New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Autocross at RIT Sunday

Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Autocross at RIT Sunday

If you are bored and looking for something to do, come out to RIT Sunday. I'll be there trying to beat the Evil Evo. I'm sure Jeff G. will be there as well. Maybe Brent?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday with Mike DeTurck (mpd47) codriving. Should be interesting on these crappy tires that Stu had on the car. They're well on their way out though, so within a couple events, I'll be on a proper street tire.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I'll be there. Gotta love it - pump up the tires and go racing. That's the way stock oughta be.

Even on street tires I'll be comparing my times with Mark. I'm hoping to stay within 1 second - we'll see how good these Potenza RE-01R tires REALLY are...
Old 05-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Had some trouble today, but started to get the hang of things. It was a very short course and I was having issues staying in the powerband. Should have held 1st longer.

I'm looking forward the the course tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:50 PM

Slept in instead of autocrossing it today. Aparently Mike did a great job on shit tires. Should make for an interesting season of me trying to emulate him!

I'm really unhappy with how the day ended. We (Mike and I) let another friend of ours take the car on a fun run and he went WAY over the line - 8-10 cones (with cone marks and likely scratches :bang, safety steward "tallking to", probably lots of drivetrain and tire abuse...not a story I wanted to hear after a hard day of schoolwork.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=brent_strong,May 14 2006, 04:50 PM] I'm really unhappy with how the day ended.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:06 PM

I struggled all day Sunday. Not sure what my problem was. The course was tough on the S2000s and Type Rs. We found ourselves between gears. Needed more than 1st, but couldn't stretch out 2nd. The only good news is that the Corvette and the Evo swapped finishing positions, so neither has a huge advantage on me. I do need to get in the game soon to challenge them for year end.

I was standing next to a safety steward during the fun runs and he was telling me how he didn't like them and we should do away with them before things get out of hand. That was seconds before Mike and Brent's friend went out for a run in Brent's S. The safety steward pointed and said "there's a perfect example of why I don't like fun runs."
Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM

Brent--

Mike and I were talking about the tire situation. Part of the problem with your car is that the aftermarket rear tires are 225s. You may have read about it already, but to keep the factory stagger, you need to put 245s on the back when you replace those tires. It'll make it more balanced, less oversteer. Look into the alignment too. The S is notorious for alignment issues from the factory.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I know the sizes are wrong. I'm assuming that the dealer who sold Stu the car just put on some cheap tires in the indicated sizes. I'm still deciding what to put on next, but it will certainly be a LOT stickier and significantly wider.

Any suggestions on places to get an alignment? I know Ekstens does great work, but they're terrible to get into quickly.

What about specs? Stick to the UK alignment spec or should I go with more neg camber and maybe slight toe out in the front? I assume I'd be better off with slight toe-in on the rear, since IIRC, the suspension geometry changes when the spring compresses and increases toe-out in the rear (bumpsteer).
Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the new Potenza RE01R in the only sizes they offer for 16" - 205/55 and 225/50. Interesting to compare them with the stock S02s - the fronts are significantly wider than any 205 I know of and the rears are only mildly narrower than the OEM 225. There's less stagger overall than the S02s but better than most other combinations. A front swaybar would still help - I had my Comptech on full stiff and had some oversteer issues (would that have anything to do with being on street tires and my driving? Nah...). Cheaper (slightly) than the S02s.

I've used Ekstens and Holtz Acura for alignments. Just ask for the slip afterwards so you can verify the settings. The UK specs are fine for light-duty work but you probably want more front negative camber for R compound tires. I didn't align this year but I've got -1.5* camber front with 0.0" total toe (to prevent burning out the inside of the street tires in 1000 miles) and -2.0* camber rear with ~1/8" total toe in (might explain some of my tail-happiness since that was for use with the 265 rear tires last year). That means I have 1/2 degree more front camber than the UK specs and a bit less rear toe-in. The autocross tires wore very evenly but the all-season streets I used last year as winter tires have definite inside wear - I'll have to flip the fronts before installing them this fall.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Autocross at RIT Sunday