New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Where in NJ is it safe for an S?

Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw,Apr 7 2006, 11:42 AM
52nd and Park? Dude, you need to move to Westchester. Like you, I moved from Manhattan to NJ looking for more land and a safer place to park my cars. After dealing with the commute from Edgewater/Ft Lee for a few years (bus, ferry, A train) I grew tired of the commute.

Moved up to Westchester last year and I love it here. If you live near a MTA stop (hudson, harlem and new haven lines), your commute can be cake.

I work on 48th and Park, literally upstairs from Grand Central. From Dobbs Ferry, it took me 25 minutes door to door. We recently moved up to the Scarborough station and now my commute is exactly 45 minutes door to door. One train, two stops, always a seat, no traffic, no buses, no overcrowded subways.. you really cant beat that!

But there is one downside to Westchester... It's damn expensive. Your dollar won't go as far here as it would out in Jersey, and if youre looking for a garage, chances are youre going to have to buy a townhouse or a house which equals more $$.
I don't plan to buy a home (yet), since I'm still single and don't plan to get married any time soon (I'm only 24). So I'm more into the rental market at the moment (especially 2br to share with my buddy, with a new GTI), and West Chester probably may be outta the range for the moment?

How about Jersey City (I originally thought oNJ because of the 3% tax that I can save by moving there ...)? I have only heard very mixed opinions about it, some say it's great while others say it's a little unsafe for an S. The commute doesn't look too bad (going to PATH, then switching to V in subway), at least a little betted compared to some of the other places in NJ. I really liked Clifton and Edgewater when I saw them (I the feeling of living somewhere less metro like Manhattan), but it felt like the everyday commute to the east side can get a little rough, especially when I live @ 53rd/7th now, and it's only a 15min walk to work -- rain or shine ...
Old 04-08-2006, 01:03 PM

dude, westchester is nice. if you want to rent, where MistaSnipes lives is a cool apartment complex. 2 br, 2 baths rent for like 1300 bucks. only downside is that there's no garage and parking is outside, but you do get a space.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ks320,Apr 8 2006, 03:07 PM
I don't plan to buy a home (yet), since I'm still single and don't plan to get married any time soon (I'm only 24). So I'm more into the rental market at the moment (especially 2br to share with my buddy, with a new GTI), and West Chester probably may be outta the range for the moment?

How about Jersey City (I originally thought oNJ because of the 3% tax that I can save by moving there ...)? I have only heard very mixed opinions about it, some say it's great while others say it's a little unsafe for an S. The commute doesn't look too bad (going to PATH, then switching to V in subway), at least a little betted compared to some of the other places in NJ. I really liked Clifton and Edgewater when I saw them (I the feeling of living somewhere less metro like Manhattan), but it felt like the everyday commute to the east side can get a little rough, especially when I live @ 53rd/7th now, and it's only a 15min walk to work -- rain or shine ...
Jersey city is good as long as you are on the water. Other sections of Jersey city are horrible. You'll know that you're in a good section when you see the rent price
Old 04-09-2006, 05:17 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, stay away from the Journal Square area of Jersey City. It may be an up and coming area, but there are no garages and the current residents arent exactly ideal.

It's also one of the 'stolen car capital world' portions of Jersey (Newark, JC).
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you drive through Jersey city and your lucky you come out the other side with your seats and wheels
Old 04-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Apr 5 2006, 09:47 PM

Hijacking for a second....

I was looking in Long Island, and nothing I liked was remotely near 1 mill. Tiny lots, ok neighborhoods at best..... While in Jersey, I found houses that were stunning....MASSIVE lots (talking acres) and quiet. Here is a pic of the one I am crossing my fingers to get.....

Sitting on 4 acres!!!

Good luck!
4 acres :eek1 if that is in Bergen county that house would cost around 5-6 mil easy.. want to play got to pay.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

come to flemington! its like 45 minutes to metro park but its beauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful. hunterdon county, thats where its at!!!!