New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Where to take driving lessons?

Old 09-27-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which one offers an actual track? Because I don't really like solo 2, I hate cones
Old 09-27-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of them do - I wasn't suggesting any autox because to me it doesn't offer enough seat time or any instruction. I like Pocono over Lime Rock/Summit because it's a huge place. (they have several road courses that use part of the oval and part of the infield)

And it's so wide open that it's much less intimidating for newbies.

It's also pretty convenient to the tri-state area.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 PM

I disagree a bit. HPDE may be cheaper but it serves a much different purpose than a driving school.
I've done HPDE with NASA and found their classroom instruction was weak.
The first class session was a review of the flags and the rest of the sessions ended up being Q&A/chat about the prior session on the track.
I've done HDPE with SCDA and found their class sessions more informative.
But the focus of both of these organizations (IMO) is to get you on the track with your car in a safe manner.
One of these days I plan to take a Skip Barber course where the focus of the course is understanding vehicle dynamics & behavior. Practicing slides & recoveries. Threshold ("panic") braking, lane-toss exercises & accident avoidance.
I think HPDE has it's place and I don't mean to knock it but they don't have you practice these things, they 'tell' you about them. Experience is one of the best teachers and in one of these courses you can gain that experience in a controlled situation.

On another note.......another problem with Lime Rock is they wont let the S2000 on the track without an aftermarket roll bar or the factory hardtop.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Yeah - that is definitely true - but I was able to have a good discussion with my instructor throughout the day about these things. He/I didn't specifically name these things properly like a driving school would but we certainly discussed them - trail braking (not for me!), getting the car to rotate, slow in, fast out etc.

I would say I have pretty decent experience overall w/ most vehicle dynamics - perhaps other don't. So then a driving school would be a good idea for many prior to going to a track day - it would prepare you to get the most from your track day.

If I had to choose between the two though I'd say the track day might be better - just don't be the group one guy who totals his car - that is just not smart to push that hard at that experience level.
(EVO at Summit this weekend was group one I think - and I hope the instructor is OK)
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Then will it make more sense to do HPDE and then Skip Barber afterwards?

I haven't taken any performance driving schools before and have only drove on the streets, which really don't mean a whole lot in terms of experience.

Also, from your experiences, what is the first thing that "goes" first besides the brake pads? When I say go, it doesn't just mean wearing out, but also what's the biggest weakness you found on a stock S2K on the track (are the brakes powerfule enough? Excessive oversteer? etc)
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 PM

Thats what I was asking Dave - I'd say do the driving school first if you can afford it - it'll teach you more about the actual mechanics of driving - which may really aid your track day experience. A little costly but any time spent driving fast legally is FUN FUN FUN!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ks320,Sep 27 2005, 08:57 PM
Then will it make more sense to do HPDE and then Skip Barber afterwards?

I haven't taken any performance driving schools before and have only drove on the streets, which really don't mean a whole lot in terms of experience.

Also, from your experiences, what is the first thing that "goes" first besides the brake pads? When I say go, it doesn't just mean wearing out, but also what's the biggest weakness you found on a stock S2K on the track (are the brakes powerfule enough? Excessive oversteer? etc)
If you have the money, a full blown driving school is probably the best bet. Especially considering that you're beating on their cars and not your own.

Never drove a S2000 with stock everything (learned my lesson long ago) but with upgraded pads and brake fluid, it's fine. The only thing would like is a far more aggressive/threshold like ABS. I didn't find my AP1 on the excessive side on oversteer. A bit twitchy perhaps compared to other cars I've been in but more than manageable. Remember, the driver can control the oversteer aspect of any car.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

first thing it should go is your ego.

The path I'd take is, go to this fall colors. instructor (or more experienced driver) will seat with you and show you the line. It helps great deal. that will start get you going. then take a class. after that, take HPDE. then take more classes.