New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Garmin GPS?

Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2,Mar 22 2010, 07:04 AM
I've set it up to not irritate me.
Too bad they dont have a Japanese accent for you yet
I'm thinking I need to buy the 255W today
Then you can help me learn how to use it on Saturday
I'm ok with $139, I was originally thinking I would pay up to $180-$200 for a GPS
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have an issue with refurbished. From my experience in retail, I learned that refurbished is usually a unit that did not work out of the box, or the packaging was damaged and un saleable. The item goes back to the manufacturer where they do any repairs/updates and a complete checkout before being sold as refurbished. You do run the risk that there may be some slight cosmetic issues.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 22 2010, 08:37 AM
I'm ok with $139, I was originally thinking I would pay up to $180-$200 for a GPS
Or wait, and check out my refurbished one and you may decide it is worth the $40 savings.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait...Road trip to Long Island is this weekend, and maybe Flint Michigan next weekend.

More than happy to spend a tad more, get it now, and have less of a chance of an issue, not all of us are cut out to be Mr. Deals.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 22 2010, 07:37 AM
I'll definitely help, but trust me these units are so intuitive you wont even need to read the instruction manual and will have figured out how to use it
Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 22 2010, 07:52 AM
Can't wait...Road trip to Long Island is this weekend, and maybe Flint Michigan next weekend.
You going to see Michael Moore to get him to do a documentary on how Honda is disappointing you

Whats in Flint, if you dont mind me prying
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I had "where am I" - sounds like a great idea and worth a little more for that model.

They are SUPER easy to use Doug, you'll have no problems at all.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:13 AM

As for the map updates, it's not so much that new roads pop up that frequently. It's more modifications to existing roads.

For example, the recently added exit 15B on 390S in Henrietta that takes you directly to Brighton Henrietta Town Line Road.

Also, the modifications they did on E. Henrietta Rd, near Brighton Henrietta Town Line Road, Clay Road, etc.

I saw some of those changes make it into my newest GPS map. Now if you're unfamiliar with this area, it'll confuse the heck out of you when your outdated map guides you the long way around instead of using these new additions.

Map updates also cover new subdivisions that gets built, and those pop up all the time.

Oh wait, thought of one more! Map updates also updates businesses. Imagine letting the GPS take you to a restaurant / gas station only to find out it's no longer there, etc...
Old 03-22-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 3,206 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Doug, a GPS is a great little travel tool. We would not travel without one after having one. They are great for getting from point A to point B. They are great for finding hotels and restaurants when you are traveling. FWIW, if you don't keep it updated, you may find a restaurant, hotel or gas station has closed.

Just a couple of hints. They aren't perfect. I know you are a map guy, so take a look at the maps first. The GPS may not send you on the roads you prefer to travel. When we head south, we set a way/via point for another town so that we can avoid travel on highways we don't care for. The GPS will get you there, but if you don't want to travel through NYC, you need to plan in advance.

Also, check the navigation settings and be sure you don't have too many avoidances. If you do, you'll never get there.

Avoid dirt roads is the only one we have set on a regular basis. If we have time to kill we set it to avoid highways.

One time coming back from VA, we had it set to avoid highways. The GPS recognized one route as a highway and it took us an extra 2 1/2 hours travel time to get to our overnight stop. When we got home, Rick used Map quest and Google maps, their routes would have saved us time. Lesson learned.

It's an amazing tool, but keep your maps handy.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 AM

I can't agree more with Lainey! It's not perfect. I always set my GPS to take me via the fastest route. That may take me to a road I don't prefer to drive on.

For long trips, I will use Google maps to set way points into the GPS so I'm not depending on the GPS to take me completely from point A to B. I'll set many points in between into the GPS.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS?