New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Auto-X Camp out on 8/20

Old 08-21-2005 | 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew! What a day! pics are up at http://solopix.flr-scca.com/2005/8-21-05/ if yer interested (lots of exposure issues today with clouds and changing sun). I've got originals that are untouched if you want them.

What a rollercoaster of emotions. I sucked for most of the day while Mark (Conedodger) and the Schoonmakers in the C4 walked away from me. They were running ~88 seconds while I was back in the 91s. My 3rd run I decided to get more aggressive (I'm not used to the speeds and loads available on a large course) and blew it all over the place but realized there was time to be had. The 4th run was damned miraculous and dropped me to 88.6 which gave me 3rd instead of like 5th or 6th.

It was good meeting Nick after all the conversations. Sorry we didn't get to talk cameras but you seemed to have a grip on that - it was the web stuff that was yer problem. I use the free Web Album Generator found at http://www.ornj.net/ and basically use defaults (I add a home page link and use 800x600) and then just upload the files generated to the web site. Just fyi, I use the highest resolution but the higher compression level on the 10D which allows the camera to store the images faster (smaller so less data to transfer to the card but I do try to get the faster cards rather than the cheapest ones to maximize transfer speeds). I use a 1GB Kingston Elite Pro card which easily holds all the images from an event.

I also use a Canon 70-200mm "L" lens but need to add reach for events like today's so I can get useful images further away. Good lenses make up for a lot and I try to maximize cost vs. quality which means no brand loyalty. I also have a new Tokina 12-24mm zoom to cover the wide arena and a mediocre 24-85mm consumer lens to flesh out the capabilities. With a digital camera flare is a real concern so lens hoods are a must. I used a circular polarizer for the first time today to minimize reflections but I need to get a handle on exposure compensation with this camera so thing like clouds don't putz with the finished products.

Again, good to meet ya and your daughter (Bid Bitch??)..
Old 08-22-2005 | 03:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Yesterday was great! Good weather, fast challenging course. I was having cone trouble all day. My last run was my only clean run, but enough to squeak by Jeff. Top three cars in AS were 3/10ths of a second apart and now only 1 point separates us for the year end championship!

Great to meet Nick and his daughter. I forgot to ask...how was the camp out?

I saw Dave's name in the results for only 1 run. Didn't see him there. What's the story?
Old 08-22-2005 | 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it was great to meet you all execpt you kicked my arss. Back to full stiff and a max -camber alignment job. You should come to the glen event on 9/17, a Saturday on the "big runway" again. So you can tune up some more, beat that vett, and give me some more schooling. Camping out was great, had lots of room and clean restrooms. Rained most of night but still got to sleep. Need a college level course on how to handle images. Need your e-mails so I can send the trunk monkey photos.
Old 08-22-2005 | 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was contemplating the 9/17 event but I have a hot air balloon ride scheduled for that day. Never done one before so unless they reschedule for wind/weather considerations I won't be able to attend. Maybe Mark and the Schoonmakers will show up...

My email address is jguerdat at rochester dot rr dot com. BTW, I emailed a 12MB file of images this morning and Road Runner didn't complain. Maybe they upped the send limit?