New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Thinking about getting rid of the S2000

Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about getting rid of the S2000

Some of you know me, and some don't, but I have recently been thinking of getting rid of my s2000. I love the car, and there is nothing wrong with it, but I think with my wedding around the corner, and kiddies in the next corner, I think I may need to give up my baby for something a little more practical yet fun.

Those that know my car (clean, has every upgrade that can be done ie. stereo, navi, turbo, wheels, dvd, blah blah blah). On KBB, the value of the STOCK car is $16000 or so. I also don't have the time to waste trying to sell it for the next three years. What do you guys think is a fair price for a car like mine? I know you don't get money on mods, and I WILL NOT part the car out, but I want to sell it as-is, but what do you think everything I have is worth? $2500?

This thread was created for opinions, NOT for sales. Do you guys think I should just trade it in, or should I try and sell it on the forums? Is there a demand for s2k's now? Do people want them? Just wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks for any opinions you guys can offer.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would entertain offers on this site (and others since most people on s2ki already have an s2000) before trading it into the dealer (last resort).
Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Now is a bad time to sell an S due to the season... Its tough selling with those mods but if your super against parting out, I think you will end up taking a bath on it. If you were to part out you may get closer to that mark.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

IMO i think the turbo will hurt you more then it will help your resale. most people that know what their doing don't want a aftermarket boosted car from someone else, they normally wanna boost it themselves. there are many things that go with dealing with a boosted car and no offense but some owners just dont take care of a boosted car like it should be and later on can cause problems. Boosted cars are also normally abused more and more power = more things failing or getting weaker.

you might be able to get your $$ for your wheels and nav and system selling it with the car but the turbo kit its better to take off and sell. Also do a leakdown and compression test so your future buyer is assured your car wasn't harmed from the boost.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM

When you go to trade it in they are going to give you what the book says a S is worth not what you say its worth with all your mods. I am kind of in the same boat as you about thinking of getting rid of the car. I have a kid on the way and the car is far from a family mobile
Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Former Moderator

Those that know me my car is impeccably maintained and is babied. I boosted it for daily driving NOT for racing. Actually, the car probably hit VTEC once in the last 6 months. I have driven it 5000 miles in the past year as well. The turbo is a Greddy turbo, the car was only touched by myself and Billman, and tuned by the best emanage tuner in the east. I have no doubt people we be confident in the car itself.

Next question, even if the dealer won't give me more than blue book, will they even take my car for a trade in???

Thanks for the opinions fellas.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 PM

I don't think you are going to see anywhere near 16k unless you do a part out. Way to tough to sell a 7yr old car thasts been modded for kbb.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Former Moderator

A stock car seems to be worth 17K private and 16K blue book. Are you saying I won't get 16K for a car that is in great condition PLUS 20k in mods? Not arguing, just asking.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Sep 28 2009, 08:10 PM
Next question, even if the dealer won't give me more than blue book, will they even take my car for a trade in???
Phill (S2LEGEND) would probably be the best person to answer that question.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

i say u part it out .... cuz i recently just sold my 2001 s2000 mint with only 36k miles for only 13k on the street ...very hard these days to sell a s2000 especially if its modded ....i took off my wheels lip kit cf hood exhaust whatever i could take out to make it stock .... the dealer was only giving me 9 grand for my car stock .... so i got lucky somebody gave me 13k cash that morning before i traded my car in to bmw ..lol good luck

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting rid of the S2000