New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Where in NJ is it safe for an S?

Old 04-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clifton and Bloomfield depends on which parts. I know the north end of bloomfield is really nice but the other end is....meh

Little Falls is ok, I leave my car running with the top down for hours. Just because I start my car to go somewhere but then I decide not to go and forget to shut the car off lol.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ... thanks for the list! I'll take a look at them.

Question is what can you afford? You thinking of buying or renting?
I'm looking to rent, at least for another 1 or 2 years. If I were to buy a house now, I would have to put every single dime I have into the downpayment (and might still be a little short). Housing prices look a little high at the moment. I personally don't see them tanking, but I also don't feel they have a lot of upside left.

In the mean time, I'm just hoping my investments work out. I'm hoping to find something in the 2200 to 2600 range for a 2-bedroom ... I don't need a ginormous place yet, since I'm still single. I don't really mind if it's sub-urban-like either -- not too big of a metro area fan myself. In fact these high rises are kinda driving me nuts ...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions ...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Apr 5 2006, 10:17 PM
I think monmouth county is the most sought (sp?) out county to live in NJ (as well as the most expensive to live in as of now) I believe.

Its safe over here but to get an arce of land expect to spend well over a million. Land doesn't come cheap around here but the area is nice with little crime if any really.
I believe there are still a number of counties that are more expensive than Monmouth county (Somerset, Morris, and Bergen to name a few). Also, an acre of land in almost any part of NJ is going to be well over a million. There are many small townhouses alone going for a million. I think it's all just crazy.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 AM

^^^ Yep... Bergen COunty is actually the most sought after in NJ. Simple homes go for well over a mill...and these are starter homes I've been in the market to purchase a new house for the past 2yrs and just can't see myself paying that much for a measly ranch house. Sucks.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tinton Falls/Ocean/Red Bank/Shrewsbury is nice. I live in Tinton Falls, I have 2 train stations within 5-10 minutes from me, 1 more 15 minutes away. Also have easy access to busses going into the city. You can rent a 2 bedroom condo in the 1500-2500 range, depending on size etc.

I bought my little 2 bedroom condo 2 years ago. Nice enough area.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
bkw

52nd and Park? Dude, you need to move to Westchester. Like you, I moved from Manhattan to NJ looking for more land and a safer place to park my cars. After dealing with the commute from Edgewater/Ft Lee for a few years (bus, ferry, A train) I grew tired of the commute.

Moved up to Westchester last year and I love it here. If you live near a MTA stop (hudson, harlem and new haven lines), your commute can be cake.

I work on 48th and Park, literally upstairs from Grand Central. From Dobbs Ferry, it took me 25 minutes door to door. We recently moved up to the Scarborough station and now my commute is exactly 45 minutes door to door. One train, two stops, always a seat, no traffic, no buses, no overcrowded subways.. you really cant beat that!

But there is one downside to Westchester... It's damn expensive. Your dollar won't go as far here as it would out in Jersey, and if youre looking for a garage, chances are youre going to have to buy a townhouse or a house which equals more $$.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:31 PM

^^ Hey BKW, what type of dollars are we looking at for a starter home with garage?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:55 PM
bkw

Totally depends where you want to live. The cheapest I've seen for a 2br townhouse with a 1 car garage was about $440k in northern Ossining. It wasnt in the greatest of areas, but nothing like Yonkers or Mt Vernon.

We recently bought our place for a little more than that further south and while the location may be ideal, it's tiny. 2 br, 1500 sq ft, 3 floors, 1 car garage, end unit on a cul-de-sac in a private community. If I make a left out of our complex, I'm looking at multi-million dollar homes. If I make a right, I have to lock my car doors. I'm within walking distance to the train station (when I make that left), blue ribbon schools (killer taxes), so it's perfect for the next 5-7 years as our family grows.

If youre willing to go a bit further north, mid level home prices generally level out at around $500k, but you get much more square footage, and if youre lucky, a single family house. But then you're probably getting a bit too close to Indian Point, or your commute to midtown would exceed that 1 hour threshold.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Good thread for me, as i am too moving to NJ (but only in October after gettin married)

I know property there is ALOT more than what its going for here in CT, however lately not by much. Seems the Ct market is getting close to what homes down in NJ go for.
To make a long story short, my fiancee lives and goes to school in North Jersey, so we want to stay semi-local to work/school. We are actually looking around the Jersey City,Hoboken,Union area as well as its still a close ride to a train station as we love going to NYC And i will most likey be working in Elizabeth/Newark area

Garage is def a must ! And i become a Metro-er
Old 04-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iamhomin,Apr 6 2006, 04:35 PM
Clifton is definitely nice, especially by haddenfield st near clifton ave (near montclair state university).

Montclair is nice, extremely nice in certain areas.

Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Edgewater are also pleasant areas to live in, though it's getting quite crowded.
Well Haddenfield is closer to broad than clifton ave -- plus clifton ave goes towards the not so well parts of Clifton too are you from Clifton?

Quick Reply: Where in NJ is it safe for an S?