New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid

Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy
Aashish, I also run the DOT 4 Motul 600 as most of whom have replied do, Be warned once you go to DOT 4 do not revert back to DOT 3. Is Motul or any good brake fluid overkill well yes and no. But I would rather have brake fluid be overkill than not be able to stop when I need to.
What?

Ok, you can switch back and forth between DOT3 and DOT4. As long as it's accompanied with a good flush, there should be no problem. DOT4 is essentially a premium DOT3. FFS.

And, for the record, unless you're driving like a f@#king idiot, you won't see enough heat into your pads on the street to need DOT4. The higher boiling point of DOT4 only comes into affect when you've put enough heat into the brakes to have to worry about brake fade - something that definitely won't happen unless you're driving the Dragon (which is 11 miles of retarded amounts of hard braking) or on a VERY spirited drive (and even then, DOT4 is overkill). You won't see any difference in pedal feel until you've boiled the fluid, which again, takes a lot of hard braking.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks
What?

Ok, you can switch back and forth between DOT3 and DOT4. As long as it's accompanied with a good flush, there should be no problem. DOT4 is essentially a premium DOT3. FFS.

And, for the record, unless you're driving like a f@#king idiot, you won't see enough heat into your pads on the street to need DOT4. The higher boiling point of DOT4 only comes into affect when you've put enough heat into the brakes to have to worry about brake fade - something that definitely won't happen unless you're driving the Dragon (which is 11 miles of retarded amounts of hard braking) or on a VERY spirited drive (and even then, DOT4 is overkill). You won't see any difference in pedal feel until you've boiled the fluid, which again, takes a lot of hard braking.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Motul 600 synthetic? Hence my comment don't go back to DOT 3, now from a non synthetic Dot 4 back to DOT 3 with a proper flush yes but not from synthetic to regular.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still wrong. All DOT3, DOT4, and DOT5.1 fluids are compatible. That's why there's a specific DOT label and specifications. The only fluid that doesn't mix is DOT5, because it's silicone based and will cause issues.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely be going DOT4.

Wanted to ask about ATE Super Blue as I thought one of you may be using it. As stated in the introductory post, most of my driving will be standard driving around town or on trips and group drives. It appears that Motul or Castrol would be good enough for my needs.

Thanks again all.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Been using Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3&4 for years. Easy to get locally. Inexpensive. Works just fine for street/autocross.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run ATE fluid. They come in both blue and gold but are otherwise 100% equivalent. This makes my flushes easier because I can see when the old fluid is gone and the new stuff is full in my lines. The dual color stuff makes a flush a piece of cake and is the primary reason I run ATE.

It's been great for 5 dragons and HPDE. Each year at the Dragon someone boils their OEM fluid and is sidelined at Deals Gap. I've never had an issue even when running the Dragon back and forth for hours.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That is good to know Mike. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, by 5 dragons, do you mean 5 trips consecutively on the dragon or 5 trips from Mass to there and back home?

Thanks for the suggestion as well Cone Mark.

It really boils down to how much spirited driving I'll be doing. Last summer I drove the S a little less than 3k miles a few of which may have been spirited. Common sense would dictate that I stick with Motul, Castrol or Valvoline, but I may just give the ATE a shot if doing any HPDE's this year.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
That is good to know Mike. Thank you.

Just out of curiosity, by 5 dragons, do you mean 5 trips consecutively on the dragon or 5 trips from Mass to there and back home?

Thanks for the suggestion as well Cone Mark.

It really boils down to how much spirited driving I'll be doing. Last summer I drove the S a little less than 3k miles a few of which may have been spirited. Common sense would dictate that I stick with Motul, Castrol or Valvoline, but I may just give the ATE a shot if doing any HPDE's this year.
5 Dragons means 5 trips from Massachusetts to TN and back. When I am there I run the road back and forth 10-15 times a day. I probably have 75-100 down and back runs on the Dragon by now.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
5 Dragons means 5 trips from Massachusetts to TN and back. When I am there I run the road back and forth 10-15 times a day. I probably have 75-100 down and back runs on the Dragon by now.
very cool. Thanks for sharing that info. This ATE Super Blue seems like a great brake fluid based on your experience.

Quick Reply: ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid