New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Replacing Battery

Old 10-30-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Battery

After 31 months my battery dosen't crank as strong. Plus, it died twice when I put my top down without starting the engine. I'm about to change to a optima yellow battery. Besides the radio code, is there anything else that needs resetting? How about my OEM alarm?
Thx In advance
Old 10-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No just the radio code. FYI, I've had really bad experiences with Optima Yellows in the s2000. I've gone through 2 of them in one year and went with the standard Die Hard from Sears. One boiled, and the other just died after a couple of months. Some posted that they aren't made in the U.S. anymore, not sure if that's true.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:58 PM

Good to know. Will it fit in the stock Battery tray? If so, I'll go with it. Would you have the part #?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Former Moderator

yes it fits in the stock battery tray. Don't have the part number handy, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 30 2005, 06:47 PM
FYI, I've had really bad experiences with Optima Yellows in the s2000. I've gone through 2 of them in one year and went with the standard Die Hard from Sears. One boiled, and the other just died after a couple of months. Some posted that they aren't made in the U.S. anymore, not sure if that's true.
Maybe driving the car occasionally would help?

Damn it. I was gonna' replace my 5 year old OEM w/ a Yellow Top Optima too. Higher CCA, weight savings and all that yellow bling.

I may do it anyway.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:50 PM

F that. Go with the Sears. Replaced my OEM last year, with a Die Hard, im very satisfied, and it's got that warranty.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 PM

Thanks All, gonna go with ole reliable Die Hard. I found the Item#
It's die hard gold for northern climates. Although it's 30lbs, Looks like good bang for the buck.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?B...otive+Batteries
Old 10-30-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yep. I got die hard as well.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jimi,Oct 30 2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks All, gonna go with ole reliable Die Hard.
I once had my generator go bad on my '63 Galaxy ... so I drove home with the battery powering the car without the generator ... about 75 miles. The next morning I managed to drop a spark plug wire onto the top of the battery while the car was running. I saw two sparks shoot their way into the top of the battery case, and when the third spark hit the battery, it blew up in my face. I went running around like maniac until I managed to grab a hose and hose off my face .

The entire top of the battery had blown off, but the innards and battery terminals were still in place.

I turned the key and even after I had driven the 8 cylinder car for 75 miles with only the battery providing power for the ignition, and then I had managed to blow up the battery, it still started the car. I drove to Sears in Hicksvile, explained that the battery had blown up, and got another one under warranty.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by freq,Oct 30 2005, 08:37 PM
Maybe driving the car occasionally would help?

Damn it. I was gonna' replace my 5 year old OEM w/ a Yellow Top Optima too. Higher CCA, weight savings and all that yellow bling.

I may do it anyway.
Actually driving the car was when I encountered the problems. The first time was after a long trip (about 200 miles). The next day it wouldn't crank even though it was only a few months old. Took it back to the store got it replaced. Drove the car to Fall Colors 04 on the way home started to smell rotten eggs (sulfur) inside the car. Got home popped the hood and actually could see the battery acid boiling inside.

BTW, I can't imagine the Optima Yellow weighed much less if any from the Die Hard.

Quick Reply: Replacing Battery