New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Where is a good place to stay in Midtown NY?

Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is a good place to stay in Midtown NY?

Hey everyone, long time no talk

The girlfriend and I are planning a trip to NYC for a few days and we need some help with hotels and parking. Most places we have been looking at provide valet parking for 24 hour periods, but the rates seem pretty steep to me. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on where to stay that is nice and won't break the bank, but is also convenient?

So far we're looking into...

http://www.themusehotel.com/ (my choice)

http://www.chambershotel.com/ (her choice)

Ideally I'd like to be around the 200$ a night option since we're staying for 3 nights (but this price is reasonable. Nothing more than 300$ a night though). We want to visit the MOMA, MET, 5th Ave, Times Square and Central Park just to name a few places so you can somewhat gauge the area we need to stay around. I've never been to NY for more than several hours, so my concept of direction around there is minimal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks everyone
Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would strongly suggest that if you must bring your car up to park it and not drive it again until you leave. The traffic in the area can be horrendous, and everything you are looking at is basically within walking distance so a car is not necessary. As far as rates go, you will be floating in the $300 mark for a decent hotel per night. Thats if you don't mind living in half way houses where you share a bathroom and have zero personal space.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g6...y_New_York.html

I recommend this place. It is near transportation and its not overly congested. It is on the east side right under the Grand Central Terminal. This hotel is within walking distance to Times Square, the UN, 5th Avenue, 6th Avenue, ETC. Its a greatly renovated hotel and is easily accessible by mass transit. Price wise i'm not sure how it will fair out but it may as well be in the $350 range.

Like I said, most will be around that range, some you may find cheaper than others but will float in that area.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE=bungholio,Oct 8 2010, 08:22 PM] I would strongly suggest that if you must bring your car up to park it and not drive it again until you leave.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Theres plenty of Affinity Hotels in the area that can be had at a bargain. Search around on Expedia or Hotels.com. Affinity Shelbourne is another hotel I recommend. Its about 4 blocks south of Grand Central Terminal, a block away from the other one I recommended and is pretty nice and newly renovated.

I will do some searching and get back to you tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember well, you were very low and had that spoon front end, if you care about it at all, do not bring it into Manhattan.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM

I drive the S in Manhattan slammed all day, just need to be careful and watch the buses and cabs.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Frank, Hit me up when you get to NY. If I can find time, I can get you in most of the museums in NY for free. Just have to make time.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM

hm.. doubled post...
Old 10-09-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try the Roosevelt Hotel... (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...york-99-a.html) ...you have to read the first page. I think "tweet" is the current discount code. Decent reviews and a great location.

Don't know if your going to party like a rock-star but if you don't plan on staying out all night, you might consider W Hoboken ($247/nt) or Westin Jersey City ($186/nt). People will say it is an inconvenience, and it is, but you just have to jump on the PATH to get to mid-town or down-town and your set to go. Plus the view is pretty spectacular. In a pinch, a taxi to the hotel shouldn't break the bank.

You can also look in Brooklyn or Queens. Again, more than likely you'll need to take the subway to get where you are going, so it is just another couple of stops and it opens up some additional properties in your budget.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by r3en,Oct 8 2010, 10:57 PM
Frank, Hit me up when you get to NY. If I can find time, I can get you in most of the museums in NY for free. Just have to make time.
Will do, thank you. MOMA is definitely on our list as well as the MET.

Quick Reply: Where is a good place to stay in Midtown NY?