New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

UN-Official turbo build thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 04:46 PM

i was going go for a similar setup before i found a used FR manifold. Considering a PFab manifold is basically a full-race manifold upside down, you should make similar power to one. Running stock compression is good if you're not gonna want more power. I will say though that its a drug, and as soon as you get bored of the power (2 weeks or so) you'll start planning on ways to improve. Plan as much upgradabilty as possible. Only buy things once, instead of selling it off at a loss later one. There are many people, myself included that have slowly upgraded, when a simple 'buy the first time' would have been much smarter. Also, try and get as large a wastegate as possible. If you're going to try and run stock compression, you don't want it to boost creep. If the Pfab is anything like the FR one, it loves to boost creep, especially when its at lower boost pressures (more exhaust is being circulated through the wastegate). It would suck to get it on the dyno and find you can't control boost to stay under 10psi. Good luck and post pics, i always love reading build threads!
Old 05-01-2009 | 05:01 PM

yeah we have a lot of turbo cars in metro. We welcome FI people to post in here from other areas of the country for sure. A lot of us are very knowledgable on stuff like this because we have tried pretty much everything. We have every single kit possible aside from a pfab local. 450 isnt enough for us though. Were all high 400's and low to mid 500's all on pump gas. keep this updated and ask us anything you want to know.
Old 05-01-2009 | 07:17 PM

I want to do some drag racing! Want to see how indestructible this R200 really is

*off topic*
Old 05-02-2009 | 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,May 1 2009, 05:46 PM
i was going go for a similar setup before i found a used FR manifold. Considering a PFab manifold is basically a full-race manifold upside down, you should make similar power to one. Running stock compression is good if you're not gonna want more power. I will say though that its a drug, and as soon as you get bored of the power (2 weeks or so) you'll start planning on ways to improve. Plan as much upgradabilty as possible. Only buy things once, instead of selling it off at a loss later one. There are many people, myself included that have slowly upgraded, when a simple 'buy the first time' would have been much smarter. Also, try and get as large a wastegate as possible. If you're going to try and run stock compression, you don't want it to boost creep. If the Pfab is anything like the FR one, it loves to boost creep, especially when its at lower boost pressures (more exhaust is being circulated through the wastegate). It would suck to get it on the dyno and find you can't control boost to stay under 10psi. Good luck and post pics, i always love reading build threads!
I agree with you on the manifold. these are very similar looking manifolds and I thought they would produce about the same numbers.

boost creep you say....? hum..something doesn't sound right. why would full race or Pfab build a setup that would boost creep? I'll have to take a look into this, but my guess would be something in that persons setup thats causing the creep.

Old 05-02-2009 | 09:01 AM

most people who run the EL manifolds tend to run higher boost levels and they dont creep on higher boost levels.
Old 05-02-2009 | 09:02 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enthralled,May 2 2009, 12:34 PM
I agree with you on the manifold. these are very similar looking manifolds and I thought they would produce about the same numbers.

boost creep you say....? hum..something doesn't sound right. why would full race or Pfab build a setup that would boost creep? I'll have to take a look into this, but my guess would be something in that persons setup thats causing the creep.
well the problem is fthese manifolds are so efficient that they are meant to be run at higher psi. 14+ atleast.
it is an inherent flaw that these manifolds will boost creep slightly. especially in the winter. search the FI section for full race or pfab boost creep. there have been a few threads on it.
Old 05-02-2009 | 09:12 AM

nice setup, ours is pretty much identical except I plan on usuing a 3bar
Old 05-02-2009 | 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546,May 2 2009, 10:02 AM
well the problem is fthese manifolds are so efficient that they are meant to be run at higher psi. 14+ atleast.
it is an inherent flaw that these manifolds will boost creep slightly. especially in the winter. search the FI section for full race or pfab boost creep. there have been a few threads on it.
I understand what you guys are saying, but I still think it has something to do with that persons setup. i'll look into this and get back to you all.
Old 05-02-2009 | 04:45 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enthralled,May 2 2009, 08:33 PM
I understand what you guys are saying, but I still think it has something to do with that persons setup. i'll look into this and get back to you all.
search for the thread. there is more than just one person who had boost creep.
Old 05-02-2009 | 06:28 PM

Low pressure = creep

The wastegate simply won't flow well enough.

Quick Reply: UN-Official turbo build thread