. They were booming a few months ago when oil was high and its already starting to move up again. You have to figure out what their projects are and on whose desk you have to land your resume (and I don't mean personnell). So you have to read their press releases and maybe even their annual reports. At the moment, they don't know that they need you - but that's your (our) job. Don't send your resume in just yet until you've done this spade work.

3. Saw a news report this a.m. that GM is hiring 600 people. Some of those have to be design engineers. Try to run down the details of that report (try the GM website for starters).

4. Speaking of GM, look at http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/. That's the site for federal jobs. Hell, the government probably needs some engeneers to work on the takeover of the auto industry.

5. And Zippy, don't give up on The Gilly Project just yet. I saw that boat, so you have to know someone who owns a boat who knows someone who operates a boatyard, who needs an engine mechanic or someone to troubleshoot marine electronics. And isn't there a big Navy operation in Maine? Unless Gilly's married to Buffalo, The Gilly Project is going to need your contacts.
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:55 AM

One of my company's largest customers is Airsep, based in Buffalo. They design and manufacture oxygen concentrators and other medical equipment. I am not sure if they are hiring but they employ a number of engineers.
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadashi,Jun 25 2009, 04:45 AM
I got nothing here for the most part. And I'm not close to Albany anymore. I don't have any real friends near by I can get a drink or coffee with, shop with, see a movie with or anyone I am close to.

At least in the Glen I can visit with Cheryll more often - if Eric will let her out of the house And watch F1 with other people several weekends a year, attend all the major racing that happens at the track...

Goto opening day and drive my car around the track. Maybe afford a track day or two because I won't be paying for extra gas, food, or lodging... I could go on

In any case, I need an extra $10k a year to pay off a HUGE amount of debt and avoid eventual bankruptcy
^^ Hey! here is a link to IT jobs that are currently open in the Watkins Glen area. Also, maybe Doug can hook you up with his buddy Mike C, who is like a project manager at this software company, if you are truly serious.

http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/ser...atkins+Glen+NY
Old 06-25-2009 | 04:57 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

and Gilly if programming is something you are keen on, maybe I can send your resume out to people I know. But you will have to showcase your IT skills more prominently on your resume.

Quick Reply: Gilly needs a job!