New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Am I Nuts? Need Help!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Money pit? damm that thing looks like its ready to race right now!
Car needs new seatbelts, tires and a maybe a clutch. If I get the vintage Dunlop racing tires (Not!) they are about $1,200 for a set. And I might be in for some surprises since I wasn't really able to drive the car before purchase. Plus the car has an open exhaust that I may want to muffle. Even if the bearings were screaming, I couldn't hear them!

Then I need: helmet, fireproof suit, fireproof shoes, gloves.

Then a trailer to haul it with, then driving school and then I can spring for the entry fee for my first event.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^^ I bought my helmet from here.
http://www.racerwholesale.com/product_info...roducts_id=4291
They also sell other racing stuff. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks friend.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Dec 31 2009, 05:11 PM
Jeff I think you need to make this pic your Avatar. Or you could get a pic of yourself in your team racing gear your daughter gave you.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:25 PM

I think in either case it would be a major overstatement and would show me in a false light. Hell, I may flunk out of driver's school!

No I think my avatar (if I could figure out how to do one) should show me trying to climb into the senior van in front of the chronic care nursing facility.

Especially since I got yelled at by Doug today, I have to keep a low profile and not draw any attention to myself. I think I'm on probation - the double secret kind.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ Poor Doug. We drive him to exasperation . But trust me, he is a good egg and we could not have had a better CO

That aside I've reduced the images posted above, so you can upload either of them as your avatar. Should you choose you can have one as your avatar and the other in your signature.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Any updates on the MG A Jeff. Been a while since you visited the forum. Hope all is well
Old 01-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Oh no Aashish, I'm fine. I've been lurking, but haven't had much of anything intelligent to add to the conversation. But I was the first to comment on your article! So that should count for something. Maybe I can become a byline

Thanks for the reduced sized photos. I'll try to figure out how to post as an avatar.

I borrowed a 12' trailer to haul it up from Pa, but the trailer had no running lights. I wanted to fix that as a thank you for the guy who lent it to me. I thought he had a ground problem because the side lights were smashed, so I replaced those; but he must have had a break in his main wire so I ended up replacing the wiring harness. So this turned out to be an all day job on my back last Saturday.

Otherwise I started to look over the car pretty carefully and tried to figure out what work needs to be done.

I definitely need a new seat belt harness, new tires and to run at Lime Rock, a muffler of some sort. So far the tires are the greatest mystery. The car has a pretty good set of Hoosier's but my group doesn't allow them because they are "too sticky". The vintage bias ply are about $275 each, vintage radials are about $100 each. I'm a little afraid to run radials because I understand that once they let go on a curve, it is hard to recover and you end up with a spin out. But cost may rule the day.

I'm also spending a lot of time looking for a trailer. The VSCCA driver's school is April 11 & 12. I'm in on Watkins Glen, now just need to find a hotel.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ I noticed you were the first to comment. Thanks Jeff.

Is the VSCCA driver's school at Watkins Glen on the 11th & 12th. Im thinking of signing up for the SCDA school later that month which will be on the 26th & 27th.

I know Lime Rock has a restriction of 89 dba for cars but I'm sure there is a fix out there for that. Do you know how loud your current exhaust note is?

Maybe you can look in the marketplace section here (unless you already have) for a trailer.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 AM

No, I think the VSCCA driver school will be at/on the Pocono North Course. I'd be interested in doing the SCDA school at Watkins with you - but I may have a few companions who also would want to do it. Where can I get the details?

Quick Reply: Am I Nuts? Need Help!