New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Garmin GPS?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Whatever model GPS you buy, make sure you buy a friction mount for when you put it in your car. This way the GPS stays in your line of sight on the dashboard and is not mounted on the windshield. Also my experience with windshield mounts is not good. It almost always loses suction and falls down an hour into the drive and may I add it is dangerous when you are at 70 MPH to reach down and pick up your GPS

Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 19 2010, 03:15 PM
Your generosity always blows me away, thanks, I'll tuck that idea into the back of my head

What model NUVI do you have???
Good question I always forget. Its a 300 something and has been discontinued.

I believe its this one

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=31655

The sleek, portable nüvi 350 is a GPS navigator, traveler’s reference and digital entertainment system, all in one. It is your pocket-sized personal travel assistant ready for adventure. Like the rest of the nüvi 300-series, you’re just a few screen taps away from anywhere.

Navigate With Ease
nüvi 350 comes ready to go right out of the box with preloaded City Navigator® NT street maps, including a hefty points of interest (POIs) database with hotels, restaurants, fuel, ATMs and more. Simply touch the color screen to enter a destination, and nüvi takes you there with 2-D or 3-D maps and turn-by-turn voice directions. It even announces the name of exits and streets so you never have to take your eyes off the road. In addition, nüvi 350 accepts custom points of interest (POIs), such as school zones and safety cameras and lets you set proximity alerts to warn you of upcoming POIs. The European version even includes a preloaded safety camera database containing the location of safety cameras for parts of Europe.

Add Traffic Alerts
Avoid traffic jams with the addition of an optional FM TMC traffic receiver and traffic services. By adding these to your nüvi, you are notified of accidents or road construction ahead on your route. Simply touch the screen to view traffic details or recalculate your route to avoid traffic.

Take It With You
Like the rest of the nüvi series, nüvi 350 sports a sleek, slim design and fits comfortably in your pocket or purse. Its rechargeable lithium-ion battery makes it convenient for navigation by car or foot.

Go Beyond Navigation
Navigation is just the beginning. nüvi 350 includes many “must have” entertainment and travel tools including MP3 player, audio book player (subscription to Audible.com required), JPEG picture viewer, world travel clock with time zones, currency converter, measurement converter, calculator and more. It also comes with Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature, and is compatible with our free Garmin Garage where you can download custom vehicles that show your location on the map. Enhance your travel experience with optional plug-in SD cards such as Garmin Travel Guides for detailed data on attractions.
oh! and need I say, this unit I have is better than anything else I've seen or used. It was a gift from my BIL who never buys anything without thorough research, and to this day I've never found it wanting in any way.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 19 2010, 01:04 PM
No, not set on Garmin at all really
I guess my confusion is mostly based upon the sheer volume of units that are available
How the helll do I know what to get?

It has to have US & Can maps
It has to have map upload/update capabilities
It can't be wider than 5" or so
It has to plug into a car power outlet and not be directly wired in
It would be nice if it could remember where I drove on a particular route
It would be awesome if it could be also run on just batteries
It has to have a volume setting as I'm not going to listen to the silly thing chat
It has to be able to tell me how to get to someplace after I enter a street adress
It has to give me a new route after I miss a turn

Am I missing something?
Doug, I have the Garmin 255w. It can do all these things you want. I highly recommend a wide screen model. When it comes to navigation, the bigger screen the better, IMHO.

And yes, you do want to purchase the map update. Garmin's lifetime update comes out about 4 times a year. Remember though, the lifetime update is locked against a GPS' serial #, so you can only use it on one GPS. I don't think you can transfer it to another GPS.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Mar 19 2010, 03:19 PM
Whatever model GPS you buy, make sure you buy a friction mount for when you put it in your car. This way the GPS stays in your line of sight on the dashboard and is not mounted on the windshield. Also my experience with windshield mounts is not good. It almost always loses suction and falls down an hour into the drive and may I add it is dangerous when you are at 70 MPH to reach down and pick up your GPS

I've never had any problems with the suction cup mount that came with my 255w. It's a lot better than the suction cup mount for my Valentine 1 radar detector.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ John, that friction mount is heavy and does not move around in most cars. Even regular driving in the S, the friction mount does not move around. Only when cornering hard in the S do I get it to move.

I've had bad experiences with two suction mounts I've had and thats when I decided to get this. They'd always keep falling off. Also windshield suction mounts are not legal in some states. I know that at one time CA had a law saying you could not mount a suction mount on your windshield. Dont know what other states. Let me just say that I get my moneys worth for the friction mount considering the sad experience I've had with the suction crap.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diskoe,Mar 19 2010, 03:47 PM
Doug, I have the Garmin 255w.

And yes, you do want to purchase the map update. Garmin's lifetime update comes out about 4 times a year. Remember though, the lifetime update is locked against a GPS' serial #, so you can only use it on one GPS. I don't think you can transfer it to another GPS.
Here is the 255w

Interesting comment about the lifetime map upgrade

Can you buy a unit and then get the map upgrade for it at a later time?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes you can. When you buy any Garmin and register the unit on Garmin's site, you get one free update, so your map is totally up to date. After that, it's up to you when you want to purchase additional updates - either individually or getting the lifetime updates.

Individual updates are totally not worth it. Buying 2 individual map updates is the same cost as the lifetime unlimited updates.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM

When you have the lifetime update for your GPS, just make sure you don't break, loose, or let the GPS get stolen. I typically take it (and the suction cup mount) off my windshield if I'm at a place I'm un-sure about - as far as safety. It's pretty quick to do.

In order to purchase map updates for it, you'll need an USB cable, sold separately, to connect the thing to your computer. You'll need the USB cable to do firmware updates too. Also, the USB cable is needed if you use Google Maps to send locations to your GPS.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEW UNIT- Garmin nüvi 255W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator
List Price: $219.99
Price: $137.10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015EWMX...4ETZQP43PZAF4GN
Old 03-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,Mar 19 2010, 03:25 PM

oh! and need I say, this unit I have is better than anything else I've seen or used. It was a gift from my BIL who never buys anything without thorough research, and to this day I've never found it wanting in any way.

FTR we have both you mention and the built in one in Rose's cCRV blows away any Garmin hands down.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS?