New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Gave the guys a little scare at the autcross today

Old 04-25-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I started out on the Hoosiers and was having a heck of a time controlling the car in the wet. I just couldn't get it to hook up at all. My first run was in the 46+ second range.

Second run, Jeff, Jen (Jeff's daughter), Chris and Dave all got out before me and got a damp run compared to the downpour I had to run in. I slid the car sideways after hitting V-tec and took down some cones.

For the last run, I put the S02s on and found much better grip. I was reluctant to push too hard, not knowing how much I could trust the grip on the wet pavement. I figured that I was so far behind the other guys, that I decided to just use this run as a learning experience. In the slalom at the finish I knocked over a cone and wasn't too concerned about it until I saw the time...41.9 seconds! If it weren't for the 2 second penalty for the cone, I would have won the class. Doh!

I think Jeff had the fastest clean run at 43.5 seconds. Unfortunately there were some scoring issues and the results weren't available when I left, so I don't know where anyone else finished. (including myself.)

I was so busy with the Novice program, that I only got a brief chance to talk to Jeff and Chris and never saw Dave. Hopefully I'll have more time to hang with you guys in the future.

I think I counted 6 S2000s and 8 drivers at the event, nice turnout!

Note to Jeff...did you see the plate I left you for your hitch? I forgot to tell you that I left it on the pavement next to your car. Hope you saw it and picked it up.

OK-- so I spelled autocross wrong. Can't believe I'm not allowed to edit the title.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't have changed into street tires because I would have thought they'd just be slower. Man, was I wrong! This also helps sell me on keeping S02s on the car rather than somewhat cheaper tires. I get about the same life out of any of them so...

I saw something black (looked like a piece of magnetic material upside down) near my crap but never looked at it. I thought it might have been my daughter's since it didn't look like anything I had. Crap - I bet no one picked it up. I'll ask Jen, just in case.

I'll try to get a few pics up today...
Old 04-26-2004, 04:02 AM

Outstanding!
Give em hell Mark, give em hell...
Old 04-26-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the whole day's experience was umm, interesting. I too was very surprised that full tread victos were so much worse than street tires. The SM guys were dropping like 4 seconds going from full tread victos to street tires. I guess it all depends on how much water your dealing with. Now I'm really wishing my street wheels were BS legal for possible future wet use. My front victos are at their half life so my car would only turn with too much throttle, but then of course it would really really turn lol. I was esctatic to get my 44.9 lol.

Its funny that we started out the season dealing with exactly the same conditions as we ended with last year. Felt like I was having flashbacks....
Old 04-26-2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by s2kfun
Yeah, the whole day's experience was umm, interesting. I too was very surprised that full tread victos were so much worse than street tires. The SM guys were dropping like 4 seconds going from full tread victos to street tires. <snip>
Its funny that we started out the season dealing with exactly the same conditions as we ended with last year. Felt like I was having flashbacks....
Different region, but the exact same results: In the Glen Region Eric N took first place in BStock with his "all season" tires. Those of us on Victoracers and Hoosiers looked as though we were ice racing. It was an STX car riding on the class required street tires which took FTD (and PAX). Oh well, there's always the next event...
Old 04-26-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Testut
Different region, but the exact same results: In the Glen Region Eric N took first place in BStock with his "all season" tires.
Sorry Skip, I don't mean to laugh, but this is damn funny...
Old 04-26-2004, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
Old 04-26-2004, 07:58 AM

Wow, we Upstaters have some weird rules
- visiting friends buy beers
- winners buy beers

As I'm staying home and don't do a lot of autox events, looks like my beers are going to be free for a while...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Chris wrote "The SM guys were dropping like 4 seconds going from full tread victos to street tires."

HeHe...did you happen to notice who I was parked with? Where do you think I got the idea to change tires?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:46 PM

EDIT: Watta pain! The site isn't rendering these right. I'll hafta see if I can make 'em smaller or something so they display.

2nd edit - lessee if these pics work better.

A few pics:

Chris (s2kfun) getting squirrelly

Dave (daveg27)

Me (jguerdat)

Mark (conedodger)

Jason Weir

Coulda been worse...

Formula V roostertails

Pointy end in the rear

Karl Scheible (VW New Beetle rally car star) in his new toy

Quick Reply: Gave the guys a little scare at the autcross today