New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

S2Ker from Los Angeles moving to New York City soon

Old 02-25-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Default S2Ker from Los Angeles moving to New York City soon

Sup NYCers,

I am from Los Angeles. Within a year, I plan to transfer to my firms' New York City office. It will be a complete change for me since I have grown up in LA for all my life. I visited NYC for a week last summer and immediately knew that NYC is where I had to spend my life while I'm still in my 20's.

I am asking for any help or input in regards to living (people have suggested Brookly or Queens because Manhattan is way too expensive). I was thinking about spending up to 600/month on rent and that would only be feasible with 2 additional roommates. I will need to find roommates.

Also, I do not plan to commute to work, I will take the subway. But I will need a place to store my s2000 for the weekdays. I will probably drive the car on weekends.

Any help and info would be great. And for sure, I will join you guys for NYC meets and drives and stuff.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 564 Likes on 507 Posts

Check out Hoboken, NJ. Rent may be a little bit cheaper and it is right across the river from NYC.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIVERDALE NY! 2 minutes from Manhattan by car. 3 express buses to the city, 1 subway, Metro north and city buses go through Riverdale to Manhattan.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:07 PM

wonderful, i'll check out both hoboken and riverdale. would those two recommendations be BETTER than brooklyn or queens, or are they additional recommendations?

Also...any ideas on where to store my car for the weekdays until i take it out on the weekends? Or maybe hoboken and riverdale aren't as bad as the city to park my car?
Old 02-25-2004, 12:11 PM

there are areas in brooklyn and queens that are nice. if you're going to be working in manhattan, there is no point in driving in. just take public transportation.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

hoboken is expensive. I think minimum is over $1,000 for 1 bed room. edgewater is also expensive but if you could get room mate, may be... same with fort lee but little cheaper than edgewater. cliffside park is another choice. if you are thinking of studio, minimum in NJ is around $800 where transportation is convinient. plus, if you like to have a garage or parking space it might be extra... good luck.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:32 PM

1,000 for a 1 bedroom can be shared with a roommate, which brings my rent down to 500/month = perfect.

so far, i will be checking out:

hoboken, NJ
Riverdale, NY
Edgewater, NJ
Fort Lee, NJ
Cliffside Park, NJ

thanks...I'll be seeing you guys soon within a year.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:46 PM

Hey dood.. if you're looking for areas in either Brooklyn or Queens.. i suggest some of these nice areas then...

In Brooklyn, theres Bensonhurst, Sheepshead Bay, Bay Ridge and Gravesend

In Queens, check out Bayside, Flushing, Fresh Meadows and Woodside
Old 02-25-2004, 07:05 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if youre planning on keeping your car, i highly suggest northern nj (the places you've already listed). bklyn and queens is kinda hard to find private parking unless you pay $$$.

i grew up in queens and manhattan, and when i decided that it was in my best interest to find a place with a garage or private parking, i lived in edgewater and fort lee, which are two very convienent and nice places to live. i now live in rockland county, ny.. the downside is that it's kinda far from the city, but i save about $2k/yr on insurance over nyc and nj.

we've been looking at places in westchester county (scarsdale, ardsley, hastings on hudson) lately. these places cost a little more to live in, but it's only a 30 minute ride via train into nyc, and we're looking to buy, not rent.

come on out a month before you move out here to find a place. expect to spend at least two weeks to find your dream apartment.

as a reference point for northern nj, in edgewater for a 3 bedroom condo we paid $2500, in fort lee we paid $2400/mo for a HUGE 2br w/ 2 car garage on 3 floors with working fireplace and hardwood floors. in rockland cty, i pay $1300/mo for a large 1br w/ 2 car garage.

if you can move out by the end of the month, i have a friend who's leaving a $800/mo studio w/ a reserved parking lot on the ft lee/cliffside park area.

good luck dude!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:08 PM

Hoboken Baby we could be neighbors lol Good luck if you need sum pointers on hoboken PM me and when you get down the metro guys can show you arround..

Quick Reply: S2Ker from Los Angeles moving to New York City soon