New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Where are your favorite cruising spots?

Old 05-07-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are your favorite cruising spots?

Hey Folks,

I was just wondering where everyone likes to take their S2K's for both those "clear your mind / take in the scenery" cruises and for those "I think I can drift here / Initial D" jaunts... locally that is.

For me, those cheap thrills "Initial D" moments are always satiated on the back roads in Nyack near the Nyack College area. Plenty of winding roads, almost zero stop signs, road surfaces are smooth, and the twisting asphalt is laid on a hilly surface. Since most of those back roads do not run through residential areas, you can get pretty decent stints that last for about 3 to 5 minutes to test your heel~toe skills.

For longer cruises to "clear my mind", I enjoy going up the Saw Mill to the Mount Kisco area and driving around that Reader's Digest area. I find the Saw Mill to be a fun Parkway... lots of curves and dips. I find the streets in the Mount Kisco area to be quaint, putting me at ease to not stomp on the gas. Best part is that you can end your drive with a decent meal at Lexington Square Cafe.

What about the rest of you S2K NYC Metro Area drivers? Where do you take your S2K when in the need for speed and for those lazy Sunday-driver moments?

Bryan
Old 05-07-2003, 07:28 AM

Across the GWB to the Harlem River Drive downtown to the Village to get a falafel ! Yum !

I also like to cruise the Henry Hudson up to the Hutch to the Meritt Parkway to Greenwich for some French Pastires.

It's a really nice curvy ride and unlike the Saw Mill , there are no lights.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:55 AM

Yeah SeaDoXPL... The Henry Hudson is a decent run. My fav part of the Henry Hudson is when going north past the GWB towards the tolls near Riverdale. That mile or so stretch of road is nice and twisty and the surface is smooth. I also like that part going south, but going south, you will 9 out of 10 times run into some punk looking to race... a decent run against someone is always fun, but these guys are usually dirty racers. But driving south, you get that awesome view of the GWB all lit-up (that bridge is beautiful with the lights forecasting from inside the girders). Best time to hit that spot (north or south) is at night post midnight.

Actually for a super quick fix (I'm talking 30 seconds of street-bred adrenaline), there is a road that connects River Road (Edgewater) and Lemoine Ave (Fort Lee). I'm not sure of the road's name, but it sits on an incline with the Fort Lee end ending in an S-turn and the Edgewater end ending in a stretch of road that is about a 1/4 mile (maybe a bit longer). In between sits two decent hair-pins and a double lane straight stretch (again about 1/4 mile or so). But that road gets crowded during the day, so you can only hit it hard at night.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:34 AM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

Old Montauk Highway
Old 05-07-2003, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gomifune
[B]Yeah SeaDoXPL... The Henry Hudson is a decent run.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the tip... anytime I have taken that road in Edgewater during the day, I usually see a police cruiser at the first hairpin closest to the Edgewater side, but I have never seen one at night. Next time I decide to hit that road I'll look before leaping...
Old 05-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Sussex Turnpike from Randolph to Succasunna when there is no traffic (or police).

Route 24 from I-287 to I-78 Newark Airport. When traffic is moving. Fun to go fast and change lanes.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Route 24 from I-287 to I-78 Newark Airport. When traffic is moving. Fun to go fast and change lanes.
Be careful thats ticket alley. I believe local cops not state troopers patrol that area of 24. Guess it all depends on the time of day.

I really like route 94 past vernon. Mt. Holland road connecting Sparta to vernon. Also the International business center in Mt. Olive! Very few cops and after hours it is empty. But I have been pull over by BASF security for doing over 100 mph.........HAHAHAHAAHAHA ...They just told me to get lost.....Dam Germans!
Jealous...The place is huge .....you can do laps just like an f-1 course......awesome. Only after hours! 8:00pm and above. Also the back entrance to the Holland tunnel.......Way down on route 280 there is a stretch where There is sorta a tunnel that goes for almost a mile......awesome exhaust sounds. Spits ya out at the entrance of the Holland tunnel. Route 21 north of Newark .......empty highway with lots of mini tunnels
and actually some nice scenery.....For a while ya crank right by a river.....ends up
hitting route 80 around paterson about a ten mile stretch....Watch for cops late at night ya get a lot of cruisers heading in and out of Newark for street racing.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,160 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ItalianBucwheat
[B]
Old 05-08-2003, 05:58 AM

Wow ItalianBucwheat, the business center in Mt. Olive... that one sounds like fun. I've often thought that places like that would make for great mini-circuit racing. Anytime I've ever driven on the outer-ring at the Garden State Plaza Mall, I always think to myself, "Someone should sponsor mini-circuit racing here because the mall is closed in the evenings and Sundays". Lots of curves, smooth asphalt, and plenty of short straights.

Quick Reply: Where are your favorite cruising spots?