New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Anyone with a Hard Dog Bar I Can Measure?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a Hard Dog Bar I Can Measure?

I'd like to make roll bar so I can do some DE's at the Glen with the either the PCA or BMW clubs. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'd like to make a Hard Dog clone as I understand it fits well with either the soft top or the OEM hardtop (which I have). Ideally one out of the car would be fabulous, though one in car and w/o the rear interior reinstalled should work. It doesn't matter what Hard Dog variant it is (i.e. double diag., single diag., harness bar location, etc...).

Is there anybody out there, preferably in WNY, NW PA, or even central NY that would allow me to stop by and take some key measurements? I most certainly will bring some Buffalo fare (wings or beef on weck) and Canadian liquid (Molsons or Labatts) for you to enjoy while I take measurements!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 391 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
I'd like to make roll bar so I can do some DE's at the Glen with the either the PCA or BMW clubs. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'd like to make a Hard Dog clone as I understand it fits well with either the soft top or the OEM hardtop (which I have). Ideally one out of the car would be fabulous, though one in car and w/o the rear interior reinstalled should work. It doesn't matter what Hard Dog variant it is (i.e. double diag., single diag., harness bar location, etc...).

Is there anybody out there, preferably in WNY, NW PA, or even central NY that would allow me to stop by and take some key measurements? I most certainly will bring some Buffalo fare (wings or beef on weck) and Canadian liquid (Molsons or Labatts) for you to enjoy while I take measurements!

Thanks,

Mike
Jeff (Fasting) has a Harddog. Contact him to see if he's amenable to your request.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably not going to get any good results as mine's bolted in and for the most part,covered up.
I'm just too busy with other projects to take the car apart for access for the measurements.
I'm sorry...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to take a very long drive I have mine sitting in the box still, but I'm located in central MA.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Hard dog is about $650 shipped IIRC. you'll have a couple hundred in DOM tubing and a bit of time involved in building one. Hard dog comes SCCA approved, i would think it'd just be worth it to just buy one for that price. just my 2cents
Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks Jeff...fully understood...I want to make this easy for anyone willing to let me come take measurements.

Mongo84...thanks very much for the offer!. A tad far for me (350 miles one way) to make a one purpose trip...but I may take you up on the offer as I do get out that way every so often. Where are you relative to Worchester? When are you planning to install it?

jsenclosures...I hear ya...I'm blessed to have accumulated a number of business and personal friends that would make a fab project like this relatively straightforward and inexpensive. But I agree, just buying a HD and installing it is appealing.

Anyone else out there with a Hard Dog?

Mike
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM

I'm in Albany. Fully gutted rear with welded single-diagonal and welded lower harness bar harddog. Still have softtop in, too.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Thanks Jeff...fully understood...I want to make this easy for anyone willing to let me come take measurements.

Mongo84...thanks very much for the offer!. A tad far for me (350 miles one way) to make a one purpose trip...but I may take you up on the offer as I do get out that way every so often. Where are you relative to Worchester? When are you planning to install it?

jsenclosures...I hear ya...I'm blessed to have accumulated a number of business and personal friends that would make a fab project like this relatively straightforward and inexpensive. But I agree, just buying a HD and installing it is appealing.

Anyone else out there with a Hard Dog?

Mike
I will most likely be installing this weekend or next, the car is gutted and no soft top so you should still be able to get decent measurements. I am right next door to Worcester!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Suspension and Mongo84....thanks. Much appreciated. You guys are great.

Bar out that Mongo84 has is ideal as the most info needed can be traced easily laying the bar down on a table with tracing paper in between.

Mongo84...would you be willing to trace the main hoop and rear diagonals onto some paper and then take a couple measurements? I'd mail you everything you'd need....a tube containing in 2 6' long X 3' wide rolls of paper and a nice diagram showing the several measurements needed. I'll even send you a tape measure you can keep I'll also include a self addressed, postage paid envelope to return the tracings and diagram w/ the measurements.

If this is ok, let me know if the bar is the single or double half diagonals. And does it have any of these options: correctly positioned harness bar...clips for remounting the 3 pt seat belts...or a bulkhead replacement bar. Then I can make sure I send you a proper diagram as well as some pieces of cardboard to trace anything special.

FYI, in case you didn't see this short video on youtube, I found it most helpful to show where and how to cut the fenderwell to insert the backer plates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMbRHiSwdaw

Mike
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Too late sorry!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Hard Dog Bar I Can Measure?