New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Ticket Question

Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlstyle82,Oct 1 2006, 05:21 PM
i heard pre-bargaining is over?
Not sure about NJ, but in SI, i didn't even get a chance to talk to prosecutor, straight talk to judge.

I should've hired a attorney, because now i'm left out with 4 points on my license.
Every state, and often juridictions within states are different .. Staten Island is part of the NYS TVB system where there are no deals and have not been since approx. 1975 ... this is not necessarily so elsewhere.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AZWILDCATS,Oct 1 2006, 03:44 PM
I wonder how this will affect me if I have an Arizona license.
Phoenix 602-255-0072
Tucson 520-629-9808
elsewhere in Arizona 800-251-5866

call them and ask them if points will transfer from NJ to your Arizona license.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Defender,Oct 1 2006, 05:14 PM
Phoenix 602-255-0072
Tucson 520-629-9808
elsewhere in Arizona 800-251-5866

call them and ask them if points will transfer from NJ to your Arizona license.
Great idea! Thanks!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AZWILDCATS,Oct 1 2006, 03:03 PM
Great idea! Thanks!
Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:51 PM

If you have arizona license, and arizona insurance, and it doesn't transfer, then just pay the ticket and forget it.

Insurance will not go up.

If it does transfer points, NJ law allows you to amend tickets to Unsafe Driver Twice every 4 years. Unsafe Driver will amend points to 0, but will be about 200 - 250 fee. You do not need lawyer for that as everyone can talk to prosecutor there. It's not strict like in NY. And 2 points tickets almost everytime, they allow you to use Unsafe Driver. If it was a 4 point ticket, then it would be a different story.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:21 PM

I got a ticket for careless driving a few years ago for taking a turn too fast, got pulled over 200 yards from my house. When I went to court since the ticket had a mandatory appearance, the judge asked me if I thought that I was guilty. I said no, but I wanted to plead guilty just to get it over with. He said that I could not plead guilty out of convenience and that another court date would be scheduled so the cop would be present. I didn't notify the court in time stating that I would be pleading guilty or not, so the cop was not present. I showed up on the second date, talked to the prosecutor and he said that he would charge me with an improper (unsafe) operation of a motor vehicle violation, $250 fine, but no points. Plead guilty to the lesser charge, paid my fine and I was out. No lawyers. It would have been a $150 fine, but it was my second time to court with plea bargain for no points.

If you do go to court, you better be able to explain your out of state plates and or license. When I was court, there was at least one person fighting their ticket for not registering or transferring their license within 2 weeks of moving to the garden state.

I wish you good luck.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow be careful!
This guy cut you a break allready... if you go to court i think everyone will wonder why you flew here from AZ just to fight a ticket... think about it and be careful, don't make trouble for yourself.

i speed all the time and relize it has risks, you take your chances and pay your fines. Last ticket i got the cop said he finally caught me and thought i was doing 90 something, he wrote me up for 74 in 65, a small two pointer! Truth is i was doing around 105 and racing a guy. I could have fought it under the premise of 74 in a 65 is kind of a BS ticket but i appreciated the break.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 AM

I do not intend on fighting it. I was being careless. He cut me a break as is.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:25 AM

in my situation, i got screwed, me and my boys were hanging out at a parking lot, cops usually stop by say wsup n leave, welll the other night we had a rookie come to us and questioned my boy if his car was registered to him n it was jus feeling awkward because we dont get sh*t like that from the other cops, but anyways he tells us 2 leave that parking lot asap!!! so we leave and meet up at a local dunkin donuts n jus chill out there for an hour,when im heading home i bust a U where everyone does i get pulled over a block down maybe like 3 minutes away from my house n when i get ready 2 talk 2 da cop n find out wat i did, it was the rook that kicked us out from the parking lot, in the end i get a ticket for careless drivin ( U Turn) AND ubstruction view ( radar ) cops suck!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ivia12copolo,

Not to offend or anything, but if I was cop and if you talked to me the way you are writing here... I'd have given you a ticket too. Street dialect is the fastest way to get a ticket ANYWHERE for ANYTHING. Talk slow, speak proper english (that stuff they should have taught you in school), be respectful, straighten you hat, and you'd be surprised at well most cops act in those situations.

You always have a few morons, but the DA usually knows who they are after awhile and its fairly easy to get the points knocked down.

On my last ticket I got pulled over for doing 65mph in a 35mph. When I went to court I was dressed for work, dress pants, tie etc. After watching the DA tell the 10 people in front of me their tickets will stand as is, I figured I was screwed. When it was my turn, I asked him "How are you doing today?" . That's it, that's all I said. He looked me over, and said "You weren't doing 65mph were you? It was more like 43?" I said "yes sir, that's how fast I was going".

I've only had two speeding tickets in my life. And both times what I noticed was the DA's lowered fines/points/whatever for people who dressed well. People who came in wearing T-sirts, jeans, etc got the screwed. My grandfather who used to be a lawyer said the DA's and judges are more lient with people who dress properly because they see it as a sign of respect for the court. People who dress like scrubs are treated like scrubs.

Also, cops don't suck. They have the most thankless job ever, its dangerous, the pay isn't all that great, and the hours are long. If you wrap your car around a tree, the first person there is going to be a cop. If a 911 call comes in because your grandfather is having a heart attack... again first person there is usually a cop.

Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Ticket Question