New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Am I Nuts? Need Help!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

[QUOTE=blueosprey90,Oct 22 2009, 12:21 PM] Aashish, the Lime Rock track is 1.53 miles.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Would you be willing to drive the S at Watkins Glen with the SCDA school? I'm going for sure and Ellen and Chris (AllWorldLax) have plans of showing up as well.
Aashish, Sure, I'll go. Next spring? (Hi to JJ. Is she coming?) Of course, I followed your on-line first track day exploits this earlier summer (thereby expecting you to be able to keep up on the subsequent B & B for L drive)! What kept me back from a track day so far was concerns about an SCCA compliant roll bar which Lime Rock, for example, requires. And anyway, until you lobbied to have me accepted into Upstate, I was just a lurker here. And I'm not worried about being everybody's passing practice on the track - just about getting rear ended!

Don't worry Headchef about my hurting myself just yet. The more immediate problem is the financial wall I'll hit if I'm stupid enough to go this route. But that being said, I'll probably go down to look at the car this weekend, then go to the VSCCA meeting the following weekend and try to get some advice and input from them. (After looking me over, they may mandate that I go to flag & fire school, thereby insuring that I keep off the track. ) And if I do buy the car, it may turn out to be a 2 year project by the time I get to a driver's school (although Skip Barber's is right here) and have the money to buy all the protective gear needed to get onto the track, etc.

And Triple H, I appreciate your comments since you're the one who actually knows what your talking about. My wife is in your camp! Recognizing that I probably have neither nerve nor talent, I could end up blowing a lot of money. But, I'm not so worried about wrecking the car because of agressive racing with the VSCCA boys. With them, it seems that the cars are the show, not the driving. And I think I can get this supposedly "race ready" car for under $15,000, something I'm not so sure I could do if the economy ever picks up. The worst case scenario seems to be that I end up putting the car back up for sale and losing a few thousand bucks on the purchase (unless of course I go Chris' dad's route and blow the engine!)

So having said all of this, who's going to be the first to certify that I need to check myself into an asylum?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ Jeff. Its still to early to say if JJ will be coming, but it will be terrific if we have several Upstate members together (it may be the incentive she needs to decide). From what I know Lime Rock will not allow a convertible but SCDA allows the S2000 to run at Watkins Glen without a roll bar. So you can drive your car without mods on the track. Just make sure you have your car prepped prior to track day and that should do.

and NO you don't need to check yourself into an asylum You are one of the funnest (pardon the expression) people to hang out with ever.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Headchef,Oct 22 2009, 03:44 PM
Jeff, don't go into the wall yet- I haven't had a chance to meet you!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ You guys should come to the next Black & Blue drive for Levi that Jeff will organize next season
Old 10-23-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm told that I should be figuring future alimony payments into the overall cost of this venture!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ You should talk Nancy into signing up for driving school. Once she gets hooked, I'm sure she'll be a more eager partner in crime for the MG A venture
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Aashish, The trouble is that my Nancy is kind of a scary drivers as it is. Her vision isn't too good so she's always accelerating when I'd be braking.

On top of that she doesn't really "get" cars, or anything else in which I have an interest. We're the perfect couple. Like while I'm reading "Modern Welding", she's reading Soren Kierkegaard. According to my primary source, "Kierkegaard For Dummies", he says things like this:

"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both. "

Doesn't this mean I'm screwed either way?"
Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^^ All I'll say Jeff (about your spousal dynamic) is that "like poles repel and unlike poles attract"

I believe any choice in life has a few cons and therefore one will always ask himself the question - What if?
As long as you refrain from asking yourself that your mind is free and you are gold

BTW, I had to google Kierkegaard

Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Off to see the car at crack of dawn tomorrow. Will report back!

Quick Reply: Am I Nuts? Need Help!