New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

The Unemployed Thread

Old 06-09-2009 | 06:18 AM

Default The Unemployed Thread

I have personally been out or work for ~6 months and have seen a number of post recently about people either being laid off, or having hours cut.

At the same time, many people continue to work and companies are hiring. The outplacement firm I'm working with has people landing new jobs almost daily.

However, one statistic that is holding true is most (+90%) jobs landed are via a personal referral or networking. The days of applying on a web-site, and landing a job, are long gone. It happens but not often.

I though it might be useful to start a thread of people who are out of work, or underemployed and see if the board can generate any job leads, referrals or networking opportunities.

I'll start . . .

Name: Michael/RUGBY

Professional Experience: 20+ years with JPMorgan holding a variety of control and operational jobs in diverse areas including international and corporate controller organizations, middle-office special projects, corporate business continuity and core infrastructure PMO and project manager.

Seeking: Internal control / compliance role in medium to large corporation. Open to all industries. North NJ or NYC preferred.

Resume/Referrences available.
Old 06-09-2009 | 06:39 AM

Good idea.

My company is always hiring. If I see anything for anyone on here I'll let them know.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:13 AM

I was given notice last monday, and joined the ranks of the unemployed. I'm an Architect w/ over 25 yrs of experience in all types of projects and am registered in NYS.
I can do small projects or help w/ planning/ program analysis or any 2D CAD drawings, shop drawings, site visits/ analysis, etc.
Thanks all for any tips and thanks Mike for starting this thread.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:24 AM

My company is looking for an Electrical Engineer with experience in RF/Microwave design. I realize it's not an easy order to fill since RF/Microwave is sort of a niche business and we are picky about who we hire.
A DoD clearance is a plus.

Can't promise an interview but I can submit a resume' for someone.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:29 AM

for those who are unemployed.

when you lost your job what did you do about health insurance.

this is a serious concern for myself if i were to lose my job.

thanks
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:42 AM

New Obama legislation requires the company to pick-up 65% (gov't will reimburse) of your coverage for nine months, which should help.
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dex9,Jun 9 2009, 11:42 AM
New Obama legislation requires the company to pick-up 65% (gov't will reimburse) of your coverage for nine months, which should help.
thats awesome and good to know
Old 06-09-2009 | 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by gofast182,Jun 9 2009, 07:24 AM
My company is looking for an Electrical Engineer with experience in RF/Microwave design. I realize it's not an easy order to fill since RF/Microwave is sort of a niche business and we are picky about who we hire.
A DoD clearance is a plus.

Can't promise an interview but I can submit a resume' for someone.
Northrop?
Old 06-09-2009 | 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dex9,Jun 9 2009, 10:42 AM

http://www.nj.gov/recovery/programs/cobra.html

As noted, the Obama Stimulus package provides a significant reduction in premiums for COBRA (or NJ Continuation) - - - subject to qualification. I'm sure the COBRA is effective in NY and Conn. However, NJ has a similiar state mandated plan.
Old 06-09-2009 | 08:13 AM
15 Year Member

What if the company goes out of business?

Quick Reply: The Unemployed Thread