New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gilly needs a job!

Old 07-24-2009 | 12:01 PM
15 Year Member

Northrop Grumman Undersea Systems, Intern, Senior Design Project
Designed an underwater autonomous charging mechanism to reduce lost time associated with deployment and recovery of the REMUS unmanned underwater vehicle, typically deployed for 24 hours at a time. Developed a complete electric motor and lead screw system to work in a harsh seawater environment with a team of four interns. Worked closely with the machinist to machine the design while also contacting vendors for COTS products and serving as external corporate liaison. Designed and built a prototype which passed all requirement tests successfully.

How is that??
Old 07-24-2009 | 01:20 PM
15 Year Member

I would do it this way:

Designed and built a prototype underwater autonomous charging mechanism to reduce lost time associated with deployment and recovery of the REMUS unmanned underwater vehicle, typically deployed for 24 hours at a time. Developed a complete electric motor and lead screw system to work in a harsh seawater environment with a team of four interns. Worked closely with the machinist to machine the design while also contacting vendors for COTS products and serving as external corporate liaison. Prototype meeting system requirements successfully tested.
Old 07-24-2009 | 06:41 PM
15 Year Member

just got home for work. Updated to what you have for the Northrop Grumman.
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:39 AM
15 Year Member

Okay so i just did my credit report.

Nothing bad on it. So that won't harm me in any way.
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:19 PM

Gilly,

I'm just passing along a thread (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=701204) of one of the NY Metro guys who is in the same field. He is also a recent college grad. Perhaps you can hook-up.

I do not know Jon personally but he is a very good member of the community.

Good luck with the search.
Old 07-29-2009 | 01:32 PM
15 Year Member

Gilly, where are you? Did you see my e-mail or is it in spam? Since you're not going to Lancaster, work on your letter.

One page.

Build your letter around these excerpts

I have several key skills necessary to compete in a twenty-first century workforce including leadership, communication, innovation and teamwork. In addition the commitment and integrity
Working my way up from custodial jobs to skillfully fabricating parts allowed me the opportunity to see the value of all contributors to a team and workplace. I also learned the importance of balancing speed and quality by providing a turnaround time that satisfied the customer while ensuring the excellence of the product. Conversely, working on complete restorations taught me patience and the ability to continually communicate with my peers and superiors ensuring my complete grasp of a long-term project.
Not informal, but not so formal that it's stilted.

Start by saying you're a recent graduate of Johns Hopkins looking for an entry level engineering position. Say that you worked hard to get your education and that despite the current economy, you are anxious to get to work in your chosen field as quickly as possible. Say that you're ambitious, hard working and diligent. Say that your prior experience (then from 2nd quote above) ... Finish up with the first quote.

If they are not hiring, and he knows someone who is, to please pass the resume on or to let you know and you'll send the resume directly.
Old 07-30-2009 | 04:38 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Jul 29 2009, 05:32 PM
Gilly, where are you? Did you see my e-mail or is it in spam? Since you're not going to Lancaster, work on your letter.

One page.

Build your letter around these excerpts

Not informal, but not so formal that it's stilted.

Start by saying you're a recent graduate of Johns Hopkins looking for an entry level engineering position. Say that you worked hard to get your education and that despite the current economy, you are anxious to get to work in your chosen field as quickly as possible. Say that you're ambitious, hard working and diligent. Say that your prior experience (then from 2nd quote above) ... Finish up with the first quote.

If they are not hiring, and he knows someone who is, to please pass the resume on or to let you know and you'll send the resume directly.
Jeff!

Which email?! I think I saw it. The final corrections on my resume? I didn't respond to you on that one, just made the corrections (sorry!!!)

Unfortunately, I was out with my mom and dad last night, my mom really wanted to go out to eat so we went to outback.

My cover letter will be worked on today, tonight is my parents aniv, so i'll be going out to eat with them again.
Old 07-30-2009 | 04:46 AM
15 Year Member

I think I saw it. The final corrections on my resume?
That's the one.
Old 07-30-2009 | 04:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak,Jul 30 2009, 04:38 AM
Jeff!

Which email?! I think I saw it. The final corrections on my resume? I didn't respond to you on that one, just made the corrections (sorry!!!)

Unfortunately, I was out with my mom and dad last night, my mom really wanted to go out to eat so we went to outback.

My cover letter will be worked on today, tonight is my parents aniv, so i'll be going out to eat with them again.
Wish your parents a Happy Anniversary on behalf of Upstate S2ki
Old 08-31-2009 | 02:32 PM
15 Year Member

As it is right now, I will call a job search agency on thursday (when they told me to call). they think they have an interview that they can line up for me.

I will keep you all posted

Quick Reply: Gilly needs a job!