New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Tapping into lower rad hose?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Deception,May 3 2010, 03:38 PM] anyone know which switch/pin the AC fan (passenger side) is on for AEM 1052U EMS?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took out my A/C, but I can still press the A/C button and the green light comes on, would pressing this turn onthe other fan?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,May 3 2010, 02:36 PM
The end goal is thunderbolt with 500hp

There will be some big shiney stuff at my doorstep hopefully within the week, pictures to come
ewww wow finally another local booster hitting the road course!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,May 3 2010, 05:53 PM
I took out my A/C, but I can still press the A/C button and the green light comes on, would pressing this turn onthe other fan?
What did you take out exactly? If its just lines and such, I'd imagine the button would still work?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by josserman,May 3 2010, 08:28 PM
ewww wow finally another local booster hitting the road course!
Going to try and work my way up to full out thunderbolt raceway. Start small (etown roadcourse) and make sure my cooling mods keep oil temps within limits before I finally try out that track.

Basically, this is just step 1
Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 AM

What about tapping the radiator hoses and running a bosch water pump to circulate flow so regardless of the thermostat water is always running through the cooler?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering a heat exchanger also, any reason why you choose that one over the type that comes with the Kraftworks kit ?

I wasn't sure how I was going to do it either, but I thought it would be best to have it run from the block this way it would have coolant circulating even if the thermostat was closed.This way it would help bring the oil up to the proper temperature faster too.

I guess ideally it would be nice to have an after market radiator with some connections for the heat exchanger.

That brings me to my next concern about the stock radiator being able to handle the added heat from the exchanger ?!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

Whatup Mike??!!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jacko,May 4 2010, 11:36 AM
I was considering a heat exchanger also, any reason why you choose that one over the type that comes with the Kraftworks kit ?

I wasn't sure how I was going to do it either, but I thought it would be best to have it run from the block this way it would have coolant circulating even if the thermostat was closed.This way it would help bring the oil up to the proper temperature faster too.

I guess ideally it would be nice to have an after market radiator with some connections for the heat exchanger.

That brings me to my next concern about the stock radiator being able to handle the added heat from the exchanger ?!
Actually, it is the same cooler as on the kraftwerks kit only it's twice the size (over 13" long with larger oil and water lines!) and I have larger radiator on order as well along with larger fans.

You brought up my only real concern with tapping into the rad lines, I'm afraid it might never get up to temp unless its warmer out (say 70F+). The lower rad line doesn't get much hotter then about 130F and thats only after the engine is up to 200F.

Seems for now tapping into where the stock "oil cooler" seems best since coolant is always flowing through it, I just wonder how hot that coolant is since it's coming from the engine. I have a water gauge but it's not located there. I also have my turbo plumbed there so I will have to add the heat exchanger before the turbo so the coolant doesn't get too hot before hitting the oil and cooling it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Langelo DeMysterioso,May 4 2010, 12:04 PM
Whatup Mike??!!
Sup partner I hope things are well you with and the Mrs

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,May 4 2010, 12:24 PM
Actually, it is the same cooler as on the kraftwerks kit only it's twice the size (over 13" long with larger oil and water lines!) and I have larger radiator on order as well along with larger fans.

Hey do mind if I ask where you purchased it from and the price you got for the heat exchanger ? Or just a link if you have it.

And yes I agree with you about the lower radiator hose and getting to the appropriate temp.
Because you want the oil to get up to 215 from what I read and what Evans says its just
as bad to have your oil too cool. Actually the only thermostat oil cooler ( radiator style ) I found that goes up to the correct temp was the Canton kit. But after reading
about the exchanger style and how it bring the oil up the temp and cools it I was sold. but now I have to factor in the cost of a bigger radiator too, so that may have to wait.

I wasn't sure if I was going to go before our after the turbo with this exchanger.But now that you mentioned after may defeat the purpose because of the coolant temp at that point. I'm sure my plumbing is the same as yours for the turbo. I was reading that the Lotus Elise guys are removing there heater core and putting the exchanger in its place. I don't know if I'm ready to delete the heat though ... I'm not that hard core besides nothing like a cool night with the top down and heat on IMO... I was considering getting some heated seats one day LOL!!! That would keep the girlfriend happy too.

Quick Reply: Tapping into lower rad hose?