New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

The potential for Super Autobacs

Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the prices in japan that you speak of were reasonable because foreign duties and all the taxes that are incurred getting the product to the USA have not been tacked on yet. Once that happens, it is inevitable that the prices that you're eventually going to charge will increase.

you have to remember, online stores save customers money because there's minimal overhead, a smaller staff, they save on shipping large quantities to a store across the country and they're not stuck with inventory.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 AM

what you are saying is true, but what you might not realize is that prices in japan for car parts are naturally higher then they are here, just like the cars. Pipedream? Yes? but possible? Yes. Research is being done at the moment, although there is much much more needed.

turbo pwr- you are right about the concentration in socal and how it works. but remember if location is right. That kind of thing wont matter because people will make the 45 mins to hour long trip. An area around DC, Baltimore, Philly and DE would be perfect. The concentration in that square area alone is enough to support the company, not to mention the people that are close in NJ and PA.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kzorz,Oct 25 2006, 10:33 AM
what you are saying is true, but what you might not realize is that prices in japan for car parts are naturally higher then they are here, just like the cars.

So you're trying to tell me that if I was in Japan, buying a Japanese part, from a local Japanese tuning house, I would be paying higher for the same part that has had the taxes/tariffs and transportation fees attached to it here?

Someone needs to go back to Economics 101.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes this different from the other shops in the area? What makes your idea special?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by bkw,Oct 25 2006, 07:50 AM
What makes this different from the other shops in the area? What makes your idea special?
just look at the autobacs website, have you seen anything like that before?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 25 2006, 07:44 AM

So you're trying to tell me that if I was in Japan, buying a Japanese part, from a local Japanese tuning house, I would be paying higher for the same part that has had the taxes/tariffs and transportation fees attached to it here?

Someone needs to go back to Economics 101.
im sorry, you are correct. I didnt mean to put the "parts" subject in there. it just costs more to own a car over there. And the people that do arent afraid to shovel out the money for expensive parts. The pricing over here is definitely more expensive. sorry for my stupidity.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
bkw

Originally Posted by s2kzorz,Oct 25 2006, 10:52 AM
just look at the autobacs website, have you seen anything like that before?
I've autobacs in westminster. It's basically a inflated pep boys type super store filled with goodies primarily for JAPANESE cars with the occasional euro bit strewn about.

There's something like that already on the east coast called Nopi.

The reason why super autobacs even exists and strives in Japan is the concetration of Japanese cars. We have pep boys and auto zone, they have autobacs.

Good luck man.. and if you do open something up, I'd be a customer.. hoping to pick something up during the GOOB sale.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 25 2006, 07:14 AM
Your "goal" while well intentioned is not thought out and just a pipedream at this point. You haven't done enough research, building a warehouse (extra cost and overhead), stocking additional items (extra cost and overhead), and guess what? You still have to transport it from the west coast to the east coast, how would it get here?

Super Autobacs is a privately owned company with a few stores spread out Japan and one in the United States. It works in Cali because of the concentration, it doesn't work here because people are so spread out. The prices are cheaper in Japan because you don't have to factor in tariffs and shipping, isn't that obvious?

Plus, the roadways are completely different over here in the NorthEast.
In places like Florida, and California most roads would be considered interstate freeways here in the NE. We don't have as many 3-lane roads as you do, so it takes longer to drive long distances. Then you have to factor-in the time it takes to travel to whatever highways we do have.

Look, there's a place called Mother's out on Route 46. In fact, there's a whole chain of "Tuner Stores" on Rt.46 (most of them a Rip-off). Anyway...
Mapquest says I live like 15 miles from these places.... but it would take me 30-45 minutes to get there due to traffic.

Think about it. I live in Northern NJ.
Philadelphia > 2+ hours
Long Island (far end: Billman) > 2+ hours
Washington DC > 4+ hours

And that's with little to no traffic.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 AM

That is why location is important. I know that I cant please everyone here, and thats why im looking for feedback
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM

As far as logistics are concerned many east coast companies ship
their containers all water direct to ny.As congestion in Long Beach CA
is a growing problem . A 20' OR 40' container is cheaper to bring here
direct by all water than going to via mlb (mini land bridge)which is a train from the port of long beach to the east coast .All water at one point was 7 to 10 days longer now it's only 3-4 days longer and alot cheaper.Many of the delays are blamed on Wal-mart and the amount
of goods they bring in .
You can also pre clear the goods as well with your customs broker to save more time .Another tip is to always ship full 20' or 40' containers lcl shipments (loose cargo) can = problems .Many smart importers always have a container or two on the water in transit as this acts as a warehouse and saves space and money .
Also in buying goods there are various terms called cif cost in freight
which i don't advise and fob freight on board which gives you control on
the type of service you require .A letter of credit has to be setup.
There is alot more but your goal is a good one and if i can be of some help just ask .
There are also people here involed in banking and can get you setup
with letters of credit and wire transfers .
Also you may not want to build a warehouse but lease one.
The location well that is up to you but the more distance from the port
the more it will cost to get the container to you .
So N.J AND LONG ISLAND may be the way to go.
Also you can sign a volume deal with
ups ,dhl ,fedx as many vendors do some pass the savings on to us other keep it .
good luck and i wish you the best

Quick Reply: The potential for Super Autobacs