New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Auto-X Camp out on 8/20

Old 07-29-2005 | 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-X Camp out on 8/20

Finger lakes Region is hosting an auto-x on the big runway on 8/21. Sampson State park is right across the street with 300+campsites. Cost per site is $16. Our region is comming up to get in an Out of Region points event and to use the BIG runway. This will also be our first overnight bonding effort. So bring your tents, adult beverages, marshmellows, & I'll keep the camp fire burnning for you.
Reccomend you Pre-register with FLR for the auto-x. Sampson State Park # is 315 585 6392. If you are camping at the park just look for cars with numbers on them to find us. Please put your numbers on once you get inside th park so we can tell who is with the SCCA.
Old 08-01-2005 | 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I likely won't be camping (it's <1 hour drive from Rachacha) but will be there as will, I'm sure, Mark (Conedodger). Dave has disappeared for a while - don't know what he's up to although he made a strong showing at the last event he came to. And, as always, we'll have the smooth and fast C4 of Alan Schoonmaker and son Adam (Adam has had faster times than Dad lately but keeps hitting cones). The ringer may be the M3 of Scott Moller who took 2nd at the SEAD event a couple of weeks ago (I sucked big-time).

AS has been hot this year so let's have a good showing!
Old 08-15-2005 | 05:41 AM

Looking forward to this event, will pre register today. Camping out will be a little late, hope to set up camp by 8pm.
Old 08-16-2005 | 05:53 AM

VERY extended forecast is for at least some rain on Sunday. Hopefully it will be only a little and scattered...

Or wrong.
Old 08-16-2005 | 01:37 PM

From the "unfriendly" FLR Solo mail list:

You had to ask didn't you...well here is the low down:

FLR SeAD Event August 16, 2005
Chairs: DSP and your friendly neighborhood Cleatus

Course Setup will be Saturday at 12:00 (noon) at the site

Schedule for sunday:
We are returning to the way things are.
-Run Work Rest aka NO HEATS
-Worker Change on the Fly
-Registration Open 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM
-Tech Open When Carl and Jim Get to the site till 9:15-9:30

We will have 2 shuttles running constantly through the day leaving
every 25-30 minutes but walking will be involved.

Driver's meeting at 9:35
Novice meeting at 9:00 (novices must be present at Driver's Meeting)
First Car Off at 10 AM- even if i have to run down those on course

Run Schedule
Group B runs Group A works
Group C runs Group B works
Group D runs Group C works
Group A runs Group D works

Course map will be posted either late tonight (8-16) or tomorrow..some
of us have final projects that needed to be finished

SeAD is a WNY OOR event so expect that usual cast of characters other
regions i do not remember off the top of my head.

We are hoping for a smooth event so competitors please help make it so.

Cleatus
Old 08-17-2005 | 05:24 AM

We have 5 camping out so far due to early start time. How many runs could we expect?
Old 08-18-2005 | 04:56 AM

Minimum of 4. We tried some stuff last time by running heats and that really slowed down the overall throughput. I haven't heard the number of pre-registered entrants yet so I have no idea how many will attend, however it's an OOR event for both you and WNY so that will bump numbers. We normally have >100 entrants so we're used to the size. Work changes will be on-the-fly so the event will continue (mostly) uninterrupted. Barring rain or other major problems I'd expect to get 5 runs in. Times will probably be in the 70+ second range - L-O-N-G. At least 2 cars on course at a time but I doubt 3 since it's long and relatively narrow (runway). Speeds look like they should be up there...
Old 08-18-2005 | 06:05 AM

When we ran there with Glen we went off runway and into plane parking area to make a hugh loop. Tons of room even if its all on the runway. Looking forward to it. Expect 4-10 drivers from SNYR. We are small and growing slowly. Just lost our NASCAR 1/2 mile track and only have BCC site. Hope we can find new site by next year. Amazed at your photo galleries. Let me know how you do it.
Old 08-18-2005 | 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nickfromny,Aug 18 2005, 10:05 AM
When we ran there with Glen we went off runway and into plane parking area to make a hugh loop. Tons of room even if its all on the runway. Looking forward to it. Expect 4-10 drivers from SNYR. We are small and growing slowly. Just lost our NASCAR 1/2 mile track and only have BCC site. Hope we can find new site by next year. Amazed at your photo galleries. Let me know how you do it.
Here's the course map:

I do the pictures with a Canon 10D digital camera and a 70-200mm zoom lens (usually at 200mm). I try to pick a corner where I hope to see action (i.e. sliding and spins). Of course, most folks won't help out so all I get are what you see. I shoot sequences, usually 3-5 images per person but will hold the button down to fill the buffer (9 images) if I catch action. I'll be shooting Sunday so I can demonstrate...
Old 08-19-2005 | 07:33 AM

Wow I have not seen that many cones in a long time. Looks like a nasty turnaround & you will need focus at the finish. Just thru out my 1987 EOS and got a 20d need to learn lots on the how to manage all the photos. I'll bring it with me so I can learn from a master.

Quick Reply: Auto-X Camp out on 8/20