New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Am I Nuts? Need Help!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

A first for me! Pulled the engine on the MG with the help of my friend Glen. Took about 6 1/2 hours. Pretty simple job really - we were just a little slow. Project reveals that I need better tools. Took off the clutch. It looked pretty good, so maybe its the thruster bearing that's worn. Have to investigate. Wore surgical gloves so my hands are still pretty clean.

Trying to get my racing "outfit". Called C2 Racing in San Diego yesterday and they are supposedly putting together a couple of packages for me (I hope).

Haven't called Ian Prout yet.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^^ Your racing outfit have your team decals on it That will be fun

That sounded like fun Jeff. Wish I could have seen you do that. So now that the clutch seems clean, you still looking at tires and an exhaust, isn't it?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 AM

57 days to get the car track ready.

I have the engine out, but find that I can't get a competition clutch for an MGA. Decided I have to try to put in an MGB clutch. First need a front transmission cover, clutch release arm and bearing pivot from an early MGB transmission. A guy in Maryland was supposed to scavange and send those parts - but I guess the donor transmission is burried in snow. Once those parts are received, need to order a clutch and then get the "spare" flywheel lightened and converted to the MGB clutch setup.

After much research and soul searching, finally decided on what tires to order. Couldn't afford the Dunlops I wanted (about $325 each), so will be getting Verdestein Sprint Classics at $109 each. Hope they don't run me into a wall. Reminder: Keep life insurance payments up to date.

Still need to get helmet, fireproof suit ect. and new safety harness. Bankruptcy court looms in my future!

Got to decide if there is something wrong with the right front wheel hub. That tire was worn down to the cord. Seems to be a little too much play.

Ordered a small glass pack muffler from JC Whitney. 3" diameter, 12" body and 18" total length. Have to quiet the car down or I'll be black flagged at Lime Rock. But the car is too noisy for me to hear myself think in any event.

My friend wants to modify the engine for me while it is out. He has thoroughly studied the problem and has obtained engineered drawings from England. With a little creative Dremel tool grinding on the engine block, he says he can convert the engine from 1800cc to a 1600cc. He promises that the car will be more "stock" that way. He's been a member of the club for 25 years, so I assume he knows what he is talking about! A bunch of lying _astards if you ask me!

Prior owner said the car ran mid pack, but with my horsepower robbing modifications, added weight, the not-so-good tires and my driving prowess, I expect the car to run dead last. My only hope is that the guy with the 2 cylinder Morgan shows up to race. I think I can beat him.

Hope it warms up soon so I can get into the barn to do some of the work.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Feb 12 2010, 11:49 AM
Prior owner said the car ran mid pack, but with my horsepower robbing modifications, added weight, the not-so-good tires and my driving prowess, I expect the car to run dead last. My only hope is that the guy with the 2 cylinder Morgan shows up to race. I think I can beat him.

Hope it warms up soon so I can get into the barn to do some of the work.
Jeff good luck with the work on the car. You've got to factor in the cost of doing a HPDE (track school) in your S as well.

As Doug would say, the car does not matter, its the driver. If you have not been on track or received instruction I'd highly recommend an HPDE program in your S. Knowing you, Im sure you will be mid-pack or better. Now did you get a chance to e-mail Ian Prout as yet
Old 02-12-2010, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE]Now did you get a chance to e-mail Ian Prout as yet
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ Hey! Jeff

1. I like your new Avatar.

2. Dont let disgruntled see my latest post on the home page

3. The CO has not been around these parts, so I guess Disgruntled is safe for now

4. Its not me that's acting special. Its my alter ego News Editor thats acting all fancy. I need to keep him in check just like you have Disgruntled to take care off.

5. I can e-mail Ian Prout for you. Infact I think I will
Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=blueosprey90,Feb 12 2010, 02:33 PM]
No, I've been spending too much time as a real estate consultant and trying to keep Disgruntled Publicus from writing diatribes.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Wonder what happened to my good friend Disgruntled? I hope he made it back home in one piece from Lincoln Pond
Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Disgruntled and I spent the week-end working on the MGA.

After extensive study of my tire problem, I finally ordered Vredestein radials with a speed rating of 135 to replace the Hoosier racing tires. Could not afford the Dunlop bias ply racing tires. So I spent some time ferrying my wheels back and forth to the tire shop to swap out the Hoosiers for the Vredesteins. The center hole on three of the wheels needed to be enlarged, so I spent lots of time hand filing and got two opened up to more or less the right size. I had to hand file because I couldn't find a rotary file that worked for my drill. So now my shoulders hurt pretty good.

Disgruntled and my friend wanted my engine to be more "stock" so they converted it from 1800cc to 1600cc. Of course, I didn't want to know anything about this modification, but here is a before and after picture.

Disgruntled claims that number won't be noticeable in the car since it will be hidden by the engine mount. We'll see if he is right or if I will be banned for life.

Now that the tires arrived, I thought I should evaluate why the front right tire had become so worn and why it had an unusual wear pattern. When I took that tire off, the wheel had some wobble that was not present on the opposite side. So I pulled the wheel apart and found that I had a broken outer wheel bearing. We couldn't get that out of the hub, but my friend will try to put it on a press tomorrow to remove it. My personal problem was that the inner bearing was frozen onto the wheel spindle.

It took me quite a while to find a way to get it off. Happily I met with success so I am ordering new bearings tomorrow.

This morning, I found a box on the porch evidencing that with my 2nd hand parts from an MBG transmission had arrived from Snowmeggdon. Now I have to use these to replace the front transmission plate and throw out arm for the clutch

so that I can convert to an MGB competition clutch. I will be ordering those parts as well. I'll need to modify the flywheel to accomodate the MGB clutch, but once that is done, I can start the rebuild. I'm sure my friend will help.

Aashish, thanks for the information on Watkins Glen. I forwarded it on to my 2 sons-in-law to see if they wanted to come. Don't think so since they think I'm crazy, but if they came, this would give us one activity where we can all start out on a level playing field.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ Looks like you got quite a bit of work done over the weekend Jeff

Never realized it was that easy reducing the engine displacement

I definitely think you should come to the school at WGI. Once you've done it you will feel more confident driving your MG A on track.

Quick Reply: Am I Nuts? Need Help!