New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Powder coating wheels and calipers; Opinions on Color

Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powder coating wheels and calipers; Opinions on Color

Looking for some inspiration/opinions (pictures would help) as I'm on the fence in deciding which color to powder coat my CE28N. I bought this set back in 07 right after I bought my car (my very first mod) and drove around with it for two years and then it sat in the box for another two years before I decided it was time to get them fixed. (I've posted earlier for vendor recommendations for fixing wheels and I found one that did a great job)

I have a 07GPW with a black OEM hardtop during the fall/winter and soft-top for the spring/summer. I have sourced another set of OEM calipers that I plan to rebuilt and powder coat as I don't see the need to go the BBK route. I also plan to powder coat my OEM wheels, leaning towards to getting them in white.

I think the color of the calipers (I'm thinking gold) will dictate the color of the wheel. So what colors should I go with?

Calipers: Red, Black, Gold
CE28N: Matte Black, Gold, Red
OEM: White, Gunmetal

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black calipers, black wheels. Any other color caliper would look out of place.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going about it backwards. First pick the color of the wheel as that will be more visible and you want something that will look good. Then the color of the caliper should be different from the wheels, but needs to also help tie your car together. Depending on the theme of your engine bay you might want to go with something that accents it. But then again these are stock calipers and stock calipers never look good colored.

All in my opinion of course.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Black calipers will 'disappear".

Rebuilding rear calipers was a bitch, IMHO. Never again. But, my hi-temp black powdercoat on them has held up VERY well. So yeah, consider some hi-temp powder for the calipers.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't go wrong with black calipers.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Red calipers, followed by black calipers. Those are my opinions in order. Forget gold as I fear that looking cheesy. You don't want cheesy on your S. Lol. Black wheels always look nice on a white car. Do your OEMs in white I think.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil! Glad to see your post. It's been a long time.

Thanks for all the input. I'm dropping off the Volks first today and might get it done in white. Since selling my OEM wheels is an option as someone has already given interest.

Still waiting on the rebuilt kit to arrive so I have time to decide on which color to go with. Might do a set in gloss black and another set in red.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2LEGEND
Red calipers, followed by black calipers. Those are my opinions in order. Forget gold as I fear that looking cheesy. You don't want cheesy on your S. Lol. Black wheels always look nice on a white car. Do your OEMs in white I think.
If it's the right shade of gold it shouldn't look too bad. ITR calipers come stock with a gold look to them and it looks fine.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wheels have to be black with GPW. I'd to the calipers in yellow, they'll stand out but its not overdone like red is.

Mmmmmm...
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you may want to get the calipers ceramic coated instead of powdercoated due to the heat. talk to your powdercoater and see if he has high temp powdercoating.

Quick Reply: Powder coating wheels and calipers; Opinions on Color