New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gilly needs a job!

Old 08-31-2009 | 02:44 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak,Aug 31 2009, 06:32 PM
As it is right now, I will call a job search agency on thursday (when they told me to call). they think they have an interview that they can line up for me.

I will keep you all posted
yes, in the last month i HAVE been looking for jobs still haha, expanding my networking etc.

Although, many people have told me i do not need a cover letter.

I will have one ready in case i do need one though.
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:06 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Gilly,

As a retired Director of Engineering for a major Consumer Products Company, I have a couple of suggestions, so take them for what they're worth:

1) You do need a cover letter. You should address each potential employer personally, explaining briefly what you can contribute to their operation (department, etc.)

2) I don't know if you've updated your resume (which is pretty impressive, IMHO!), I think you need to add a section stating your career goals, both short and long-term. In any event, the resume should be one page, but in any case, no longer than two pages long. I don't know how many resumes I've tossed because they were just too long.

3) When you go for an interview, make sure you research in detail the company, so that you know their history, their mission, and can tell them how you can make them more profitable by hiring you.

4) After the interview, immediately write a follow-up letter to all who interviewed you, thanking them for their time, and telling them you're positive that you feel that you would be an asset to the department you interviewed for.

Good luck on your job search!
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:29 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jukngene,Aug 31 2009, 08:06 PM
Gilly,

As a retired Director of Engineering for a major Consumer Products Company, I have a couple of suggestions, so take them for what they're worth:

1) You do need a cover letter. You should address each potential employer personally, explaining briefly what you can contribute to their operation (department, etc.)

2) I don't know if you've updated your resume (which is pretty impressive, IMHO!), I think you need to add a section stating your career goals, both short and long-term. In any event, the resume should be one page, but in any case, no longer than two pages long. I don't know how many resumes I've tossed because they were just too long.

3) When you go for an interview, make sure you research in detail the company, so that you know their history, their mission, and can tell them how you can make them more profitable by hiring you.

4) After the interview, immediately write a follow-up letter to all who interviewed you, thanking them for their time, and telling them you're positive that you feel that you would be an asset to the department you interviewed for.

Good luck on your job search!
Thank you for the input!!! i will not take this with a grain of salt. After over a year of searching for jobs, I take all advice and try it. As I said I will add a cover letter if needed. I left out that i will add it to any company to which I cold call or have a contact in (as opposed to applying online in mass) (not career builder but rather stuff like lockheed martin and northrop grumman online where they have hundreds of jobs to apply for)

I can add a section to my resume about my career goals, however, the search agency i'm with tells me its kind of dated (not offense to you being retired!!!!) my mom suggested that too.

I've already done much research on any company I have applied to. Expecting to do more for any company I get asked to come in for an interview for.

I will definitely write a thank you letter/follow-up letter, that is DEFINITELY great advice.

-Steve
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:41 PM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak,Aug 31 2009, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the input!!! i will not take this with a grain of salt. After over a year of searching for jobs, I take all advice and try it. As I said I will add a cover letter if needed. I left out that i will add it to any company to which I cold call or have a contact in (as opposed to applying online in mass) (not career builder but rather stuff like lockheed martin and northrop grumman online where they have hundreds of jobs to apply for)

I can add a section to my resume about my career goals, however, the search agency i'm with tells me its kind of dated (not offense to you being retired!!!!) my mom suggested that too.

I've already done much research on any company I have applied to. Expecting to do more for any company I get asked to come in for an interview for.

I will definitely write a thank you letter/follow-up letter, that is DEFINITELY great advice.

-Steve
That's interesting about not stating your career goals. Guess I'm a bit dated! Thanks, anyway, for considering my suggestions.

Again, good luck in your search!!!
Old 10-16-2009 | 12:43 PM
15 Year Member

Just to let you all know, I will be applying to a Engineering Management Program down at hopkins. Half tuition (for hopkins grads), and i would get my Masters in one year.

I'll keep you posted with how it goes. the job hunt is not looking any better and i need to do something in my career path or i will go CRAZY i figured this will benefit me greatly.
Old 10-16-2009 | 12:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Good luck and god speed Gilly. Make sure you come back to Upstate once you are done graduating. You belong here
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:42 PM
15 Year Member

Good Luck back in Baltimore. Sorry we couln't be of more (actual) help.
Old 10-16-2009 | 02:19 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Oct 16 2009, 05:42 PM
Good Luck back in Baltimore. Sorry we couln't be of more (actual) help.
no no NNNOOOOOO you guys were AWESOME HUGE AMOUNTS of help. especially with my resume!!!!!

don't kick yourself int he butt kuz the market sucks!!!

you guys are awesome
Old 12-18-2009 | 11:37 AM
15 Year Member

Gilly, going through the want ads.

Derector Shipyards,
Attn: Ms. Elizabeth Weatherbone
837 Seaview Avenue
Bridgeport, CT

Look up zip.

Advertising this week for a mechanical engineer. Looking for a M.E. with 5 years or a masters degree. Design, manafacture & maintain machines, manufacturing equipment, mechanical installations and mechanical facilities, and other duties.

Also www.monroestaffing.com held a job fair on 12/16 for various positions, including mechanical engineer - manufacture of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry.

Have you tried Graham Corporation in Batavia?

Jeff
Old 12-18-2009 | 04:56 PM
15 Year Member

Hey Jeff,

I have not tried. I am waiting to hear from Hopkins about my masters program in the next couple of days (business). If that doesn't work out i'm actually going to look at UB or some schools in chicago to be closer to my GF after she graduates.

and if ALL of that doesn't work out, i don't know how to get experience to apply to those jobs haha

Quick Reply: Gilly needs a job!