New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Suzuka Blue 2005 S2000 stolen in Forest Hills, New York

Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by COiNS127
some of us know how they do it. Slowing them down is the only thing you can do now
Care to share so we can further protect our cars?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mndthegap1
Originally Posted by COiNS127' timestamp='1355338201' post='22206050
some of us know how they do it. Slowing them down is the only thing you can do now
Care to share so we can further protect our cars?
there are numerous ways it can be done, Tony. It all depends on what security you have on your car. If you cheap out on the alarm and skip on the pager and sensors it's fairly easy with a soft top. Some cars get towed but that is not always the case. I once saw a guy use small pebbles to walk by a car and shatter a window. After the alarm goes off a few times and nobody responds to it he crawled in and within a minute or two bypassed the alarm and drove away. Back in the day it was easy to pull off a key cylinder from the door and make a key then just drive away with it. It's a safe bet to say that many of the thieves are well educated in security and know how to bypass them all. It is just a matter of increasing the risk for them enough to say it will take to long and I will skip this one.

In your case since it sleeps in the garage you can also add security to that and add things that will make noise. When I had a garage in queens I used to jam the door top with wood to not even be able to be opened with a key and also string beer cans near it to make noise when opened.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
there are numerous ways it can be done, Tony. It all depends on what security you have on your car. If you cheap out on the alarm and skip on the pager and sensors it's fairly easy with a soft top. Some cars get towed but that is not always the case. I once saw a guy use small pebbles to walk by a car and shatter a window. After the alarm goes off a few times and nobody responds to it he crawled in and within a minute or two bypassed the alarm and drove away. Back in the day it was easy to pull off a key cylinder from the door and make a key then just drive away with it. It's a safe bet to say that many of the thieves are well educated in security and know how to bypass them all. It is just a matter of increasing the risk for them enough to say it will take to long and I will skip this one.

In your case since it sleeps in the garage you can also add security to that and add things that will make noise. When I had a garage in queens I used to jam the door top with wood to not even be able to be opened with a key and also string beer cans near it to make noise when opened.
Did you call the cops before or after you finished your popcorn?

I couldn't watch something like that go down and not be tempted to put someone in a head lock. As for security, I wouldn't park my car in the street regardless of how many bells and whistles I have. If I go out with the S, she has to be visible at all times. I don't want to be a victim, so I always park in the garage when I'm not using her.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by S2K DRIFTER
Did you call the cops before or after you finished your popcorn?

I couldn't watch something like that go down and not be tempted to put someone in a head lock. As for security, I wouldn't park my car in the street regardless of how many bells and whistles I have. If I go out with the S, she has to be visible at all times. I don't want to be a victim, so I always park in the garage when I'm not using her.
dude this is way before the days of cell phones lol I wouldn't want to play hero either over someone else car much less mine. I think I had one of these on my belt while I was standing on the corner .. lol but someone else did call

Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM

The best way to protect your car is to use ingenuity, think outside of the box, think of less common ways. To protect your car from not being able to start is simple, to prevent it from being towed is a completely different ball game.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc
dude this is way before the days of cell phones lol I wouldn't want to play hero either over someone else car much less mine. I think I had one of these on my belt while I was standing on the corner .. lol but someone else did call

I woulda thrown that brick ^ at the thieves lol

I remember starting a thread a while back regarding wheel locks, not the stud locks but an actual lock for the wheel. Anybody using it on their S? I seen these being used on civics and tegs but do they actually work?

Being that the S is becoming popular to thieves, the local police dept. should set up a little sting or bait car operation to catch these mofos.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM

I seen what you are talking about. I saw a Civic with those wheel locks on all four. I am sure they work and would be a total PIA to remove. Again, slowing them down is the key and those things are very visible and would be noticed if trying to take off. It works the same way the motorcycle locks work except much larger and I would think much stronger.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM

The only way to move a car that has all 4 wheels locked is...

http://youtu.be/dFe7L-UDxuU